moisianite

momofmeg

I have 3 moissanite rings, and just love them! I like the look of a big stone, and my wedding set has a very unusual wide band (engagement ring) with a smaller wedding band that's shaped to fit under the wide band. When we first got married 13 years ago, money was VERY tight, so I had that band set with a 2 carat CZ. It held up for a few years, then I got another one, which held up for a few years, then I finally decided to spring for moissanite. I got a 2 carat round stone for $1000 from a local jeweler. I love it because it doesn't have the "too perfect" look of a CZ, and it's certainly held up well. Shortly after, I bought a 3.5 carat total weight 3 stone ring in a lucern setting from the same jeweler. That cost me $1800. I just got the same style ring in 2 carat total weight from Shop at Home TV's liquidation. That ring was about $450.00, I felt it was a good deal, and the stones do look nice. I get many compliments on my wedding set, and I think the $1000 I spent for the stone was well worth it. I'm of the mindset that, if someone gave me $15,000 and told me I could either buy a real 2 ct. diamond, or put it on the principal of my mortgage, I'd put it on the mortgage!

Well I liked the idea as the other post said of it coming from a meteorite-the originial ofcourse-not the lab! Too bad earth doesn't get another meteorite of the stuff NOT lab grown!

I did seriously think of getting some-as you said-the CZs are just TOO white and the clarity is TOO good and sometimes they also become cloudy as they age.

I almost bought that 75 point teal marquite diamond they had marked down to $450 on that Shop At Homee sale . I just figured if I did that I could not justify wanting another new solitare for my 25th.

At that website bellajewelrycompany.com-you can get the ear ring studs fairly reasonable. 30 points is $99. I may just order a pair of them and see how they wear.

I am with you about spending $10,000 or $15,000 for a diamond. I would rather though take a couple of super nice cruises with the money then pay down my mortgage!

I may possibly ask hubby to buy me the one carat solitare. I still have a year to decide. He wants to buy me me a 1 carat marquise. I am just not sure if I want him to spend $3000-I sort of would rather we spend another week in Europe pre-cruise before our anniversary cruise next year.

I do have a friend who has a two carat diamond-but it came from her aunt. Her aunt was pretty well off and had only one son and the aunt disliked her daughter -inlaw-who she figured would get all her jewelry. So a few years before she died-(she was well into her eighties at the time) she gave away her best stuff to her nieces and my friend got her 2 carat diamond solitare ring. ( the favorite niece!) My friend has a very nice marquise solitare diamond engagement ring that is a half carat that came from her hubby ofcourse-she sized that down and wears it on her pinkie.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would let you gals know what I ended up getting for my upcoming 25th. Tony wanted me to have a marquise and I wanted to upgrade my past-present future ring to at least a 1 carat total weight. I did not wear my engagement ring anymore so I saw no need for another diamond ring. Well he bought me a marquise, 75 points, but it is an irriagated blue diamond so much less expensive then a white diamond. He then took my past-present future ring to the jeweler and had the jeweler switch out the 37 point diamond (was not 40 points after all-the jeweler said) for a 66 point 2 thirds carat diamond.

So we are both happy.

I did get some mossianite also, after all-butnot a ring. I had my engagement ring diamond reset into a pendant-since that was a good quality diamond, even though it was not as white as I wished it is VS quality. My quarter carat total diamond earrings looked dirty and small with the pendant so I bought a pair of half carat moissanite earrings and they are beautiful and look wonderful with the pendant.

Now I SHOULD be satisfied- but if ever I decide I must have a larger solitare- I will go for the moissanite as it is beautiful and looks real and not like cubic zirconiz at all.

Oh, and here is the sweetist thing. My MIL had a half carat dinner ring that my FIL bought her for Chritstmas in 01. He died 3 days after Christmas from a stroke. She decided to give me that ring for our 25th anniversary. Now I really do not want the ring, but ofcourse I am taking it, it was so sweet of her, and that ring meant alot to her as that was her last gift from her husband. That is what makes the ring special to me and that she thought enough of me to give it to me! Next cruise I will wear it formal nights!

