7 night cruise. What happens during a typical cruise? Formal dinners/ shows??

I hope I can get some feedback on our cruise. This is our first one and we will be on the Empress of the Seas going to Bermuda for 7 nights. We leave Philly on Saturday 8/5 @2pm and return the following Saturday in the am. Here is what we were wondering:

• What nights are usually the formal dress nights at dinner?? I heard there are usually two formal nights during a 7 night cuise and we want to do them all. (We don't get to go out to formal dinners at home much)
  • Does the ship have entertainment every night even when we are at the ports in Bermuda?
  • We chose the early seating. If for some reason while at port we don't make it to the early seating, can we get the late seating?
  • Does the breakfast, lunch buffets last all day?? what if we slept late and wanted to have brunch?? What would they do for us?
  • When they have shows, is their a early show and a late show?? or just one time each night.

I hope some of you can remember some of the details. We are really looking forward to this vacation!! :)

I hope I can get some feedback on our cruise. This is our first one and we will be on the Empress of the Seas going to Bermuda for 7 nights. We leave Philly on Saturday 8/5 @2pm and return the following Saturday in the am. Here is what we were wondering:

• What nights are usually the formal dress nights at dinner?? I heard there are usually two formal nights during a 7 night cuise and we want to do them all. (We don't get to go out to formal dinners at home much)
  • Yes there are 2 formal nights, not sure which nights though and you will see everything from go to church type dress to very formal long sparkly gowns. The men a suit or tux is appropriate. Tuxes can be rented from RCCL.

• Does the ship have entertainment every night even when we are at the ports in Bermuda?
  • There usually are shows each night, not sure the night of Bermuda though as I am doing my first Bermuda in Sept.

• We chose the early seating. If for some reason while at port we don't make it to the early seating, can we get the late seating?
  • You could try to get in the late seating, but don't count on it. Otherwise you can go to the buffet

• Does the breakfast, lunch buffets last all day?? what if we slept late and wanted to have brunch?? What would they do for us?
  • The buffets will be open for brunch.

• When they have shows, is their a early show and a late show?? or just one time each night.
  • There are shows to accommodate both dinner seatings

I hope some of you can remember some of the details. We are really looking forward to this vacation!! :)

Have fun!!!

There are two formal nights. It has been my experience that they are not always the same nights on each ship, so I will skip that one and hope someone else can be accurate. The ships I have been on (a dozen so far) have had entertainment every night. They have always had two shows each night to accommodate both dinner seatings. The buffet hours vary from ship tp ship, but do not run continuously. They usually close down for one to two hours between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner. With that said, room service is available 24 hours a day, simply pick up the phone and call! If you do miss your early seating, it is unlikely that you can join the second seating. However, the Windjammer is open during that time and does serve a lot of the same foods. We always choose the second seating just so we don't have to rush back for dinner. You could possibly change your seating on the first day aboard if you think missing the dining room is going to be a problem. This is the best I can do on your list, hope it helps a little.

If you have early seating for dinner do not expect to automatically be admitted to the late seating. Your assigned table for early seating dinner will have someone else assigned to it for the late seating. The best thing to do would be to speak to the maitre'd at the dining room door. He would know if there are any empty seats at any table. As for eating brunch if you wake up late, there will be defined hours that the buffet is open. As mentioned, they will close between breakfast and lunch. The breakfast buffet will usually end earlier on days the ship is in port since most passengers will eat early and go ashore.

The only thing I can add to what has already been said is that usually the formal nights are reserved for sea days. I'm not sure what your itiniery is but I've done caribbean, alaska & hawaii and each time the formal nights were one where we were at sea. I agree with the dress code. And definitely go to dinner. It is an experience just looking at how everyone is dressed. Sometimes that is the best part. AS for food the Windjammer is open until about 9-10 with breaks for the chaning of the meals ie between breakfast and lunch etc. And room service is great for a snack or meal.Whatever you do enjoy:)

DH is very practiced at skidding into the 'Jammer for late breakfast, so we are very familiar with the hours.

Sea days are later, and they usually stay open until 11:00. Otherwise, they are open until 10:30. Check the daily Cruise Compass newsletter each night in your cabin to make sure the hours aren't different. Some ships stop serving at 10:00. If you want an omelette made to order, then get there at least 15 - 20 minutes before they close.

Your dining room table is very likely assigned to another passenger for late seating, as superjerryw said, so if you miss your early seating, then the 'Jammer is your next best option.

Don't worry--you won't miss your seating--You'll be excited to get there to talk to your new "dinner friends!" Dinner is one of the highlights of a cruise. You get to chat with someone other than the folks you chat with all the time! Compare excursions, discuss upcoming ports, talk about past cruises, or favorite foods, etc.... You get the picture. Unless you're in port and having dinner there, don't worry about it!

Archived