moisianite

momofmeg

How many of you have bought this? I have considered it-I am just afraid although it looks good-will it look like bad CZ's in 10 years or so?

any thoughts?

I havent bought any of this however I have bought a pr of earrings from QVC, their diamonique.....and they still look good after 12 years.......

momofmeg, I have not bought any moissanite but considered it and read many reviews. There is a lot on the web about the product. It is not a small investment and I see it being sold in more mainstream stores these days.

I had considered a pair of studs to replace my diamonds which were stolen a few years ago.

I contacted a good friend who designs jewelry and works with diamonds in New York and asked for his opinion. He advised me not to buy it for quite a few reasons. One is that there really has not been a true value attached to it yet so it is an unproven investment. The other is that is prone to discoloration over time.

So, I have my studs on a lay a way plan now and it is going to take awhile to pay them off but I am more comfortable investing in diamonds.

I have had a moissanite ring since it first began being marketed to consumers. Only about 5 jewelers in the country were selling it and one of them happened to be in the area in which we lived at the time. Having had mine for years I can truly say that there has been no discoloration at all and I still love it just as much as when I first bought it. I had it set surrounded by diamonds and you cannot tell the difference with the naked eye. It's pretty easy to get now, even JC Penney is selling it. And the price has gone way up. You should do what you are comfortable with. I have both diamonds and the one moissanite and even some diamonique (which imho doesn't look all that real) and I enjoy them all.

thanks everyone-caviergal i know it wouldnot have a real value but they also say diamonds have noe real value that they are plentiful that Debeers? I am sure I do not have that name right- will buy up any new mine findfs so they can control the price.

You know I said I was going to trade up my past present furture ring and that I was not sentimental about it like my original engagement ring but as our 25th anniversary looms closer I am beginning to rethink that. I have about decided I want the center stone on it set down lower and a bezel put around it like the other 2 stones and then I could safely wear it always.

I know it is still a pretty big envestement of money for moissanite, a 2 carat ring is like $1300 but cavier gal you KNOW for that in a diamond I would add another 1 to that.

To the post who has bought the QVC diamonique-I have some of that-it is pretty and mine has never clouded either-it just looks TOO good like a D flawless diamond- so obviously "fake" as I do not have that kind of money, now it does not bother me "to glam it up" on formal night and wear diamonique but if I get an another ring to wear with my past-present -future ring I want it to be better.

But on the other hand I certainly do not want to pay $1300 for a ring that will discolor just like a cz will over time-save my money and buy the CZ huh?

To the last post how long have you had your ring?

The other thing I thought of is to just buy a really nice gemstone-like Santa Anna Aquamarine - set in a solitare and wear that with my past-present future ring.

I have decided I am going to give my daughter my original engagement ring. She is 22 now so I believe she would take care of it. She could wear it on her right hand.

I have had a moissanite ring since it first began being marketed to consumers. Only about 5 jewelers in the country were selling it and one of them happened to be in the area in which we lived at the time. Having had mine for years I can truly say that there has been no discoloration at all and I still love it just as much as when I first bought it. I had it set surrounded by diamonds and you cannot tell the difference with the naked eye. It's pretty easy to get now, even JC Penney is selling it. And the price has gone way up. You should do what you are comfortable with. I have both diamonds and the one moissanite and even some diamonique (which imho doesn't look all that real) and I enjoy them all.

I found a website called bellajewelrycompany.com that is run by Charles and Covard. It is pretty reasonable. Maybe I should just buy some small studs-like 20 points and see how they look this time next year.

ofcourse but do I have a spare $11,000 lying around?

Seriously, we all like the real thing but if this new gem works and looks good, why not?

I'd rather have an itty bitty speck of a real diamond than a big showy piece of "glass"..

I will add a funny story...I bought a CZ ring on a cruise a few years ago..very pretty, not gaudy. Just liked it and I think it was about $50. Decided to wear it on a cruise a year later. I was in port (St. Maarten) and nosing around the jewelery stores and one of the jewelers commented on my ring. Said it was gorgeous and he knows good taste anywhere etc...blah, blah

From a distance he didn't know fake from "real"!!!. Of course, it never got to the point of where he actually had it up close but I just laughed....hey, if it looks good, that;s OK too!!!!!!!!

