Problem on RCCL - What type of Compensation do I expect? (merged)

If no other positive change comes from this thread, at the very least many hundreds of us here have read this story, and are now equipped to handle any similar future problems with a stern "I read how you completely screwed that guy on Explorer, and I can assure you, you won't get away with that this time!"

This is a sad but important lesson in what happens when you take their word rather than their action as an adequate response.

Not to fault the OP for doing this, I think we all assume pure motives from those in charge of these kinds of things, but it would certainly appear they don't deserve that benefit of the doubt any longer.

Theron

Sorry to disagree. Results were offered, OP chose not to take them.

I would not ruin my whole vacation, clearly there was an issue, I just question the magnitude of the problem. There is a much bigger issue here, if you can't enjoy a show or port due to a wet carpet, RCCL is not going to be able to fix it.

I still don't see what the damages are, except the time spent complaining personally on my vacation I have better things to do.

If I got bump to an inside after planning a balconey, I would treat myself with a good present.

If the switch was made the first day, I would ask for the difference between the inside and balconey and ask when I could move back to the balconey when the carpet was fixed.

I imagine, they could pull up the carpet, let it dry, and place a new carpet in a few days time.

I would not ruin my whole vacation, clearly there was an issue, I just question the magnitude of the problem. There is a much bigger issue here, if you can't enjoy a show or port due to a wet carpet, RCCL is not going to be able to fix it.

I still don't see what the damages are, except the time spent complaining personally on my vacation I have better things to do.

If I got bump to an inside after planning a balconey, I would treat myself with a good present.

If the switch was made the first day, I would ask for the difference between the inside and balconey and ask when I could move back to the balconey when the carpet was fixed.

I imagine, they could pull up the carpet, let it dry, and place a new carpet in a few days time.

I agree, but sadly in this day and age of internet platforming and compensation for a sneeze in the wrong direction, such easy ways to resolve issues are a thing of the past for some people.

A soggy carpet in a cabin that I was in but had been moved from temporarily certainly would not stop me enjoying the food, ports and shows. I would chalk it up to just one of those things that happen sometimes (and that just add a bit of spice to things and something you can have a laugh about later cos you know that someone will come up with a joke about it) and enjoyed my well earned holiday as planned.

Maybe we who find the OP's problem and his handling of it hard to comprehend are those of us who like the simple, common sense way of living.....:rolleyes:

They can do this not within a few days time, but within a couple of hours.

I´ve seen them doing this pretty fast.

My take on this is I wouldn´t have unpacked in the first place, just straight moved to the guest relations, take the inside for one night, have them fixed it and then enjoy the vacation from day two in my balcony room. And I´m sure they would have done something about one lost day.

Who else can claim they had a shower waterfall in their cabin? I'm surprised they aren't working out a price increase on this cabin. When the spin doctors get done with this one, it will be the hardest cabin in the fleet to book. :D

On a serious note, I would be so angry if my vacation had been ruined like this one.

Some people seem to have missed the fact that an alternative cabin wasn't offered until day 5?!!! There was no option to move earlier!!!

No I have not missed that, I think as most others, but it wasn´t asked for any change earlier, so there was no chance for them to offer it earlier.

BTW I´m not saying that the OP made all th emistakes and RCCL did everything right. But I think both sides in this story made their portion of mistakes and miscommunication.

Some people seem to have missed the fact that an alternative cabin wasn't offered until day 5! There was no option to move earlier!!!

Excuse me for stating the obvious but had the OP gone to report the problem the moment he realised there was one, and made a formal complaint at the time...ie day 1 before unpacking...he probably would have been given another cabin.

He waited and faffed about so in the eyes of the cruise line, the problem was portrayed as not that bad by the OP.

Not if he had reported the problem day one and before unpacking. He was offered another cabin, he should have taken it and sorted the balance difference out on day one.

Goldryder - Please read the OP's messages again. It was not until Day 5 that they offered him to change cabins. 3 days after the 1st complaint.

Goldryder - Please read the OP's messages again. It was not until Day 5 that they offered him to change cabins. 3 days after the 1st complaint.

If we are to believe that this soggy carpet was present from day one and he didn't happen to mention it straight away and he accepted the cabin as fit for use and he didn't exactly stamp his foot when he complained...not to mention refusing a cabin offer while his was sorted....the timespan of 3 days before the offer was made is quite understandable. He didn't make the complaint so of course it wasn't dealt with on the first day. The delay was entirely his own doing, not the cruise line's.

Whether the OP should have done something differently in the beginning is a moot point. He did the best he knew how under the circumstances.

