2008 Grand world Voyage 50th anniversary

Grumpy1

I just received the 2008 GWV itinerary and thought some of you might like to see it. For those that love sea days... 8 in a row between Panama Canal and French Polynesia. No stops in Mexico, California and Hawaii.

Comments??

2008 GRAND WORLD VOYAGE – 50th Golden Anniversary

111/114-Day (Calendar Days)

Ft. Lauderdale to New York/Ft. Lauderdale

ms Amsterdam -- Jan 4, 2008

DAY DATE TEMP PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Fri Jan 4 78° FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA 5:00pm

Sat Jan 5 At sea

Sun Jan 6 80° George Town, Grand Cayman 8:00am 5:00pm

Mon Jan 7 At sea

Tue Jan 8 83° Puerto Limón (San José), Costa Rica 7:00am 5:00pm

Wed Jan 9 Enter Panama Canal at Cristóbal, Panama 5:00am

Daylight transit Panama Canal

Leave Panama Canal at Balboa, Panama 7:00pm

89° Fuerte Amador (Panama City), Panama 8:00pm

Thu Jan 10 Fuerte Amador 5:00pm

Fri Jan 11 At sea

Sat Jan 12 At sea

Sun Jan 13 At sea

Mon Jan 14 At sea

Tue Jan 15 At sea

Wed Jan 16 At sea

Thu Jan 17 At sea

Fri Jan 18 At sea

Sat Jan 19 78° Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia 8:00am 6:00pm

Sun Jan 20 At sea

Mon Jan 21 89° Papeete, Tahiti, Society Islands, French Polynesia Noon

Tue Jan 22 Papeete 6:00pm

Wed Jan 23 86° Bora Bora, Society Islands, French Polynesia 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Jan 24 At sea

Fri Jan 25 At sea

Sat Jan 26 86° Apia, Upolu, Samoa 8:00am 6:00pm

Mon Jan 28 Crossing the International Date Line

Tue Jan 29 84° Nuku’alofa, Tonga 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Jan 30 At sea

Thu Jan 31 At sea

Fri Feb 1 73° Auckland, New Zealand 7:00am 6:00pm

Sat Feb 2 At sea

Sun Feb 3 67° Wellington, New Zealand 7:00am 6:00pm

Mon Feb 4 69° Christchurch, New Zealand 7:00am 7:00pm

Tue Feb 5 66° Dunedin, New Zealand 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Feb 6 Scenic cruising Fiordland National Park 9:00am 5:00pm

Scenic cruising Dusky, Doubtful and Milford Sounds

Milford Sound* 5:00pm 6:00pm

Thu Feb 7 At sea

Fri Feb 8 At sea

Sat Feb 9 79° Sydney, Australia 8:00am

Sun Feb 10 SYDNEY 11:00pm

Mon Feb 11 At sea

Tue Feb 12 80° Melbourne, Australia 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Feb 13 At sea

Thu Feb 14 At sea

Fri Feb 15 At sea

Sat Feb 16 89° Perth, Australia 8:00am 11:00pm

Sun Feb 17 At sea

Mon Feb 18 At sea

Tue Feb 19 At sea

Wed Feb 20 86° Padang Bai, Bali, Indonesia 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 21 At sea

Fri Feb 22 At sea

Sat Feb 23 At sea

Sun Feb 24 86° Muara (Bandar Seri Begawan), Brunei 8:00am 5:00pm

Mon Feb 25 At sea

Tue Feb 26 88° Manila, Philippines 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Feb 27 At sea

Thu Feb 28 67° Hong Kong, People’s Republic of China 8:00am

Fri Feb 29 HONG KONG 11:00pm

Sat Mar 1 At sea

Sun Mar 2 71° Halong Bay, Vietnam 8:00am 3:00pm

Mon Mar 3 81° Da Nang, Vietnam 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Mar 4 At sea

Wed Mar 5 83° Phu My, Vietnam 6:00am 7:00pm

Thu Mar 6 At sea

Fri Mar 7 88° Singapore, Republic of Singapore 8:00am

Sat Mar 8 SINGAPORE 8:00pm

Sun Mar 9 At sea

Mon Mar 10 At sea

Tue Mar 11 At sea

Wed Mar 12 90° Chennai (Madras), India 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Mar 13 At sea

Fri Mar 14 At sea

Sat Mar 15 At sea

Sun Mar 16 89° MUMBAI (BOMBAY), INDIA 8:00am

Mon Mar 17 Mumbai 11:00pm

Tue Mar 18 At sea

Wed Mar 19 At sea

Thu Mar 20 77° Salālah, Oman 7:00am 5:00pm

Fri Mar 21 At sea

Sat Mar 22 At sea

Sun Mar 23 At sea

Mon Mar 24 69° Safâga, Egypt 7:00am 11:00pm

Tue Mar 25 At sea

Wed Mar 26 Daylight transit Suez Canal 6:00am 6:00pm

Thu Mar 27 68° Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt 6:00am 10:00pm