Wow, what kind of ring are you looking for?? I have nothing that cost nearly that much but I have some nice diamonds.

Suze

Well that is if I bought like a 2 carat solitare top quality. but you know-I can get a 1 carat very good diamond for $3000-maybe I should just do that then buy a 2 carat moisanite.

I don't know-hubby would let me have what I want but I am the family accountant so I have to be realistic and decide if we should spend that much- ya know.

I have a very nice 75 point past present future ring. The middle diamond is 40 points and then the other 2 diamonds ae 17 and a half points each- the color is GH and the clarity SI 1-so it is very good-not great- but very good.

That was my 20th anniversary present. I was going to trade up to a 75 point center stone- and 2 25 point side stones-but I just don't want to give up that ring. I am sentimental about it I guess. So now I am thinking a new solitare to wear with it.

My original diamond engagement ring is 32 points, the clarity is good on it but the diamond is slightly yellow-like about a "N" in color-I still have it and would NEVER trade it-but I plan to give that to my daughter.

Seriously, we all like the real thing but if this new gem works and looks good, why not?

I'd rather have an itty bitty speck of a real diamond than a big showy piece of "glass"..

I will add a funny story...I bought a CZ ring on a cruise a few years ago..very pretty, not gaudy. Just liked it and I think it was about $50. Decided to wear it on a cruise a year later. I was in port (St. Maarten) and nosing around the jewelery stores and one of the jewelers commented on my ring. Said it was gorgeous and he knows good taste anywhere etc...blah, blah

From a distance he didn't know fake from "real"!!!. Of course, it never got to the point of where he actually had it up close but I just laughed....hey, if it looks good, that;s OK too!!!!!!!!

You are right. I guess I "want" too much. I have anice past present future ring.

but then maybe I should just buy a nice colored stone solitare that I could wear with it some times-I guess that would make more sense.

We are doing that nice cruise next year also. I sure don't want to be "greedy".

if it were me, i would save my $$$ and buy the 1 carat real diamond.. if sometime in the future you wanted to upgrade to an even larger stone, a real diamond will always hold or increase its value.. there is no known future of the artificial diamonds..

if it were me, i would save my $$$ and buy the 1 carat real diamond.. if sometime in the future you wanted to upgrade to an even larger stone, a real diamond will always hold or increase its value.. there is no known future of the artificial diamonds..

That is what I meant by moissanite not having a "true" value

My diamonds have always appreciated over time. Since DeBeers remains in control, I do not see that changing.

I am one of those who would rather have a smaller, genuine stone than a larger, artificial one.

That is what I meant by moissanite not having a "true" value

My diamonds have always appreciated over time. Since DeBeers remains in control, I do not see that changing.

I am one of those who would rather have a smaller, genuine stone than a larger, artificial one.

I agree 100% and I have this thought for other things as well; handbags etc...

I buy jewelry becasuse I like it, not for an investment. I have one piece of Moissanite, a ring I bought several years ago and it is still just as clear and sparkly as the first day I got it. If someone asks I do tell them it is not a diamond. I really don't care if it is or not as long as I like it that is all that counts.

So if you like the ring then buy it. You are the one that has to be happy with it.

Annieeee

http://www.shopnbc.com/depts/prodlisting.aspx?taxid=1&pt=1&propid=596&jtd=4&cm_re=EC1-_-browseall-_-Moissanite_061706

I have seen them on shop nbc. They seem fairly expensive. I have a jeweler that says they are excellent fakes. He has a device to check to make sure that a diamond is not a moissanite. (I brought in a ring to reset and that's how I heard of moissanite.)

I guess that's how good they are.

I have never actually seen one -- just on tv. I, also, prefer the real thing.

--Judy

Kim

I want a large genuine stone!!!!!:D I'm very easy to please!

Esther

By the way, this is pretty gross, but I saw on 20/20 or Dateline that you can have a genuine stone (diamond, albeit butterscotch in color) made from your loved one's ashes. No lie. There are a lot of funeral parlors that do this.:eek: You can wear your "whomever" around your neck or finger. Since I've already got Peter wrapped around my little finger, this is of no importance to me.

Esther

Kim

I want a large genuine stone!!!!!:D I'm very easy to please!

