Restaurant Recommendations?

adegner

We will be on the Zenith in September and we would love to try some of the local cuisine. Does anyone have some recommendations? (Lunch or dinner)

We tried the Pickled Onion on Front Street in Hamilton. The food was very interesting and tasty. I tried some things I wouldn't normally have. The coconut cole slaw was delicious. We are also going to try Tom Moore's Tavern, but that is expensive. If you are adventureous, the real, authenic Bermuda cruisine can be had at Dennis's Hideaway on St. David's near St George. I have been told it is truly an experience. The Swizzle Inn, in either St George or the new version on the South Shore is good. I have heard the Lobster Pot is very good as well. We also ate in the Frog and Onion and the food was good though pricey.

We ate at several local restaurants and the food was very good but very expensive. The seafood was the best. They charge per glass of tea and the glasses are small...I had no idea idea and had several refills....at over 2.00 a glass...my beverage bill alone was over 20.00....

As per the advise of these boards, we went to The Carriage House last week and LOVED it!! Fabulous seafood crepe appetizer. Yummm....

However....if I was paying full price I would not have gone there. Way out of my price range....especially when we could eat on the ship for free. (The bill for 4 people was $218.00....before drinks) NCL's dine a shore program is great.

The dine a shore program on NCL allows each adult passenger to purchase a lunch voucher good at several places in Bermuda. The cost of the voucher is $5 and is good for lunche up to $25. The voucher can be upgraded for dinner. The dinner voucher is $10 and is good up to $50. Only one voucher per adult. Some restaurants have a set menu for these and some allow you to pick anything off the menu. Its a great deal.

The dine a shore program on NCL allows each adult passenger to purchase a lunch voucher good at several places in Bermuda. The cost of the voucher is $5 and is good for lunche up to $25. The voucher can be upgraded for dinner. The dinner voucher is $10 and is good up to $50. Only one voucher per adult. Some restaurants have a set menu for these and some allow you to pick anything off the menu. Its a great deal.

What happens if you have a family of 4. Are we able to buy one of these vouchers for the kids or do they have to pay full price. If what I saw above where 4 people cost $200+ and you were only able to get vouchers that covered $100, it wouldn't be too cost effective. Can you clarify? Thanks

Actually I do not think the food prices in Bermuda are that expensive. Bermuda is a tourist destination. Consider that the food must be brought in by ship or plane. If you go to any tourist spot in the U.S. or any Caribbean islands you will find prices that are just as high if not higher. you need to find out where the local go, that is where you will really find good deals. I am sure some will agree and some will disagree. This is just my opinion.

What happens if you have a family of 4. Are we able to buy one of these vouchers for the kids or do they have to pay full price. If what I saw above where 4 people cost $200+ and you were only able to get vouchers that covered $100, it wouldn't be too cost effective. Can you clarify? Thanks

Every passenger over the age of 12 will receive a voucher. I just doublechecked the NCL website to make sure that is the case. You will receive a brochure listing the participating restaurants and sample menus. The bill was $218 for dinner of 4, the balance due I believe was only $18. The Carriage House in St George has consistantly had great reviews from returning cruisers. If you have a child under 12, most of the restaurants have children's menu with reduced portions and prices. The charge is $5 per voucher and is good for a $25 credit. If you want to use a voucher for dinner, then for an additional $5 the reception desk will upgrade to a dinner voucher good for $50 per person. I really think this can be an affordable way to experience some excellent restaurants with real Bermuda flavor and atmosphere. This program is exclusive to NCL and only in Bermuda. It is excellent value and not enough people take advantage of it.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

If you go to any tourist spot in the U.S. or any Caribbean islands you will find prices that are just as high if not higher. you need to find out where the local go, that is where you will really find good deals.

As someone who once lived there I'm sorry but there isn't much in the way of secret local hideouts where food is inexpensive - it is expensive all over the island. You can save a bit of money by eating at diners like the Spot in Hamilton, or at burger stands, but for a reasonable dinner you are likely looking at $18-25 for entrees, minimum, no matter where you go. The Swizzle Inn is actually one of the more affordable places in Bermuda. Pickled Onion isn't bad, and Hog Penny has decent prices for many of their dishes as well.

If anyone likes Indian food one of the best restaurants is House of India - everyone in Bermuda loves it. Reservations are ususally needed because it is a busy place. It's in a rough neighbourhood though so always take a cab from Hamilton and have the restaurant call you a cab for the trip back. It's a short distance from Hamilton, maybe $6-8 cab fare.

Every passenger over the age of 12 will receive a voucher. I just doublechecked the NCL website to make sure that is the case. You will receive a brochure listing the participating restaurants and sample menus. The bill was $218 for dinner of 4, the balance due I believe was only $18. The Carriage House in St George has consistantly had great reviews from returning cruisers. If you have a child under 12, most of the restaurants have children's menu with reduced portions and prices. The charge is $5 per voucher and is good for a $25 credit. If you want to use a voucher for dinner, then for an additional $5 the reception desk will upgrade to a dinner voucher good for $50 per person. I really think this can be an affordable way to experience some excellent restaurants with real Bermuda flavor and atmosphere. This program is exclusive to NCL and only in Bermuda. It is excellent value and not enough people take advantage of it.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

I want to add that the Carriage House allows you to use the voucher towards the gratuity which is automatically added to the bill. The only thing that is not covered under the voucher is sodas and wine/cocktails. We used the recommendations of the CC'ers and were not led astray. The food is delicious and the portions are huge. There was live musical entertainment the night we were there. Just remember to go to the service desk and change your lunch voucher for a dinner voucher. The waiter said that many people come in and don't realize they need to do this.

Just back from Bermuda today:

Absolutely enjoyed our dinner at the Carriage House in St. Georges. We reserved a table (via internet) on the patio overlooking the bay! You are able to order anything off of the menu and dinner and grats. are included in the vouchers! We upgraded our vouchers from $5 (lunch) to a $10 (dinner), which allowed us to cover $50 (each) from the menu!! We did order a bottle of wine(not included in the voucher) and everything was great!!! Super Value for $10!!!!!

Cheers....F&T

By accident before the NCL vouchers we found a little "joint" at the back of a mall on Front Street where we had hamburgers and cokes.. But with the voucher we have eaten at the Frog and Onion... for lunch and iced coffee was included.. We haven't tried the White Horse..but in 48 days we will go there and try it out.. Our most favorite place is the Swizzle Inn... the fish sandwich is so big that you can really divide it.. then add their humungus onion rings, a pitcher of rum punch and maybe if you are really hungry or you can try their chowder and famous sticky chicken wings.. and oh yes.. don't forget to buy a t-shirt.. they change every year...and they are really cool. OH how I love that place to people watch.. The best part is the bus stop to St. George is right outside the door.

Archived