Just thought I would let you gals know what I ended up getting for my upcoming 25th. Tony wanted me to have a marquise and I wanted to upgrade my past-present future ring to at least a 1 carat total weight. I did not wear my engagement ring anymore so I saw no need for another diamond ring. Well he bought me a marquise, 75 points, but it is an irriagated blue diamond so much less expensive then a white diamond. He then took my past-present future ring to the jeweler and had the jeweler switch out the 37 point diamond (was not 40 points after all-the jeweler said) for a 66 point 2 thirds carat diamond.

So we are both happy.

I did get some mossianite also, after all-butnot a ring. I had my engagement ring diamond reset into a pendant-since that was a good quality diamond, even though it was not as white as I wished it is VS quality. My quarter carat total diamond earrings looked dirty and small with the pendant so I bought a pair of half carat moissanite earrings and they are beautiful and look wonderful with the pendant.

Now I SHOULD be satisfied- but if ever I decide I must have a larger solitare- I will go for the moissanite as it is beautiful and looks real and not like cubic zirconiz at all.

Oh, and here is the sweetist thing. My MIL had a half carat dinner ring that my FIL bought her for Chritstmas in 01. He died 3 days after Christmas from a stroke. She decided to give me that ring for our 25th anniversary. Now I really do not want the ring, but ofcourse I am taking it, it was so sweet of her, and that ring meant alot to her as that was her last gift from her husband. That is what makes the ring special to me and that she thought enough of me to give it to me! Next cruise I will wear it formal nights!

Thanks for the update!

It was a lovely gesture of your MIL to give you her ring.

I am the queen of remodeling jewelry. Depending on the design of the cocktail ring, perhaps you could have it made into a stick pin or another pendant.

Good thinking about putting your diamond on a chain. We did that with my original engagement ring (heart shaped) my mom's original diamond and my grandmother's -- both round. It's a nice thing to wear and it means a lot to me to have three generations of diamonds on my neck. they hang vertically from a white gold chain. It's nice when I explain the story of the necklace to people.

I also took a couple of my grandmother's rings and made them into one three-stone platinum setting. It's nice, too. I was very close to my grandmother and know she would have approved.

We're going on a cruise in November. I might look at some moissonite if I see some.

Happy 25th! We're going on our cruise the day after our 27th.

--Judy

Thanks for the update!

It was a lovely gesture of your MIL to give you her ring.

I am the queen of remodeling jewelry. Depending on the design of the cocktail ring, perhaps you could have it made into a stick pin or another pendant.

Good thinking about putting your diamond on a chain. We did that with my original engagement ring (heart shaped) my mom's original diamond and my grandmother's -- both round. It's a nice thing to wear and it means a lot to me to have three generations of diamonds on my neck. they hang vertically from a white gold chain. It's nice when I explain the story of the necklace to people.

I also took a couple of my grandmother's rings and made them into one three-stone platinum setting. It's nice, too. I was very close to my grandmother and know she would have approved.

We're going on a cruise in November. I might look at some moissonite if I see some.

Happy 25th! We're going on our cruise the day after our 27th.

--Judy

You know Judy, I thought of taking some of the center diamonds out of it and having my blue diamond put there. The ring is sort've kyte shaped or a stretched out marquise and the center stones are round and then the outer edge is bagette.

I believe my jeweler could do it and then I would size it up to a 9 for my pointer or middle finger. Another thing about the ring is my fingers are short and stubby and so it looks too "big" on my right hand ring finger.

Even though the ring does not have a large diamond weight, it is also platinum that the stones are set in, and not just plated, which is obvious by the ring's age, it is still so white and shiney-although the band is yellow gold-so it appears to be a much larger diamond weight.

But then I think, I could ruin it-but you know-your idea of making it into a brooch is great!

I have a 10 k gold brooch which I bought off e-bay and I am not so crazy about it-I believe it was a company symbol (kind of strange looking- looks almost like a music note-but not quite) that someone had received at retirement or thirty years service. Something like that. The person I bought it from bought it from an estate sale, she did not pay much for it and felt the gold was worth it what she paid and then like me, just felt it was ugly and so she sold it on Ebay.

So maybe I was not so foolish buying that brooch-as I am guessing that would be the most expensive part-is to put the pin part on to the back of the ring to turn it into a brooch. Thanks for the idea!

The other thing I thought of is to just buy a really nice gemstone-like Santa Anna Aquamarine - set in a solitare and wear that with my past-present future ring.

