Are kaki shorts and dressy top ok for a smart casual night?

mstv

Gosh, I noticed the poor OP ducked out long ago. Will probably be scared to death to step on board. I just came back from my first cruise and girl if you are still here, I guarantee you will have a blast. I was on a "stuffier " line than this one is supposed to be and am just an ol redneck at heart. I was scared to death of all the rules and found most of them were self imposed. Use the guidelines that so many nice people are willing to help you with, dress to go with the flow and ENJOY!!

I was just thinking about this "no shorts" thing. Theres no many styles of bottoms...what constitutes a pair of pants vs a pair of shorts? Like...capris. They're not pants. So are they shorts? And "clamdiggers"...not pants..but not really shorts either. Also gauchos. They don't come all the way to the floor like pants, so they must be shorts. But wait, they are longer than knee-length...so does that mean they're not shorts?

I kind of wonder if the "no shorts" thing just means no casual shorts. No short-shorts, no jean shorts, etc etc. Or, just makes sure that everyone practices modesty at dinner. The outfit that THECHANDLERS99 described ("I have a pair in a black dressy fabrick that when paired with a gorgeous top, sexy heels and fabulous jewelry look amazing. They are just past my knee so really, it looks like a black skirt.") sounds lovely to me. Would the Maitre'D really have a problem with shorts that look like this paired with a nice blouse and some heels: [URL="http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=198686&CategoryID=9018"]http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=198686&CategoryID=9018[/URL]

I mean, its the cruise line's decision obviously, if they want to turn people down at the door, fine with me! And I'm not pushing my luck by wearing anything even close to shorts..pants and skirts and dresses only. Just thinking out loud here :D:D

[quote name='thechandlers99']Please do not jump down my throat for saying this...it is only my opinion.

Shorts are hugely popular this season. They are all over the runway. I have a pair in a black dressy fabrick that when paired with a gorgeous top, sexy heels and fabulous jewelry look amazing. They are just past my knee so really, it looks like a black skirt. I think an outfit like this would be fine to wear to dinner. It is not the same as wearing a pair of jean shorts or cotton shorts.[/quote]
As a mere man I have always assumed that the no shorts ban in the dining room only applied to us males. If a knee length skirt would be acceptable as ladies attire then why not knee length shorts, especially if the lady in question has the figure to carry it off. Not certain about pregnant ladies but again if she has the figure why not. When my wife was pregnant she would have looked great in a pair of dressy shorts.
John.

[quote name='mindykatz'] Would the Maitre'D really have a problem with shorts that look like this paired with a nice blouse and some heels: [URL="http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=198686&CategoryID=9018"]http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=198686&CategoryID=9018[/URL]
[/quote]

Mindy, I was determined not to jump into the debate here, but was intrigued by your post and clicked on the link. :) While the discription on the Web site at that link does call these a "City Short" I'll bet if you showed just the picture without the description that most women would refer to those as capris, and I don't believe the Maitre'D would turn someone away for wearing them.

On the other hand, these: [url]http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=183851&LinkType=CrossSell&PseudoCat=9018&LinkLoc=9018[/url] are definitely shorts, and it's up for debate whether they would be "acceptable." Personally, I wouldn't wear them to dinner in the dining room, but I enjoy wearing "smart casual" on smart casual nights. :D

Cheers!
Jayne

:D

My definition of shorts is anything from below the knee up; from below the knee to heel, they're pants which, depending on the length, can be capris, crop or full length. FYI, the Macy's link above are called by their definition, "shorts." I don't care what you call them or what fabric they're made out of, shorts are shorts.

My definition of shorts is anything from below the knee up; from below the knee to heel, they're pants which, depending on the length, can be capris, crop or full length. FYI, the Macy's link above are called by their definition, "shorts." I don't care what you call them or what fabric they're made out of, shorts are shorts.

While you're certainly entitled to your own definition, both dictionary.com and Webster define shorts as at or above the knee and the "shorts" in the picture are below the knee.

That they are called "City Short" in the description is exactly what I said if you reread my post. But, I do believe if you showed the picture without the description, most women would call them capris.

I agree with you that shorts (by definition--pants that are above the knee) are shorts no matter what they're made of.

Cheers!

Jayne

:D

Very true....but the shorts shown in the Macy's link are below the knee, so they fit your definition of pants. ;) Fashion is so confusing! :eek:

LOL I don't really care too much, I was just kinda lazily reading the thread and thought I'd think through my keyboard a bit.

Wonder how many women in shorts they'll turn away, and how many women in minishirts they'll happily let in...hahaha! :p

My vacation starts tomorrow everyone! YAY! Talk to you when I get back!

