Should We Do It?

sail7seas

We're not really big on doing lots of ships tours. We've done the Canada/New England Itinerary three times and are booked for back-to-backs to do it again in August. (;) We love that cruise/Maasdam. :)

We are traveling with friends this time (which we rarely do), and they want to take the Acadia National Park and Rustic Lobster Bake Tour....approx 4 hours. We've never done this tour before.

Should we take it? Is it fun? Is it really crummy if it is a rainy day or is it at least tolerable?

I didn't want to ask on the Excursion Board.......I don't know the posters there as well as I know the HAL CC'ers. :)

S7S--

If you've never been - why not go? You'll be with friends and may even make new ones on the coach tour. Would love to hear about it from you as M&D are in New England this summer (3rd summer of their land-cruise) and planning a jaunt to Acadia later this summer as well.

(You might even see them up there: Look for a funny couple in yellow windbreakers, sunglasses and Holland America logo hats near a green 40' Dutchstar motorcoach towing a green Saturn sedan...)

http://woodalls.mytripjournal.com/LinStuParkerFullTiming

...just be sure to bring the umbrella from the suite if the skies look ominous.

;)

Did it and was not impressed. THe lobster bake was in a lodge as I recall, and was not very good. Certainly not as good or as cheap as you can get in town. The rest of the tour was alot of driving around in a bus in the park. We regretted taking the tour and not doing something on our own. We felt it was long and rather boring, but perhaps with friends it would be fun.

We did it 2 years ago and loved it. The park was gorgeous and lived up to its reputation we thought. The view from the top (including the Maasdam) of Cadillac Mountain was spectacular. Our lobster lunch was at a darling restaurant which we had to ourselves- there were 2 busloads of pax from the ship. We watched the lobster being cooked and then enjoyed it with mussels, corn on the cob, slaw (I think), plenty of melted butter, and 2 kinds of cobbler (I know for sure).

We have a friend here who is from Bar Harbor, knew the restaurant we went to, and agreed it is a great place for lobster bakes. :)

Do it for your friends, and you just might end up enjoying it for yourselves. :) Nothing ventured---nothing gained!

It's only four hours out of your life if you don't like it. :(

The first time we were in Bar Harbor we did Acadia National and loved the view from Cadillac Mountain. The second time we booked the tour with a lobster lunch at the Pond House. But our tour was cancelled about a month before we even get on the Maasdam. We so disappointed.

I say - go for it!!! If your friends have never been there, they will love the view and scenary.

Sail,

We did it last year when you were onboard. We had a morning or afternoon choice and took the 12:30 pm giving us time to go to Jack's for tourmaline like we always do.

Foolishly we stopped for great chowder before getting on the bus, and of course lunch was first. The mussels were plentiful, a little bland. The lobster was okay, good, not great. The surroundings were very nice. All the extras including the blueberry cake were good. I was chowder-stuffed so that might have made the difference.

The trip to Cadillac Mt. was very pretty with great views of your Maasdam from the summit. It was gray and overcast with a drizzle or two. We got back onboard at 6pm. There's an ordinary gift shop at the summit, a nice walk from the parking lot. The bus was not crowded so it was a nice drive. IMO, it's not a repeat trip but we liked it.

GN

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I asked.

These are very, very dear friends and certainly we'll do it just 'because they asked' :) but now I can actually look forward to enjoying it. We're so happy they've decided to sail on "My" Maasdam with us. We only cruised once in the past with them and that was Rotterdam's Inaugural Year New Years Eve.

If Peaches, GN, Brian, KK and Ruth all say Go For It!!! Then that is what we shall do.

Judith.....I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Maybe you just hit it on a bad day?

I'm glad you've decided to go. For the reasons everyone else has said. Views are spectacular, and the lobster bake was really neat for us. It was the first time DW had even ventured to try lobster. Now she's hooked! ;) We found it to be a most enjoyable morning, then leisurely strolled the shops of Bar Harbor.

The lobsters really aren't the same treat for us they are for others. We have Maine hardshell lobsters frequently. Actually, yesterday we had guests at our home and did a 'lobster fest'. I picked up three pounders and steamed them. They were amazing. So sweet!!!

But, I'm sure we'll enjoy the pretty scenery and being with our friends and the fact someone else cooked the lobster for me......Seems I'm always cooking them for everyone else.

Thanks for all the good comments encouraging us to go.

I'll be sure to give our impression when we get back. :)

I was on the Royal Princess in 1994 and my sister and 2 aunts just loved the lunch they had. My sister videotaped the thing for me, as I don't eat lobster, so my mother and I just walked around town. You should see the video she took. The butter from the corn on the cob was running down my aunt's chin and the lobster's were trying to get out of the hot water. Boy did they ever have fun. I am sure that you will also.

Sail,

If your tour starts at 11am you may go to the mountain first. We had 2 choices of times 9 and 1230. The morning group went after the bus tour and we went before. Well, if they pick you up at 11 you'd get to the lodge at 11:45 or so seeing that boarding is so slow. it's a toss up.

GN

ACADIA is beautiful......much moreso for those who don't live near the ocean. Don't know where you live but we were there in the fall months and it was spectacular..................there were bikes for rent and people cycling all over the park.

Booked the tours this morning.

I booked Acadia National Park and Lobster Lunch for Bar Harbor.

Also booked a 4 hour sail in Sydney and a quick little 1 1/4 hours Amphibious Harbor Hopper for Halifax. We like to walk around ourselves in Halifax so adding just that short tour will be plenty for that port.

Looking forward to them.

No..... They are only on for the first week. They will spend a few days in Montreal and then at a B and B in Vermont and make their way home to be away about 11 days total.

Perfect......We adore these friends so we get to spend a week with them on "MY" :) Maasdam and then we have the second week by ourselves. Seeing as we almost always cruise alone we think this a perfect arrangement.

... booked a 4 hour sail in Sydney

Is that the Bras d'Ors Lake sail? If so, I hope you have really nice weather.

When I took it the weather was spectacular! Sunny, light breeze, warm. Ahhhh. I could have spent twice the time sailing around taking it all in. Just gorgeous.

Archived