Queens Grill vs Princess Grill on QM2

cruisingking

I am trying to decide between booking a Queens Grill or Princess Grill on the Queen Mary 7 night Caribbean cruise from Ft Lauderdale.

differences? is it worth the queens grill price which is approx 2000 more for the cabin?

thx all!

I had Queens Grill suite #9025 on a WB crossing in October 05. I can tell you that it is a very, very nice way to travel. We had a wonderful butler who was very personable and attentive to detail. We had breakfast in our stateroom every morning (except the last) and on the second day, he brought us grits because he heard me mention how much I missed them :p. We were not far from the concierge lounge either which was very nice.

The Queen's Grill is a wonderful place. I must say that I felt totally spoiled at every meal from the table assistance to the somallier (who was the chief on the boat, btw) They were all very knowledgeable about the menu and always served each meal with pride and a smile.

As far as the differences between the two grills - from what I can tell and I will probably be able to tell more when we get back next week, the differences are: size of the stateroom, a butler, where you eat (but from what I was told the food is cooked in the same kitchen) and access to the Sun Deck on the 11th (I think) deck. That is for QG only. We will be in the Princess Grill for our upcoming voyage - the Sampler. So I will know for sure when I get back and will be able to give you my opinion of the differences.

Either way, you will have a fantastic trip! I love all the Queens - absolutely can't wait to sail aboard the QV - Grill cruising on that Queen is going to be quite an experience.

I had Queens Grill suite #9025 on a WB crossing in October 05. I can tell you that it is a very, very nice way to travel. We had a wonderful butler who was very personable and attentive to detail. We had breakfast in our stateroom every morning (except the last) and on the second day, he brought us grits because he heard me mention how much I missed them :p.

OMG! It might be worth the extra 2K for the grits!

Were they good grits? Cooked enough and with the salt added while cooking? Any Red-Eye Gravy or country ham? I might pay the 24K for the QG for whichever voyage it was- Just for that meal (and maybe, just maybe, some sausage-gravy and biscuits!)

Karie,

Who has grits running in her Southern veins! (Call me a Southern transplant to the north, but don't EVER call me a Yankee! <G>)

My wife and I enjoyed a Queens Grill cabin (9043) for a Caribbean cruise in June, 2004, and a Princess Grill cabin (10051) for back-to-back crossings in May-June, 2006. 9043 is one third wider than 10051, it has a separate dressing table opposite the walk in-closet, and it has a full size jacuzzi tub (10051 has a 3/4 size regular tub).

The butler who served us in 9043 brought us canapes every evening at 6PM. He offered to help us with any special requests, but (dull us) we didn't have any.

We didn't notice any appreciable difference in the quality of the food or of the service between the Grills. But I suspect that the Queens Grill will be more tolerant of "off menu" requests.

QG cabins now have exclusive use of the aft Deck 11 area (I think it was Deck 9 in '04); in any case, we never used it in '04, but we did look down upon it in '06 after visiting our cat in the kennels on Deck 12).

In '04 the Queens Grills lounge was for Queens Grills folks only; in '06 is was available to Princess Grill folks also, which we very much enjoyed.

Are the differences worth $2K? Obviously, we didn't think so but it's your choice. Either way, you will have a great time.

Paul

Who has grits running in her Southern veins!

What is it about Yanks (<G>) and grits? I tried it last Christmas in the Princess Grill on QE2 - it's horrible! I left most of it. Why does everyone from the States think that it's so special?

I am trying to decide between booking a Queens Grill or Princess Grill on the Queen Mary 7 night Caribbean cruise from Ft Lauderdale.

differences? is it worth the queens grill price which is approx 2000 more for the cabin?

thx all!

we just recieved and booked 7 day caribbean cruise December 9,2006 from fort lauderdale $1,999. for p-3 and $2,999 for Q-7 (great prices) we booked the Q-7 with a gty(too good to be true.) same price is available on the December 16 cruise as well!!! godd luck!! we sailed in the p cat twice before and loved it and thought we could never afford the Q cat. The QM2s a magnificent ship no matter which cabin your in. good luck and bonvoyage

What is it about Yanks (<G>) and grits? I tried it last Christmas in the Princess Grill on QE2 - it's horrible! I left most of it. Why does everyone from the States think that it's so special?

thats because the chef does not know how to cook southern grits!!!

We recently completed a transatlantic in QG and last year, did a Caribbean in PG. The QG cabin is much bigger, and I thought the entire dining experience (restaurant and room service) in Queens Grill is extraordinary.

I thought the pre-dinner canapes in QG were mediocre. The butlers enjoy arranging a pre-dinner party, though. We were unhappy with our butler, however (Ibrahim), and if you end up with him, I would see about getting a change immediately. My wife's sister and mother had an extraordinary butler (Sheena).

The PG experience was great too, and the cabin is nice and big, certainly spacious for two people. I have to say, though, that the QG voyage was really dreamlike--probably more due to the fact that it was a transatlantic than from any big difference to PG. Both the QG and PG experiences are entirely different than the Britannia experience, which we have also done. There's never any waiting on line in QG and PG, never the mass-market feeling. In QG and in PG, the ship feels much more intimate, more like the Caronia felt.