I'm guessing that some of the maitre'd's will have different feelings. Some may think that shorts for women would be ones way above the knee and some may dissed ones at knee length or higher. Some may consider the material. I wore a mini-dress (lacy dark green) for a formal night on my last cruise. I've worn it before for fancy occasions, including cruises. I also wore a long silk dress and a LBD for the other formal nights. I think it's all in the perception and here in it's in the mind of the maitre'd's whether to send a pregnant woman back to her cabin on a smart casual night.

Why does this question keep coming up? Shorts are not allowing in the formal dining room for dinner. Plus, it is rather chilly in most dining rooms to wear shorts. Slacks, skirts and capri's (smart casual), but no jeans or shorts.

Let's not be too hard on her. I live in Phoenix and it's 112 in the shade today. There are not too many places that you would be out of place in shorts in the summer. People wear shorts 12 months a year here. It looks fine with a nice pair of sandals, nice jewelry and a beautiful silk blouse - here in Arizona. But it's DIFFERENT on a cruise. So it's hard to understand when you have the word "casual" in the description, not to think shorts. I don't know where she is from, but if she is from Phoenix then I can at least understand the question. Just the fact that she asked the question, shows that she wants to respect the dress code.

Let's not be too hard on her. I live in Phoenix and it's 112 in the shade today. There are not too many places that you would be out of place in shorts in the summer. People wear shorts 12 months a year here. It looks fine with a nice pair of sandals, nice jewelry and a beautiful silk blouse - here in Arizona. But it's DIFFERENT on a cruise. So it's hard to understand when you have the word "casual" in the description, not to think shorts. I don't know where she is from, but if she is from Phoenix then I can at least understand the question. Just the fact that she asked the question, shows that she wants to respect the dress code.
I understand what you mean. However, I live next to a sailing town where sailboats come from all over the world. There are several yacht clubs and shorts are the accepted dress code EXCEPT in the dining room at dinner.

I understand what you mean. However, I live next to a sailing town where sailboats come from all over the world. There are several yacht clubs and shorts are the accepted dress code EXCEPT in the dining room at dinner.

Not everyone lives in an area where sailing is popular and there are yacht clubs! Some places in this country are extremely casual. Take the keys for example. As long as you are wearing something, you are dressed proper.

Not everyone knows the proper dress for a cruise ship...hence the reason why cruise critic is so great!

I do not think the Maitre' D reads Vogue on a regular basis!

If you would wear the outfit out to a "nice restaurant", then it is probably ok to wear in the dining room. I, personally, would not wear shorts at night. That being said, I (along with the cruiseline I think) consider shorts to be those "short" things you wear during the day, out in the sun and to the islands....

the purpose for the dress code is that the cruiseline doesn't want you looking like you just got in from the beach....they just want you to change into something nicer for dinner.

If you look at yourself in the mirror, and think, "gosh I am really going to look out of place at the fancy dining room", then you should probably change into a skirt, capris, or pants.... (btw capris are definitely allowed!)

Remember that evening casual is different from daytime casual....

So, to answer your question, I would say go ahead and get a couple pairs of pants.... you could always bring just 2 or 3 pairs of pants and mix it up with different blouses, shoes, accessories, etc.

I have never heard or seen anyone asked to leave the dining room because of what they were wearing. We have seen some pretty badly dressed people. One guy on Radisson always wore torn up faded blue jeans to dinner every night. I think if you look nice & neat they will not say anything. I too, always wear black pants & just change the tops. I use to bring so many different outfits, but its easier this way. Be comfortable especially since you are pregnant. They understand, I am sure. Congrats on the baby!!:D

I have never heard or seen anyone asked to leave the dining room because of what they were wearing. We have seen some pretty badly dressed people. One guy on Radisson always wore torn up faded blue jeans to dinner every night. I think if you look nice & neat they will not say anything. I too, always wear black pants & just change the tops. I use to bring so many different outfits, but its easier this way. Be comfortable especially since you are pregnant. They understand, I am sure. Congrats on the baby!!:D

I have seen people turned away on several cruiselines.

Scott

Wow, I have been on 14 cruises (6 different cruise lines) & never seen it happen. Maybe you have been on more. What do the dining room staff do? Ask you to leave, tell you to change your clothes? I am curious. :o

I was on the Coral Princess, Personal Choice dining room. Some people arrived wearing shorts and the maitre'd stated something to the effect of "shorts are not permitted in the dining room. we'll gladly hold your table if you wish to go to your cabin to change."

Why should there be an exception? Pregnancy is a condition not an illness. If a pregnant woman is so uncomfortable that she needs to wear shorts in the dining room or be waited on in the HC, then she should not be away from the comforts of home!

It's interesting, Ethel, you jump on everyone's case, don't you?!

Shame on you!!:mad:

Archived