Fri Mar 28 At sea

Sat Mar 29 56° Istanbul, Turkey Noon

Sun Mar 30 ISTANBUL 11:00pm

Mon Mar 31 At sea

Tue Apr 1 60° Sochi, Russia 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Apr 2 48° Sevastopol, Ukraine 10:00am 6:00pm

Thu Apr 3 At sea, daylight cruising Bosporus

Fri Apr 4 65° Santoríni, Greece 8:00am 4:00pm

Sat Apr 5 At sea

Sun Apr 6 61° Venice, Italy Noon

Mon Apr 7 VENICE 5:00pm

Tue Apr 8 63° Split, Croatia 8:00am 2:00pm

Wed Apr 9 At sea

Thu Apr 10 77° Ţarābulus (Tripoli), Libya 8:00am 7:00pm

Fri Apr 11 At sea

Sat Apr 12 At sea

Sun Apr 13 66° Gibraltar, British Territory 7:00am 2:00pm

Mon Apr 14 65° LISBON, PORTUGAL 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Apr 15 At sea

Wed Apr 16 65° Funchal, Madeira 7:00am 5:00pm

Thu Apr 17 At sea

Fri Apr 18 At sea

Sat Apr 19 At sea

Sun Apr 20 At sea

Mon Apr 21 At sea

Tue Apr 22 71° Ireland Island, Bermuda 8:00am 4:00pm

Wed Apr 23 At sea

Thu Apr 24 61° NEW YORK, NEW YORK 7:00am 4:45pm

Fri Apr 25 At sea

Sat Apr 26 At sea

Sun Apr 27 83° FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA 7:00am

I just received the 2008 GWV itinerary and thought some of you might like to see it.

Hi Grumpy,

Looks like a good itinerary. Some of the old and a dash of the new.

Any idea what our beloved PRINSENDAM will be doing in January 08?

Stephen

I just received the 2008 GWV itinerary and thought some of you might like to see it.

Hi Grumpy,

Looks like a good itinerary. Some of the old and a dash of the new.

Any idea what our beloved PRINSENDAM will be doing in January 08?

Stephen

Not a clue... yet. but it was fairly late last year before the 2007 schedule was announced. My bet is that they will see how well the advance sales on the Amsterdam GWV go before deciding on complimentary Prinsendam voyages.

Looks like a good itinerary, but am disappointed that there will be no stops in Hawaii. There definitely are alot of sea days. We are seriously considering this cruise because it is the 50th anniversary, but I would like to see what the Prinsendam is offering. Just happen to like the prinsendam's size and SY catagory that you cannot get on the Amsterdam. Have put the $100 down to get first dibs at the cabins.

Thanks for the information Grumpy! I have been waiting to see what the itinerary would be for the 2008 GWV. Can never have too many sea days--disappointed that there are no stops in Hawaii--love those islands!

Seriously considering taking my daughter on this GWV before she graduates High School (in 2009) and goes off to college.

I am surprised that the Rotterdam was not scheduled for the GWV :( since it is the 50th anniversary of the Rotterdam's first WV but one never knows... I have been sailing with HAL since the late 70's and I do know that there are always surprises. :rolleyes:

Will be curious to see if the Prinsendam will be scheduled.

Thanks again Grumpy for the info!! Loved your writings (as well as your keen sense of humor) from your World Cruise.

With the New Zealand ports and better ones in Australia, the 2008 World Cruise sounds much better than the 2007 one.

How does one handles ones income tax being gone most of April?

I do my income tax online.:eek:

That's some itinerary. But it's way too many days for us. As much as we love cruising, we'd be ready to get home long before the cruise ended.

This itinerary is my "dream cruise." My problem is, though, that while I could certainly enjoy being onboard ship for that long a period, I would find myself unemployed upon my return. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am surprised that the Rotterdam was not scheduled for the GWV :( since it is the 50th anniversary of the Rotterdam's first WV but one never knows... I have been sailing with HAL since the late 70's and I do know that there are always surprises. :rolleyes:

Dear Dam High Seaser!

OK... time to check the history books again. ;)

The 2008 WC will not be the 50th Anniversar of the old ROTTERDAM's maiden world cruise.... that was in 1961.

It was the old STATENDAM that made HAL's first world cruise... in 1958. And the old VEENDAM made it in 1974.

