Is a "sheltered" balcony on QM2 the same as in-hull?

judyzoo

I've read some of the threads on here about the in-hull balconies and am wondering whether this is the same as what Cunard refers to as "sheltered" balconies. Specifically, I'm looking at category B4 (or possibly B1, 2, or 3). What kind of window is in the cabin portion of these cabins?

Yes, these cabins used to be referred to as "in-hull" by Cunard but since this year they have changed the description to "sheltered". Thus you will see both terms being used for these balcony rooms.

Can't answer the window question specifically. I'll be in my first of these types of rooms in December - B3 category.

I've read some of the threads on here about the in-hull What kind of window is in the cabin portion of these cabins?

Hi

In the wall between cabin and balcony...

On decks 4 5 6 the sheltered balcony cabins have one glass door and one non opening glass panel with solid walls beyond on each side (covered by drapes).

On decks 8 9 10 11 12 the balcony cabins have a wall of glass with a glass door and no solid walls to each side (in the wall between cabin and balcony).

Hope my description is good enough for you to understand, I'm sorry if it isn't. Let me know.

Very best wishes,

On decks 4 5 6 the sheltered balcony cabins have a glass door slightly off centre and one non opening glass panel with solid walls beyond on each side (covered by drapes).

Do you have any idea of the size of the glass panel on these decks? Such as porthole size or picture window size?

Judy,

I have been in a B3 category cabin with a hull/sheltered balcony twice and am booked again in the very same cabin for the October 12, New England/Canada cruise.

As mentioned above, hull was first used and now sheltered is being used in the catalogs. Deck Four, Five, and Six cabins are in the hull of the ship, that's the big bathtub part of a ship. All other cabins are in the superstructure of the ship that sits ontop of the hull.

In the cabins with the sheltered balconines, there is a large glass door that opens out with a large glass window next to it. Both are floor to near ceiling in height with heavy materialed draw drapes. Think of glass sliding patio doors. The photos in the recent Cunard brochure show it.

As far as cabins with no balconies on these deck, they have a good size window above the bed and basically have more interior space.

Maybe someone else who reads your message with give you a link to a photo of these cabins.

Bon Voyage........Terrence

Hi

In the wall between cabin and balcony...

On decks 8 9 10 11 12 the balcony cabins have a wall of glass with a glass door and no solid walls to each side (in the wall between cabin and balcony).

Very best wishes,

Sorry, should have said 8 11 12 (Britannia class) cabins, 9 and 10 are different again.

I've read some of the threads on here about the in-hull balconies and am wondering whether this is the same as what Cunard refers to as "sheltered" balconies. Specifically, I'm looking at category B4 (or possibly B1, 2, or 3). What kind of window is in the cabin portion of these cabins?

I just upgraded from an inside to a B4 for $99.00 (a special they are running) Would be interested in seeing what the cabin & balcony look like, anyone have pictures?

Thanks to all of you for the information on these cabins. I've booked a B4 in-hull guarantee for December -- probably using the same special that cusyl referred to. These rates look very good, so I couldn't resist.

Which December sailing? There's a great roll call for the Dec 2 sailing of which I am on. However, you can't go wrong on any date.

We'll be on the December 16 sailing. I'll have to check whether there's a roll call for that date. Really looking forward to another Cunard sailing, and I think the in-hull balcony will be fine; different, but fine.

I just got back from 24 days in cabin 5055. it is in hull. Full glass door, full balcony. Only difference is there is a solid piece below the railing. That is the only difference. We found on transatlantic that worked nicely. A little shelter from a lot of wind. Had same accomodations in Carabbean last year. Not full sun but then the deck was so much more pleasant any way. Feel free to ask away. We will be back Dec. 23

rusty27371@aol.com

We were in those cabins last year, they are great, and more private than the upper ones, they do feel a bit enclosed compared to the glass fronted ones but if you run into rough seas I think you will be grateful for that, also if you suffer from sea sickness there is a lot less roll down there.

We are in the superstructure this year but behind the lifeboats, nothing wrong with the ones you have booked, we just thought we would try something different.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=276891&page=2

on this thread post 32 has a 360 view of an in hull balcony(the balcony part).....

Thanks to that poster....

No probs... just finished an "onland" cruise around Crete and belive me, my (land) 4 star hotel was dire.

Where can I find Cunard Class on land??

Jack

http://www.jackatsea.com

Judy,

I have been in a B3 category cabin with a hull/sheltered balcony twice and am booked again in the very same cabin for the October 12, New England/Canada cruise.

As mentioned above, hull was first used and now sheltered is being used in the catalogs. Deck Four, Five, and Six cabins are in the hull of the ship, that's the big bathtub part of a ship. All other cabins are in the superstructure of the ship that sits ontop of the hull.

In the cabins with the sheltered balconines, there is a large glass door that opens out with a large glass window next to it. Both are floor to near ceiling in height with heavy materialed draw drapes. Think of glass sliding patio doors. The photos in the recent Cunard brochure show it.

As far as cabins with no balconies on these deck, they have a good size window above the bed and basically have more interior space.

Maybe someone else who reads your message with give you a link to a photo of these cabins.

Bon Voyage........Terrence

Terrence,

My 87 year old father and his new bride.............they're getting married tomorrow..............will be on your cruise. Do you know of anyone who has shipped their bags to the ship? Thinking this might be a good option for them. Anything else you can think of that would make this an easier trip for them would be appreciated. They're flying in from California.

Thanks.............

JudyZoo,

We just booked the same week! First time on this line. We have cruised many times. Hope this isn't too Fancy for us.

So, we'll have a couple of Floridians on this cruise! I think you'll like Cunard. We've sailed on QE2 (and others), and after the last few cruises on Carnival and RCI are looking forward to something a bit more upscale, for a change of pace; hope we're not disappointed.

JudyZoo,

We just booked the same week! First time on this line. We have cruised many times. Hope this isn't too Fancy for us.

Hi There

Don't worry about the ship being too fancy, of course it is elegant, refined and the food and service is wonderful, however it not stuffy or pretentious. I'm sure you will love it, The QE2 is a lot more formal than the QM2

Archived