My wife's sister and mother had an extraordinary butler (Sheena).

We have just returned from Med cruise travelling in Q3 Suite. We started the cruise with Maria as our Butler. Every time that we asked for her assistance she told us that she was too busy.

After compaining to the concierge, we talked to the assistant housekeeper who offered to change our butler. We were assigned Sheena and could not believe the difference. She could not have been more friendly or do more for us.

I can not believe that cunard allows such a difference in the level of service by its Butlers. Maybe they need more training?

Grits- When a miller grinds corn, the "grist" (unsifted products) are sent to a "shaker box" and passed though a three-stage screen. The finest pieces (corn flour) pass through the smallest holes, the corn meal passes through the second portion of screen and the largest pieces (GRITS) are sifted in the third stage.

Directions for prep:

Boil the 1 cup of grits in 3 cups of water, skimming off the excess chaff, for 40 minutes or so, until the water is all but gone and the grits are beginning to thicken. Add a pat of butter while the grits are still steaming. Dish into small bowls or directly to plate - Toss the whole stinkin' mess away and go out for a real breakfast.

Enjoy!:rolleyes:

OMG! It might be worth the extra 2K for the grits!

Were they good grits? Cooked enough and with the salt added while cooking? Any Red-Eye Gravy or country ham? I might pay the 24K for the QG for whichever voyage it was- Just for that meal (and maybe, just maybe, some sausage-gravy and biscuits!)

Karie,

Who has grits running in her Southern veins! (Call me a Southern transplant to the north, but don't EVER call me a Yankee! <G>)

Oh they were good grits, alright. I had them 3 times and they were delicious. They actually offered shrimp and grits on the last night (I was 'steaked' out by then) and I was in heaven! No gravy or ham but the shrimp made up for that.

Karie - we've got to meet - two southern, Cunard lovin' transplants living ~20 minutes from each other in Yankeeland? It has to be destiny :D

To Samantha's Dad--

You were so wise to have your butler changed. Ours was such an unpleasant man . . . my wife is still annoyed with me that I left him a tip at the end--and now I'm annoyed with myself that I did. I have a feeling his assistant (Myra, who was very nice) did all the real work.

What exactly is/are Grits? I can then ask for them without showing my ignorance!
:cool: :cool:

Not exactly the correct definition of Grits but this is the one I have always liked.

Girls

Raised

In

The

South

After compaining to the concierge, we talked to the assistant housekeeper who offered to change our butler. We were assigned Sheena and could not believe the difference. She could not have been more friendly or do more for us.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be assigned Sheena as our butler in 9043 in May. She is indeed exceptionally good at her job, striking a wonderful balance between friendliness and efficiency. We recommend you ask for her if you have any problems. We might add that the wonderful balance I refer to was also present in the QG dining room where Dennes is a superb waiter. Both he and Sheena are a credit to Cunard and their heritage, in our opinion, and together made for a memorable voyage.

let me assure you, not everyone does! I'm from Texas (which, I know in the UK you would call me a Yank, but in the States, Texans will quickly remind you , nicely or perhaps not, that we are not Yankees :p as we don't hail from the North). Grits are pretty popular in Texas, but I think they taste like crap. Just my humble opinion.

Food is interesting; I have been to England three times (love it!!! would do anything to get a work visa there and spend more than just a few months!) and I love the different cuisines, but I've had some nasty dishes.

Bangers and mash, anyone:p

Bangers and mash, anyone:p

YES PLEASE:) At this time of year you'd be more likely to have sausages with Jersey Royals, but mash would be OK either. What about Haggis? or Black Pudding?:)

YES PLEASE:) At this time of year you'd be more likely to have sausages with Jersey Royals, but mash would be OK either. What about Haggis? or Black Pudding?:)

spotted dick is also a favorite (popular in the british navy i hear)

No - Spotted Dick is common but not that popular with sailors:( I think that the Navy go for a good suet dumpling. If anyone is wondering what these dishes have to do with Cunard - I've had them all (with the exception of a spotted dick) on the QE2.

This thread has been hijacked from a discussion of QG vs. PG to one of food preferences.

Back to basics: I forgot to mention before that Deck 10ers (i.e. PG) now may use the services of the Concierge and the Concierge Lounge on Deck 9 (i.e. QG). Even if you don't have any excursions to book with the Concierge, that lounge is a great place to visit for a morning coffee. (I hope that this doesn't remind anyone of the great coffee that Gustav prepared for them on the MS Irrelevant in '67.)

Paul

No - Spotted Dick is common but not that popular with sailors:( I think that the Navy go for a good suet dumpling. If anyone is wondering what these dishes have to do with Cunard - I've had them all (with the exception of a spotted dick) on the QE2.

thanx for the info I was trying to put a little humor in this very quiet mix!! I hope i didnt hurt any ones feelings best regard to all jim!!

Archived