Transportation by bike or Moped - bermuda

Ladycrusoe

Hi !

We are booked on Zenith on september 9th.

We plan to do some cycling. We know that there is a railtrail but we would also like to use regular roads. In fact, we plan cycle aroune the entire island (we are experienced riders).

I would like to have some opinions about cycling on the roads i've heard that it can be hazardous because they are narrow.

Also, did any of you rented moped ? Is it dangerous (in traveling guides, they almost discouraged me to rent them....

Thank you !

Just got back from a week on the Majesty in Bermuda. Three prior times we rented mopeds and had no problems, so we rented them again. Since we had our whole family with us we rented a total of seven mopeds.

The first day on the way back to the ship my husband hit sand, ended up at the ship's medical center every day for bandage changes, and no more salt water swimming. He was not badly injured, but was badly road burned...elbows, knees and knuckles.

The traffic has changed...much more of it, the roads are narrow and winding, and the pink Bermuda buses now take up over half the road! There was also a Bermudian killed the next day on a moped. So......I would suggest bikes, no more mopeds for us!

We have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise 8 times and every time we go on the way home there are lots of people either on crutches, arms in slings or bandaged. Bermuda has a fantastic transportation system. A 3 day pass is $28 and is good for both the buses and ferries. A couple of years ago a woman from our ship was killed when she and her husband hit a bus. The roads are very narrow. People also have a hard time getting used to riding on the left. The round abouts get pretty tricky.

We rented scooters and had a great time on them. We drove into Hamilton from St. George's and had to pull to the side a lot for people to pass. The highest speed limit on the island is 35 kph, (20 mph) but a lot of people drive much, much faster. The drive back from Hamilton was not as bad, and we just drove around St. George's to the different beaches after that. I would suggest driving on St. George's, but not on the main roads where there is a lot of traffic. You could probably take the bus the first day to check out the areas further away, and then decide if you want a scooter.

They are a lot of fun and saved us some $$$ since we wouldn't drink and drive, but you really do need to be extra careful.

Beehive, I hope your DH is all healed. Why couldn't he go in the salt water. I always thought it was good for healing, but I'm sure it would sting like crazy.

Jackie

Locals told him to go in the salt water byt doctor on board vetoed it as she said he didn't know what type of organisms would be in the water with him and he would be risking infection. He also had strained some ligaments so was on a cane...

He is healing, but I think it's going to be a slow process as his burns were very deep on one knee and one elbow!

Locals told him to go in the salt water byt doctor on board vetoed it as she said he didn't know what type of organisms would be in the water with him and he would be risking infection. He also had strained some ligaments so was on a cane...

He is healing, but I think it's going to be a slow process as his burns were very deep on one knee and one elbow!

The poor guy. Not a very pleasant way to spend the rest of vacation. Those road burns really hurt, and I can imagine the strained ligaments really added to the pain. I hope he heals quickly.

My DH sliced his toe open on an escalator on the Mercury and had to get 12 stitches a few years back. The doctor told him not to go in the water, now that I'm thinking of it. I thought it was because the cut was deep, but it was probably for the same reason.

Jackie

Dh and I were in Bermuda a few yrs ago and we either took a taxi or bus....We airlined in and were staying at a hotel. My dh had been to Bermuda a few other times on buisness related travel and he rented a moped and loved it....and wanted to rent one in the worst way when I was with him but I said no way.I would have loved to have toured the island on a moped but after witnessing so many near misses...I decided against it. ..the roads are winding, narrow and the drivers are loons...The buses and taxis come right up on the moped and bike riders....We also heard that there are several moped injuries everyday....some minor and some very serious. What a way to ruin a vacation.

The very nice gentleman, who showed us how the bikes worked, told us that the biggest bikes they're allowed to have on the island are 150 cc's. He said that people get parts and make them up to 650 cc's. They have races and drive them on the streets also.

Some of the people certainly do drive like maniacs, and you do need to be careful.

Jackie

Some interesting info.....

http://www.bermuda-online.org/wheels.htm

We have rented mopeds multiple times and have enjoyed them. Actually the first time was in 1977. Back then there was a lot less traffic to worry about although we did see some people who had fallen off their mopeds. In fact, back then other than downtown Hamilton I think there was one or two traffic lights on the Island.

With that said, it is really a personal choice.

The last time I was in Bermuda it was on business and I was taking some people around the island. I always am very safe about what I do, but as the people were following me for a few seconds my focus was on where to take them next and I almost lost control of the moped. Somehow, I didn't fall and was able to regain control. So, even though I am normally very careful, I almost had an accident.

In short, the vast majority of the people who rent mopeds will not have an accident but some will so you will have to factor the risk of getting into an accident vs. the enjoyment of renting a moped.

Keith

DH is healing well, and thank goodness, ligament does appear to be healing on its own! However, I guess at ages 65 and 63 we ware a little to old for mopeds in the future! He still had a good time as we had all our children and grandchildren with us!

Personal choice, definitely, but I think it's much more crowded than the other three times we were in Bermuda! Better safe than sorry....

Archived