I would agree with this, however, if it's a ring that you're going to wear everyday - the way you wear an engagement ring- make sure it's very strong stone. You don't want it chipping!

I have no idea what a past,present and future ring is - have never heard of it. But I would agree with the thought of buying a one carat in the highest quality you can afford and setting it in a beautiful setting. Have you looked at the cushion cut diamonds? They're kind of square, but with rounded edges.

Here is a photo of the "Legacy" style engagement ring by Tiffany with the cushion cut diamond. I have two girlfriends that recently got this style, one got it with a 2.5 carat center stone and the other got it with a 1 carat center stone. It looks very elegant in both sizes.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?subCategoryid=1004

I'm not resetting my engagement ring but I liked the Legacy style so much that I thought about having it made with a different stone, like an aquamarine or something, at some point. (when we're in jewelry buying mode again. LOL!)

this is my style ring:http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?sku=18965755

I've seen this style with a single emerald cut diamond center stone and then two different side stones, like sapphire which is very elegant.

I have decided I am going to give my daughter my original engagement ring. She is 22 now so I believe she would take care of it. She could wear it on her right hand.

That's lovely. I'm sure she'll treasure it forever.

......I have no idea what a past,present and future ring is - have never heard of it..... QUOTE]

I interpreted this as the "yesterday, today & tomorrow" setting where 2 (usually round) stones flank a larger stone on each side. Although I could be wrong.

......I have no idea what a past,present and future ring is - have never heard of it..... QUOTE]

I interpreted this as the "yesterday, today & tomorrow" setting where 2 (usually round) stones flank a larger stone on each side. Although I could be wrong.

Well that would describe my setting, though mine are emerald cut, not round.

I have no idea what a past,present and future ring is - have never heard of it.

Nor have I. But now I'll have to google it! :)

I have only recently acquired a liking for diamonds. I never thought they were terribly special, and other than the small diamond ring my ex gave me (tho I have to give him credit - he bought a very good quality one and after 9 years I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it :rolleyes: ) I never owned any, until about 4 years ago. I found a channel set ring at Christian Bernard that I fell in love with - nothing huge, but a nice everyday ring in 18kt yellow gold. Then 2 Easters ago I was in NYC, and with my sister and BIL went to the jewelry district. Holy moly! I could not believe all the diamonds. How on earth can they be so costly when there are SO many?? I mean rows upon rows upon rows, store after store...DeBeers really does have it sewn up....something so very wrong with that. But I sure had fun looking...we only went in a few stores that my BIL has done business with. He has a good eye for diamonds himself, so I felt more comfortable having him with me. I wasn't sure if I would find anything because I am soooo picky, but I did. I prefer low flat settings that don't pick at clothes or get "bumped" easily.

When my eyes found this ring - baguettes in a channel bar setting - I knew that was it. Absolutely gorgeous ring...and I bought it. The same jeweler showed me some earings that were exquisite...not the standard studs, but a small hoop with the finest quality diamonds. Earrings that I would have no problem wearing every day, and that is what I wanted. I hated to spend so much money unless I could get a LOT of wear out them. I wear the earrings most every day...and the ring not so often, but at least once a week. I spent far more than I had expected to, but I don't regret a cent of it. Also the next time I have a chance to visit the jewelry district, I know what shop I'll be visiting. ;)

Happysinglemom,

Glad you got some gorgeous stuff! Personally, I don't like the Diamond District - too much hustle. I have a diamond dealer in Rockefeller Center, upstairs in a quiet office. Third generation is running the now 50 year old business. Highest quality, great prices. But if you have a dealer you like, that's great.

But whenever you buy diamonds, especially if you have the advantage of buying them in NYC, go right to the GIA - gemological certification - and get them certified to make sure they're the quality the jeweler says they are. It's right on 47th Street. And if it's an expensive piece, have an appraisal done.

Yep, princess cut stones, orignally it was 75 points total weight with a 37 point middle stone-but now I have a 66 point middle stone so I guess now it is slightly over a carat.

Well that would describe my setting, though mine are emerald cut, not round.

Jane, Meg did not want my engagement ring, she felt she would look silly wearing it which is why I made it into a pendant, I am sure though eventually she will get that.

