Can anyone recommend a beach in Bermuda with calm water?

Tristan

My family and I have been to Bermuda before, and we LOVE St. Catherine's beach. We went to Horseshoe Bay, and while it was lovely, we'd really prefer a beach with calmer water. (My sister has small children, and she isn't big on waves, herself.)

Can anyone recommend a beautiful beach in Bermuda that has calm waters?

Also, please leet me know how far it is from the dock in West End.

Thanks so much, and Happy Sailing!

Just got back on Sunday, and right next to St. Catherine's beach is Tobacco Bay, completely surrounded by huge lavea rocks, and no surf at all. Our six year old grandson loved it!

Also has areas when you can look for crabs in the rocks, and some tropical fish. If you get some bread, they will feed from your hands!

Of couse you know it's at the other end of the island from the Dockyard! But it has a snack bar, a place to rent chairs, you can rent snorkles, etc.

Great for young kids!

Not St. Catherines.... was the calmest.

Could walk out so far and it never got over your head.

Water was so clear, you could see tiny fish in schools swimming past and als osome larger ones.

E-mail me at BratDet@aol.com and I can send you a picture or two.

I took a gazillion last week of Bermuda.

Bernadette

For those staying in St. Georges...

Clearwater beach in is very nice, and not at all crowded. Soft sand and grassy area's and a gentle incline. It's located in St. David's just beyond the airport. The waves are gentle, and there is a small playground, restrooms and a snack bar as well.

Last August we took an express bus which went from St. Georges, directly to Clearwater Beach and Turtle Bay, which are side by side. The ride took about fifteen minutes. It was a nice change from St. Catherines, and a whole lot closer to St. Georges than Horseshoe Bay, which involves changing busses in Hamilton.

On the West side...Horsehoe Bay is a lovely beach which has two sides. There is a wavy side, but as you enter the beach area and pass the snack bar, if you turn right, the path leads to a lovely sheltered area which is very calm

There is also a small calm beach right at the Dockyark called Snorkle Park. It's walking distance from the cruise ships and perfect for families.

Shelly bay beach is very calm, no waves. You can walk out really far and it is perfectly calm and flat. It was also a very relaxing beach, not a lot of people. There was a small snack bar there also.

Shelly bay beach is very calm, no waves. You can walk out really far and it is perfectly calm and flat. It was also a very relaxing beach, not a lot of people. There was a small snack bar there also.

Shelley Bay is one of my favorites. It is easily accessible by bus or taxi from either Hamilton or St George.

The last time I was in Bermuda, which was about 20 years ago, my daughter got stung by a man of war jellyfish at the beach. I'm pretty sure we were in Horseshoe Bay. Is this still a problem at the Bermuda beaches? Are there some where this is more common than others?

I agree with Mmceahn. We just returned from Bermuda on Saturday and while there we went to threee beaches and Clearwater was our absolute favorite! We had never heard of it but it came hghly recommended by the Wine Auctioneer from our ship. It's located at the old US Naval base. When we got there the beach club had just opened and we were the first ones there. It sooned filled in with tourists and a few local camps. The water was perfectly calm (which is good for me as I don't like waves) and the sand is the softest I have ever felt. It felt like you just put your hand into a bag of flour. The sand isn't grainy at all and the water is just the right temp. I didn't want to leave and will definitely return there on our next trip to Bermuda.

Enjoy!

The last time I was in Bermuda, which was about 20 years ago, my daughter got stung by a man of war jellyfish at the beach. I'm pretty sure we were in Horseshoe Bay. Is this still a problem at the Bermuda beaches? Are there some where this is more common than others?

While in St. Thomas 3 years ago at Magens Bay, I saw what looked like a plastic bag (or so I stupidly thought) and kicked it because it was getting close to my leg. Now at the time I wasn't thinking about jellyfish, but about 10-12 mins. later when my big toe started to sting (luckily it was the only part of my foot that was stung) I realized I had been stung. I don't think it was really that bad of a sting though, becuase I was able to continue with my beach activities, go back to the ship, ice my foot for 20 minutes, and then go shopping. I think it all depends how many of the jellyfish stingers actually come in contact with your skin. We were told later on though that there are Man of War jellyfish at many of the beaches frequented by cruise ships. It doesn't keep me from the water now, but I do keep an extra eye peeled for those "plastic bags" in the water hah.

It seems as if alot of people like Clearwater Beach. My friend and I will be sailing to Bermuda on Saturday, and I was wondering if you could tell me if Clearwater Beach has chair rentals? Thank you , Karen

It seems as if alot of people like Clearwater Beach. My friend and I will be sailing to Bermuda on Saturday, and I was wondering if you could tell me if Clearwater Beach has chair rentals? Thank you , Karen

We were at Clearwater Beach last week and it was beautiful, gorgeous scenery and soft, soft sand. We rented chairs, umbrellas and peddle boats. Orginally they said they didn't have any floats but later I saw some girls using one and they said they were told there was none but the man in charge of rentals went into town and bought one. The beach was much less crowded than Tobacco Bay and other beaches.

Is there food available at any of the beaches? I'm thinking specifically of Clearwater Beach, Tobacco Bay or Horseshoe Bay? Any others that I should consider? I'm leaving on Saturday on the Empress, and we don't arrive at the first port until 3pm I believe - is that enough time to hit the beach, or should I wait until one of the longer days at port?

We got in at around 2:00 and had plenty of time at St. Catherine's beach. you can walk it, but it is a bit far. we took a taxi back! I was not impressed with Tabacco Bay, but you pass it to get to St. Catherine's. Eat lunch on the ship before you go, and take plenty of ice water! we filled up a few sport bottles with ice and a few with ice/water. it melts pretty fast out there.

As far as a nice, calm beach...we hit three, and all were calm. Elbo was the calmest-no waves at all. There is a hotel on that beach, but a hot dog is $10.00, so you may want to eat before you go! Horseshoe has some waves, but there is also a little cove there, so you should be fine there as well. There is also food there. Not too bad, price wise, but not like the states. I did see people from the ship who brought fruit to the beach.

Bermuda is beautiful! have fun.

Denise

We got in at around 2:00 and had plenty of time at St. Catherine's beach. you can walk it, but it is a bit far. we took a taxi back! I was not impressed with Tabacco Bay, but you pass it to get to St. Catherine's. Eat lunch on the ship before you go, and take plenty of ice water! we filled up a few sport bottles with ice and a few with ice/water. it melts pretty fast out there.

As far as a nice, calm beach...we hit three, and all were calm. Elbo was the calmest-no waves at all. There is a hotel on that beach, but a hot dog is $10.00, so you may want to eat before you go! Horseshoe has some waves, but there is also a little cove there, so you should be fine there as well. There is also food there. Not too bad, price wise, but not like the states. I did see people from the ship who brought fruit to the beach.

Bermuda is beautiful! have fun.

Denise

When we were there St. Catherine's had a strong undertow, and Elbow did have waves. . .nothing tremendous, but if you don't like any undertow or waves keep this in mind. My vote is for Clearwater Beach. . .I have been to Tobacco Bay, St. Catherine's, Horseshoe Bay, and Elbow Beach also. Each beach is "special" in its own way, but for a peaceful quiet beach close to the ship, Clearwater can't be beat.:)

Does anyone know how to get to Clearwater beach from the dock in King's Wharf?

Clearwater Beach is close to St. George's. It is pretty far from the Dockyards. You would need to take the ferry to St. George's and then a bus or cab to Clearwater Beach.

Horseshoe Bay or Elbow Beach are closer to King's Wharf.

Archived