Spring Break Cruising

Could someone please tell me when "Spring Break" usually occurs? My wife and I do not have any kids yet and are sailing APR 28th, 2007 on the Carnival Liberty and are wondering if the ship is going to be packed full of kids. Not that we don't mind the kids, it's just we have been reading other threads about cruising during Spring Break and how, well, you get the picture:eek: .

Carnival Conquest 9/9/07

Carnival Liberty 4/28/07

Holland America Oosterdam 10/8/06

Carnival Conquest 8/14/04

Could someone please tell me when "Spring Break" usually occurs? My wife and I do not have any kids yet and are sailing APR 28th, 2007 on the Carnival Liberty and are wondering if the ship is going to be packed full of kids. Not that we don't mind the kids, it's just we have been reading other threads about cruising during Spring Break and how, well, you get the picture:eek: .

Carnival Conquest 9/9/07

Carnival Liberty 4/28/07

Spring Break occurs anywhere from mid-March to April. Most April Spring Breaks will coincide with the Easter Holiday. I am not sure when that falls in 2007 but I would think that a sailing on 4/28 would be beyod the Spring Break time :D I totally understand!! I am a single mom with 4 kids. When I cruise with them school break is the best time BUT when I cruise solo I prefer to go when the youngsters are less abundant!

Being that I live in the theme park capital of the world, spring break lasts anywhere from Feb-April. College spring break is mostly in March. I am also booked on the Liberty for April 28th. We are safe, everyone will be back in school by then.

Being that I live in the theme park capital of the world, spring break lasts anywhere from Feb-April. College spring break is mostly in March. I am also booked on the Liberty for April 28th. We are safe, everyone will be back in school by then.

Ah....well.....those Feb breaks are a whole nuther catgory in my book :)

It is true however that many areas (including mine) has a week long break in Feb as well as March. We call the Feb break "Winter Break" around here. Feb breaks usually fall around Presidents Day.

IF you don't want to travel with a lot of kids then I would not sail mid February through the third week of April.

Still....to the OP.....I think you are safe!!!

Carnival Conquest 9/9/07

Carnival Liberty 4/28/07

The reality is that the spring break you should be concerned with is when the K-12 students are out. While the college spring break causes an increase in twenty somethings on the cruise (and it is a small increase only) the real culprit with kids is the younger bunch.

Most K-12 systems have spring break the week before or the week after Easter. Those are the two weeks when you will have big crowds of younger kids on board.

Next year Easter will be April 8th. Our school district here is closed from 3/30 - 4/10. Most of the public schools here in NY either close the week before or week after Easter. I cruised out of Miami in 2005 the 3rd week of March. This was the week prior to Easter. Yes, we were loaded with college aged kids but had no issue with them. It was the elementary school aged kids who run the ship without supervision who are the occasional problem.

Here in Texas most spring breaks for K-12 are mid March. We typically have a 4 day weekend for Easter unless we've had snow days and need to make up the time. The mid-march date puts spring break immediately following exams at the 9 week point. A lot of our high schools are on block scheduling with courses running 9 or 18 weeks. Most of the colleges in Texas and Oklahoma are on the same schedule as the K-12 schools.

I wonder if the departure port makes a difference in how many younger kids cruise during a particular time? For example, would cruises out of Galveston have more spring break kids in mid March when Texas schools are out than cruises from New York where spring break is the Easter week? I know that we would be more likely to depart from Galveston than a port where we'd have to pay for airfare (4 of us) and maybe extra hotel days.

This year my SIL started her Spring Break March 17th. We sail on alot of Spring Break cruises because thats the time we can go, The Cruises are alive, lots of fun and usually never any serious problems.

Archived