Interesting that you would prefer to make a world cruise in the PRINSENDAM over AMSTERDAM. I think a lot of people would prefer the smaller ship. Obviously none of us are going to rush out and sign up for the world cruise in the QUEEN MARY 2. A world cruise... with 2' date='500 guests! No thank you!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

[/indent']

This itinerary is my "dream cruise." My problem is, though, that while I could certainly enjoy being onboard ship for that long a period, I would find myself unemployed upon my return. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Girl, it's time you get your priorities straight! A chance to fulfill a dream may not come around again... but you can always get another job:D

With the New Zealand ports and better ones in Australia, the 2008 World Cruise sounds much better than the 2007 one.

How does one handles ones income tax being gone most of April?

Before we left I did a quick runup with a tax software package using the information that was available. While not exact, it gave me a pretty good idea where I stood on the witholding. I filed for an extension and sent a check that I was sure would more than cover the total tax bill and off we went. No problem! I had figured it pretty close and got a refund of a couple hundred when I filed.

Before we left I did a quick runup with a tax software package using the information that was available. While not exact, it gave me a pretty good idea where I stood on the witholding. I filed for an extension and sent a check that I was sure would more than cover the total tax bill and off we went. No problem! I had figured it pretty close and got a refund of a couple hundred when I filed.

The big problem I find is that institutions aren't required to submit 1099-R forms to you until 31 January. So if you leave in early January you're operating on a "by guess, by golly" and as you point out are forced into sending a check for probably more than you owe.

I, too, am considering this cruise and see the IRS situation as particularly troublesome, potentially. Particularly, since the deparature is so early in January.

Does the IRS have extension to file request forms available by late December of the old tax year?

As far as trying to predict what one might owe, keeping accurate, running records of income received when bank, brokerage account, etc. statements arrive throughout the year should be helpful in determining what one's gross income ought to be. Certainly no 1099s will be in our mailboxes by sailing day, 2008.

Spoke with a passenger on the Westerdam a couple of weeks ago -- that passenger has a close relative who works for HAL. When I enquired about the future of the Prinsendam the answer I received was that the Prinsendam is too much of a good money maker for HAL -- they will not sell her and that she is scheduled for a very major refit in about a year or so to keep her going strong....add that to the rumor mill....

Wish we could afford a world voyage -- that itinerary is very tempting -- there is one particular segment we could be VERY interested in.....

Soooooooooo, what is this little excursion going to cost? What are the price ranges?;)
Unknown at this point, John. After they see how many $100 deposits they get, based on the itinerary release, they'll determine the maximum they can charge:rolleyes:

and.... is it deductible?
Well... the first stop is Grand Caymen, long known as an offshore tax haven, so be sure to take the shore excursion that includes a stop for opening a bank account. :D Since having your money there reduces your tax bite, you are essentially producing income. And expenses incurred in the production of income... i.e. the cost of the cruise... are tax deductible.

Just be aware that, should you try this, you might have a very long "vacation" in your future... :eek:

I, too, am considering this cruise and see the IRS situation as particularly troublesome, potentially. Particularly, since the deparature is so early in January.

Does the IRS have extension to file request forms available by late December of the old tax year?

As far as trying to predict what one might owe, keeping accurate, running records of income received when bank, brokerage account, etc. statements arrive throughout the year should be helpful in determining what one's gross income ought to be. Certainly no 1099s will be in our mailboxes by sailing day, 2008.

Advance planning is the key. Depending on the sources of income, it can get tricky. If you are withdrawing from annuities, for example, the payments may be a mix of taxable and non taxable income. Mutual fund distributions can have simple interest, dividends, short term and long term capital gains. Most of the time you won't have an accurate breakdown until the 1099's arrive. If you do your taxes yourself, the easiest way is to guesstimate high and give the government an interest free loan for a few months. If you use an accountant that you have an ongoing relationship with, they can probably handle things for you.

I think the extension for time to file is available prior to the end of the year. It's included in all of the tax software programs, and the preliminary versions of those programs are usually available well before the end of the year.

Unknown at this point, John. After they see how many $100 deposits they get, based on the itinerary release, they'll determine the maximum they can charge:rolleyes:

I like that reasoning; a $100 can go a long way towards the PH! thanks for the info!;)

Thank you, Grumpy, for your input. I do my own taxes, but have not yet tried any tax software. I did not realize that an extension to file was part of that software. This may be the year that I learn to do something else with the computer!

Thanks!

Wish we could afford a world voyage -- that itinerary is very tempting -- there is one particular segment we could be VERY interested in.....

Then call your TA and get your $100.00 deposit in: it is fully refundable if you decide against taking even one segment. One segment by the way qualifies you as a Grand Mariner and you qualify for an even deeper discount if you take any segments on future GWV's.

I'm taking the first two segments on the 2007 GWV and have my eye on the last two segments of the 2008 GWV. I can't afford an entire GWV (well, I could but I would have to sell the house first;) ) so I am attempting a GWV in stages!

Valerie:D

* Sorry - the original quote should be attributed to Arzz.

Archived