moisianite

momofmeg

I sort've agree-think of all the trips to Europe that would pay for huh?

One thing I learned, is color, or lack of color makes a diamond's price go up more then clarity. Why any one would want a F I1 diamond is beyond me. Give me a J vs2 or J si1 over that. I want shine and clarity over bad, opaque looking white diamonds. But the F i1 is about double the J vs2 stone of the same size.

I had never heard of an I1 grade, so I asked DH who knows a lot about diamonds. He said he can't imagine why anyone would buy one. It's lower than an S1. He's says they're like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - junk diamonds.

I wouldn't go with a J color, it's going to be a dark stone. I'd go smaller but better color. I'm not a diamond maven (DH is, he can grade a diamond on a woman's hand from 2 feet away!), but color - or bad color - is easy for me to spot.

I had never heard of an I1 grade, so I asked DH who knows a lot about diamonds. He said he can't imagine why anyone would buy one. It's lower than an S1. He's says they're like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - junk diamonds.

I wouldn't go with a J color, it's going to be a dark stone. I'd go smaller but better color. I'm not a diamond maven (DH is, he can grade a diamond on a woman's hand from 2 feet away!), but color - or bad color - is easy for me to spot.

A J color is not dark-unless you put it by a G-if the stone has a good shine it will still look better then that G grade I1-at least the ones I saw- and in my mind preferable-I guess they sell this stuff because American women want to wear diamonds-but I agree the moissanite would be better then bad diamonds-it looks like the real thing and even tests like the real thing-jewelers have to have a special tester to differante.

I really like colored stones better as I said-especially in the blue family-no matter the stone!

but you know, many women will buy something just because they were told it was "good" and a "designer" by a fast talking salesperson-I know an older lady that has a cluster diamond cocktail ring of about 1 carat total - it is probally made up of between 15 -25 diamonds-so 4 to 5 points per stone-these are not good diamonds-they are WHITE diamonds, very white, but are cloudy so I know the clarity is not good on them-but she said she paid $6000 for the ring and the poor thing thinks she has something good and she is very proud of that ring. I say she was ripped off.

A J color is not dark-unless you put it by a G-if the stone has a good shine it will still look better then that G grade I1-at least the ones I saw- and in my mind preferable-

Well yeah, that's my point. It is dark when it's near a better stone. My ring is a high quality, and either an F or G color (i forget), and when I look at some rings on other people's hands and then look at mine, I can see a big difference.

For diamond stud earrings, a darker stone (ie cheaper stone) is okay, but not for a ring...in my opinion. Again, when working within a budget, I'd go for a smaller, but better stone.

but you know, many women will buy something just because they were told it was "good" and a "designer" by a fast talking salesperson-I know an older lady that has a cluster diamond cocktail ring of about 1 carat total - it is probally made up of between 15 -25 diamonds-so 4 to 5 points per stone-these are not good diamonds-they are WHITE diamonds, very white, but are cloudy so I know the clarity is not good on them-but she said she paid $6000 for the ring and the poor thing thinks she has something good and she is very proud of that ring. I say she was ripped off.

What a shame for her. I never consider total weight - other than when buying. To me, when someone say's their ring is XXX carat total weight, it sounds silly to me. A diamond's worth is in the size of a single stone. I'd rather have a 2 carat stone, then 5 carats worth of small stones of the same quality. Much more significant. However, with your friend, the money is in the labor of setting the 15-25 stones. The cost of the stones, especially since you say they're not very good, is insignificant. That she paid $6000 for a ring of poor quality stones is a shame. That's a lot of money for the labor! Anyone buying something like that should have it appraised before purchasing, but she's obviously not as savvy as you. If you buy a unique design of insignificant diamonds from a company like Cartier, Tiffany or H. Stern, at least you're guaranteed a unique, trademarked design with high quality stones.

Well yeah, that's my point. It is dark when it's near a better stone. My ring is a high quality, and either an F or G color (i forget), and when I look at some rings on other people's hands and then look at mine, I can see a big difference.

For diamond stud earrings, a darker stone (ie cheaper stone) is okay, but not for a ring...in my opinion. Again, when working within a budget, I'd go for a smaller, but better stone.

What a shame for her. I never consider total weight - other than when buying. To me, when someone say's their ring is XXX carat total weight, it sounds silly to me. A diamond's worth is in the size of a single stone. I'd rather have a 2 carat stone, then 5 carats worth of small stones of the same quality. Much more significant. However, with your friend, the money is in the labor of setting the 15-25 stones. The cost of the stones, especially since you say they're not very good, is insignificant. That she paid $6000 for a ring of poor quality stones is a shame. That's a lot of money for the labor! Anyone buying something like that should have it appraised before purchasing, but she's obviously not as savvy as you. If you buy a unique design of insignificant diamonds from a company like Cartier, Tiffany or H. Stern, at least you're guaranteed a unique, trademarked design with high quality stones.

Ofcourse! but you know the "candlelight" diamonds are very popular now-which is really just light champagne and are like a R, much darker then a J. I think they are ugly but many people like them. I feel it is just a sales pitch jewelers have come up with to sell bad diamonds. But then again that is what the irrigated colored diamonds are -diamonds too dark in color to look white but still have good clarity, they are heated and then the diamonds turn a blue, green, red, yellow etc. so hense the reason they are MUCH less expensive-but I like mine! and it being irrigated doesn't bother me-so was my london blue topaz,those are not mined naturally.

but you know Jane, I have a feeling no matter how nice a diamond I got, or how big or what ever I am still going to want more! I love jewelry and it is like an addiction for me!