I still have the setting of my engagement ring and will eventually put something in it. I am thinking about a tanzanite, a small one in an emerald cut, as I have no emerald cut stones, maybe about 20-25 points and then have my ring sized down to my pinky finger-either that or a nice aquamarine.

Yes I know both of those stones are soft but I would not wear them all the time, just like I won't wear the dinner ring my MIL gave me all the time, only on special occasions.

Nor have I. But now I'll have to google it! :)

I have only recently acquired a liking for diamonds. I never thought they were terribly special, and other than the small diamond ring my ex gave me (tho I have to give him credit - he bought a very good quality one and after 9 years I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it :rolleyes: ) I never owned any, until about 4 years ago. I found a channel set ring at Christian Bernard that I fell in love with - nothing huge, but a nice everyday ring in 18kt yellow gold. Then 2 Easters ago I was in NYC, and with my sister and BIL went to the jewelry district. Holy moly! I could not believe all the diamonds. How on earth can they be so costly when there are SO many?? I mean rows upon rows upon rows, store after store...DeBeers really does have it sewn up....something so very wrong with that. But I sure had fun looking...we only went in a few stores that my BIL has done business with. He has a good eye for diamonds himself, so I felt more comfortable having him with me. I wasn't sure if I would find anything because I am soooo picky, but I did. I prefer low flat settings that don't pick at clothes or get "bumped" easily.

When my eyes found this ring - baguettes in a channel bar setting - I knew that was it. Absolutely gorgeous ring...and I bought it. The same jeweler showed me some earings that were exquisite...not the standard studs, but a small hoop with the finest quality diamonds. Earrings that I would have no problem wearing every day, and that is what I wanted. I hated to spend so much money unless I could get a LOT of wear out them. I wear the earrings most every day...and the ring not so often, but at least once a week. I spent far more than I had expected to, but I don't regret a cent of it. Also the next time I have a chance to visit the jewelry district, I know what shop I'll be visiting. ;)

I have a channel set bagette ring, one fourth carat (so pretty but not expensive) that I have had for years, I wear it with my past present future ring as guard ring. It looks pretty with it and if I was to lose one of the rings I would prefer that one!

I also have bagette earrings and a pendant, all similiar small carat weights. They are pretty, and being baggettes, the carat weight looks larger. But now I usually wear my solitare pendant and the moissanite earrings, they are just sitting in my jewelry box. I guess I should still wear them some.

I'm not a big diamond person and don't wear my good jewelry often but one of my dearest girlfriends has the biggest ring I've ever seen.

The center is a 7 carat diamond with a 2 carat diamond triangles on each side and those are surrounded by smaller diamonds. It was a 20th anniversary gift from her husband.

I'm not a big diamond person and don't wear my good jewelry often but one of my dearest girlfriends has the biggest ring I've ever seen.

The center is a 7 carat diamond with a 2 carat diamond triangles on each side and those are surrounded by smaller diamonds. It was a 20th anniversary gift from her husband.

I have a friend that has a 2 carat round solitare that she wears with a wrap ring of 2 trillants, one goes on either side of the diamond solitare with -the wrap ring is about a half carat total, each trillant, a quarter carat. Her solitare actually came from her aunt. Auntie only had one son and 2 grandsons who were unmarried and she HATED her daughterinlaw-so when she knew she was terminal (she was WELL into her eighties at this time) she gave her diamond to my friend, her favorite niece.

Actually my favorite ring is my london blue topaz ring. Not an expensive stone, but beautiful. Which is why my daughter told my hubby to get me the irrigated blue diamond ring. I do love it, but because of the color, nothing to do with it being a diamond, and most people would have no idea tha tit is a diamond-which is fine with me.

So even though I like the fact that my past-present-future ring got upgraded, I guess I do like the other ring best, since they picked it out.

I also have a very nice sapphire ring which is 2 carats and has about 20 points of baggette diamonds surrounding it. So I guess I just love blue stones. My birthstone is ruby, but ruby is just okay to me, even though I know good rubies can be very expensive, even more then diamonds in large carat weights, I just don't care that much for rubies.

You know, I could go for a 7 carat ring in a blue stone though- except for, my fingers are so short and stubby, it wouldn't look good on me I am afraid!