Esther

By the way, this is pretty gross, but I saw on 20/20 or Dateline that you can have a genuine stone (diamond, albeit butterscotch in color) made from your loved one's ashes. No lie. There are a lot of funeral parlors that do this.:eek: You can wear your "whomever" around your neck or finger. Since I've already got Peter wrapped around my little finger, this is of no importance to me.

Esther

YUk Esther ! Hubby has already said I should cremate him it I out live him but he wants me to dump him in the ocean so he will be "cruising" into eternity- so I could not make him into a diamond I guess. I could buy a brown diamond though while he is still living. Champagne diamonds are less the mosianite!

You know you guys have some good points. No one would believe I could afford a 2 carat diamond anyway-so why buy that moisanite. If I want a large stone I guess I should just buy a nice natural non diamond stone. I have a 3 carat London blue topaz that I wear on my right hand that I love. but I could get a ruby or an emerald or an aquamarine in good quality and wear it with my past present future ring.

caviergal I just think one day someone is going to come across a diamond mine and decide they'll undercut Debeers and still make plenty without allowing Debeers to buy them out-when that happens diamonds will be worth very little. Ofcourse you know-we spend big bucks on lots of things that do not keep their value don't we-so who really cares? As others said we should not buy diamonds as an investment anyway.

Quite a while back I saw a video on Shop At Home (shopping) network. In it they explained the history of moissanite. It was originally a "naturally" mined stone. That it was formed centuries ago by an asteroid that struck the earth & melted into this substance. The quanitities have been depleted; & one would guess that those mined stones would (or would not) have withstood the test of time. Obviously, someone felt strongly enough about it's durability & beauty to start creating the stones under laboratory conditions. It supposedly has the same chemical properties as the genuine mined stones; & therefore justifies the high price. They are to be considered much more valuable than a good quality CZ.

Esther

As I read this thread earlier, I was wondering if someone might bring this up. I saw something about it in a magazine and looked at the web site. At first, I also thought YUCK!! But some of the stories are pretty heartwarming. It's no worse than people keeping a jar of ashes on their mantle, is it?

http://www.lifegem.com/

I have 3 moissanite rings, and just love them! I like the look of a big stone, and my wedding set has a very unusual wide band (engagement ring) with a smaller wedding band that's shaped to fit under the wide band. When we first got married 13 years ago, money was VERY tight, so I had that band set with a 2 carat CZ. It held up for a few years, then I got another one, which held up for a few years, then I finally decided to spring for moissanite. I got a 2 carat round stone for $1000 from a local jeweler. I love it because it doesn't have the "too perfect" look of a CZ, and it's certainly held up well. Shortly after, I bought a 3.5 carat total weight 3 stone ring in a lucern setting from the same jeweler. That cost me $1800. I just got the same style ring in 2 carat total weight from Shop at Home TV's liquidation. That ring was about $450.00, I felt it was a good deal, and the stones do look nice. I get many compliments on my wedding set, and I think the $1000 I spent for the stone was well worth it. I'm of the mindset that, if someone gave me $15,000 and told me I could either buy a real 2 ct. diamond, or put it on the principal of my mortgage, I'd put it on the mortgage!

As I read this thread earlier, I was wondering if someone might bring this up. I saw something about it in a magazine and looked at the web site. At first, I also thought YUCK!! But some of the stories are pretty heartwarming. It's no worse than people keeping a jar of ashes on their mantle, is it?

http://www.lifegem.com/

I would not do that either. as I said-hubby will go into the ocean. If I precede him, he will put my ashes beside our baby daughter's grave. I have a friend who is 60 and her husband was much older then her and that is what she has kept his ashes. Her hubby is on a shelf in the closet, he has been dead around 5 years. The funny part is her grandson asked her a couple of years ago (he was around 7 at the time) "Grandma when you get tired of keeping Grandpa will you let me have him?"

I would not do that either. as I said-hubby will go into the ocean. If I precede him, he will put my ashes beside our baby daughter's grave. I have a friend who is 60 and her husband was much older then her and that is what she has kept his ashes. Her hubby is on a shelf in the closet, he has been dead around 5 years. The funny part is her grandson asked her a couple of years ago (he was around 7 at the time) "Grandma when you get tired of keeping Grandpa will you let me have him?"

I love kids! The things they come out with are funny!!! No, I'm not one for keeping ashes around. As I get older my memory needs jogging and I'd probabably think it was dust and vacuum!!! :eek:

Archived