My sapphire ring I told you about-I actually bought off Ebay, after selling a bunch of stuff I no longer wore. I paid I think $175 for it and it was well worth what I paid.

The sapphire is dark, a navy, you can see the blue in it though, so not like those black things but certainly not a cashmere! but, you know I like it and I guess that is what counts. Ofcourse, me being me, I will be tired of it in a few years and want something better!

but that is what makes life worth living, anticipation. If we have everything we want now-then we have nothing to look forward to.

back to my friend who bought that diamond, she bought that after her husband died from a little two bit jeweler who has her convinced he has the best because he does not deal "mass market". (Not that there is not some truth in that mass market thinge-but still he is just a two bit jeweler-)she has a beautiful one carat diamond that is sort've a rounded off square-so not princess-but similiar-that he bought her for their 40th anniversary. A much nicer diamond!

I need to correct myself! Anticipation does not make life worth living, that is family, friends, belief in a higher being and a purpose in life. Anticipation makes life more enjoyable!

I think that is why I like cruisecritic so much-I love discussing upcoming cruises with others,as much as I love cruising, I find the anticaption of a cruise means more to me! and ultimately makes my cruise more enjoyable!

I checked my appraisal...it reads as I remember it should. The earrings are F vs...very clear sparkly stones. Every time I get them cleaned I get a "wow those are beautiful" comment from the jewelers. They are set in 18 kt yellow gold, and I really love them. The baguettes in the ring are H vs, beautifully set in 14 kt yelllow gold. I googled the jeweler, just for the heck of it, and found some wonderful reviews on them, so next time I am on 47th and 5th, I'll drop back in. :D

I checked my appraisal...it reads as I remember it should. The earrings are F vs...very clear sparkly stones. Every time I get them cleaned I get a "wow those are beautiful" comment from the jewelers. They are set in 18 kt yellow gold, and I really love them. The baguettes in the ring are H vs, beautifully set in 14 kt yelllow gold. I googled the jeweler, just for the heck of it, and found some wonderful reviews on them, so next time I am on 47th and 5th, I'll drop back in. :D

That's great! I'm glad you found one of the good guys on 47th Street!

You should definitely go back next time you're in my little small town! :D

Ofcourse! but you know the "candlelight" diamonds are very popular now-which is really just light champagne and are like a R, much darker then a J. I think they are ugly but many people like them. I feel it is just a sales pitch jewelers have come up with to sell bad diamonds. But then again that is what the irrigated colored diamonds are -diamonds too dark in color to look white but still have good clarity, they are heated and then the diamonds turn a blue, green, red, yellow etc. so hense the reason they are MUCH less expensive-but I like mine! and it being irrigated doesn't bother me-so was my london blue topaz,those are not mined naturally.

but you know Jane, I have a feeling no matter how nice a diamond I got, or how big or what ever I am still going to want more! I love jewelry and it is like an addiction for me!

My sapphire ring I told you about-I actually bought off Ebay, after selling a bunch of stuff I no longer wore. I paid I think $175 for it and it was well worth what I paid.

The sapphire is dark, a navy, you can see the blue in it though, so not like those black things but certainly not a cashmere! but, you know I like it and I guess that is what counts. Ofcourse, me being me, I will be tired of it in a few years and want something better!

but that is what makes life worth living, anticipation. If we have everything we want now-then we have nothing to look forward to.

back to my friend who bought that diamond, she bought that after her husband died from a little two bit jeweler who has her convinced he has the best because he does not deal "mass market". (Not that there is not some truth in that mass market thinge-but still he is just a two bit jeweler-)she has a beautiful one carat diamond that is sort've a rounded off square-so not princess-but similiar-that he bought her for their 40th anniversary. A much nicer diamond!

You know a lot more about the "fashion" diamonds than I do. I honestly don't keep up with the trends. For diamonds, I'm a traditionalist and don't see the point of colored stones. Certain stones I'll invest in, like diamond, aquamarine or pearls, and then the rest I'm more interested in the setting. (as long as the stone is good quality) A friend of mine, who's a stone maven, went to a gem show this summer and called me and found a gorgeous unusually cut 20 carat topaz from a guy who consistantly wins "best of show" in gem cutting. The price was within my budget and I had her buy it for me. Now I'm sitting with it deciding how to set it. Maybe in the spring I'll bring it to someone who can create something fabulous from it.

Enjoy your saphire ring! Can't go wrong for that price!

I just love jewely in general.

One of my favorite rings is actually a multi gemstone set in sterling silver by Nicky Butler.

It is rounds,marquises, and princess cut stones of ameythst, peridot and citrine-and these stones are beautiful in color. It is also kyte shaped and big and I wear it on my pointer finger as it would look ridiculous on any of my other fingers.

This ring is as beautiful as any diamond ring I have ever seen and I paid under $100 for it.

Nicky Butler is a wonderful designer. I understand he does designs in diamonds and gold but I would never be able to afford any of it. I would imagine a design of his like my ring in diamonds and gold would be $10,000 if not much more.

Archived