Happysinglemom,

Glad you got some gorgeous stuff! Personally, I don't like the Diamond District - too much hustle. I have a diamond dealer in Rockefeller Center, upstairs in a quiet office. Third generation is running the now 50 year old business. Highest quality, great prices. But if you have a dealer you like, that's great.

But whenever you buy diamonds, especially if you have the advantage of buying them in NYC, go right to the GIA - gemological certification - and get them certified to make sure they're the quality the jeweler says they are. It's right on 47th Street. And if it's an expensive piece, have an appraisal done.

Jane,110 I agree that it is a bustling place! Happily, I like bustling. :) Also I think that if you already know your tastes, then a single dealer would work well. For me, not knowing what I was looking for, it makes more sense to put my eyes on as many things as I could in a short amount of time. Now that I have a little better idea of what I like, I can probably skip through most of the bling in the cases. :)

My pieces did come with appraisals (I picked them up the next day) though honestly I really didn't scrutinize them. :o

Jane, Meg did not want my engagement ring, she felt she would look silly wearing it which is why I made it into a pendant, I am sure though eventually she will get that.

I still have the setting of my engagement ring and will eventually put something in it. I am thinking about a tanzanite, a small one in an emerald cut, as I have no emerald cut stones, maybe about 20-25 points and then have my ring sized down to my pinky finger-either that or a nice aquamarine.

Yes I know both of those stones are soft but I would not wear them all the time, just like I won't wear the dinner ring my MIL gave me all the time, only on special occasions.

I think Meg's right, making the stone into a pendant is a better choice.

Your ring idea's sound very pretty!

Jane,110 I agree that it is a bustling place! Happily, I like bustling. :) Also I think that if you already know your tastes, then a single dealer would work well. For me, not knowing what I was looking for, it makes more sense to put my eyes on as many things as I could in a short amount of time. Now that I have a little better idea of what I like, I can probably skip through most of the bling in the cases. :)

Sounds like you were looking at jewelry on 47th street, no? These people I was talking about only sell diamonds. Then you bring them to a jeweler to make up what you want.

My pieces did come with appraisals (I picked them up the next day) though honestly I really didn't scrutinize them. :o

You really must scrutinize. And even if you have an appraisal, you have to make sure the appraisal is for the actual stone you have.

Hmmm. a decent 7 carat VVS2 or a VS1 G color would run about $200,000. An okay, decent quality VS2 or G or H color. would run about $100,000.

Personally too big for my tastes, and I'd be afraid to wear it, but I'm sure your friend is thrilled! My mother had a 5.3 carat diamond that I encouraged her to sell last year. I felt like she was a potential victim wearing it. (being an older woman & not always as aware of her surroundings as she should be)

I think Meg's right, making the stone into a pendant is a better choice.

Your ring idea's sound very pretty!

Well Jane, she wants a man to give her a ring, not Mom- but she wouldn't mind a pendant! Actually though she is eyeing that blue diamond! She says when I am tired of THAT she could have it made into a pendant for herself. LOL!

Hmmm. a decent 7 carat VVS2 or a VS1 G color would run about $200,000. An okay, decent quality VS2 or G or H color. would run about $100,000.

Personally too big for my tastes, and I'd be afraid to wear it, but I'm sure your friend is thrilled! My mother had a 5.3 carat diamond that I encouraged her to sell last year. I felt like she was a potential victim wearing it. (being an older woman & not always as aware of her surroundings as she should be)

I sort've agree-think of all the trips to Europe that would pay for huh?

One thing I learned, is color, or lack of color makes a diamond's price go up more then clarity. Why any one would want a F I1 diamond is beyond me. Give me a J vs2 or J si1 over that. I want shine and clarity over bad, opaque looking white diamonds. But the F i1 is about double the J vs2 stone of the same size.

She doesn't ever take it off and she is one of those people who can get away with wearing it at the gym or on the boat or at a formal dinner. On me I would look like a big fake goob but on her it is a natural.

She doesn't ever take it off and she is one of those people who can get away with wearing it at the gym or on the boat or at a formal dinner. On me I would look like a big fake goob but on her it is a natural.

If you wear a 7 carat to the gym, you'll only have to pick up one of the free-weights! :D

Archived