It is not at all unreasonable for the employees of RCCL to behave in a way that is in the customer's best interest. His major sin was in trusting the people he spoke with.

I hope all of you are not suggesting that all RCCL employees are either liars or incompetent or both. Because if that is the way you feel, you shouldn't be sailing on their ships.

It is also unfair to criticize the OP for saying this episode ruined his vacation. If you read the post, you will see that a considerable amount of his time was spent in dealing with this issue - not in being on vacation!!! And when he wasn't actually dealing with it, I am sure that it was on the back of his mind.

This wasn't a slightly damp rug. This was a cabin that stunk badly enough to require having their clothes cleaned. For people who spend a lot of extra money to be in a balcony, it's because they WANT to spend time in their cabin.

It is all well and good to say that he should have just moved into an inside cabin and worked out the compensation later. However, every conflict resolution advice I've ever read states that once you concede (by moving or whatever), you've lost your negotiating edge.

All the guy wanted to do was have a nice vacation. Unfortunately, one of the problems with a cruise ship is that you can't just 'check out of the hotel and find a new one'. You're captive.

If the attitude on this board is that you trash the OP, people are going to stop asking questions. And then what is the point?

Personally, if it were me, I would ask for a 50% discount off the lowest rate I could find for a future cruise of any length. I would tell them that that is the only opportunity they would have to show me that this particular experience was not a common one on RCCL.

<now getting off her soapbox>

Show your wisdom not your criticism...:mad: .

In a perfect world, this would be possible, but too often, when offering the wisdom we have attained, it is accepted as criticism.

Then, it is considered an attack, and so goes the thread.

Some here have tried diligently to suggest, probably through years of experience, to make suggestions - then they are assumed to be critical of the OP.

Not necessarily so - just trying to impart some of the wisdom - as you suggest.

The OP is an experienced cruiser - stating this was her 12th! She undoubtedly has some "Wisdom" in this arena.

As always, I have learned something here. If we encounter this type of situation, I would probably take the advice of some to not accept the cabin in the first place, leaving the luggage in the hallway, or near the Hotel Manager's office until some action was initiated.

Thanks for your wisdom, and good advice (Not criticism IMHO). :)

It may have been stated earlier, but so I don't have to go back and read all 10 pages....What did the OP feel would have been adaqate compensation?

I mean, he was offered an inside cabin while repairs were to be made. I find it really hard to believe that if another balcony cabin had been available, RCI didn't offer it. Do you think this guy Darien wanted Rich down in his office everyday complaining? I feel as though RCI made reasonable offers but the OP just wanted more. What more, I do not know.

So can someone refresh my memory and let me know what Rich wanted?

It may have been stated earlier, but so I don't have to go back and read all 10 pages....What did the OP feel would have been adaqate compensation?

I mean, he was offered an inside cabin while repairs were to be made. I find it really hard to believe that if another balcony cabin had been available, RCI didn't offer it. Do you think this guy Darien wanted Rich down in his office everyday complaining? I feel as though RCI made reasonable offers but the OP just wanted more. What more, I do not know.

erm...well...erm...I think he wanted a dry carpet...though I am not altogether certain :D

Now had he accepted the temporary replacement cabin while his was being sorted, he would have had 2 dry carpets to play on ;)

There's just no pleasing some people though :rolleyes:

It seems "GoldMember" still has not read the first post. The OP reported it as soon as he noticed it and it still took 5-days for them to offer a new cabin. He should not have to ask for a new cabin. RCCL should have offered it immediately. It is called Customer Service.

You wouldn't have to read all 10, just the first 3-4 pages. I think $500 was the number offered. Which is fair since the price difference between balcony and inside is at least that when you are talking about 2 people.

Maybe by reading the first 4 pages you might get a better feel for what the OP is going through and realize that he isn't being so "unreasonable".

There's just no pleasing some people though :rolleyes:

And then there are those that will defend every cruise line no matter what while being condescending to wards others!!!:rolleyes:

The entire problem here is the attitude and the comments made by Darren. It's obvious that the man does not know who to handle customer issues with the comments that he made. One thing about this whole situation is allowing many folks that have never sailed RCI the chance to see how they treat their guests when issues arise. No it's not going to stop me from cruising with RCI but it does make me think how I would be treated if I had a serious issue on board one of their ships.

Dear Mr. Goldstein,

As a dedicated and loyal Royal Caribbean customer, I was concerned when I read this thread on the Internet regarding a problem that recent RCL customers had onboard Explorer of the Seas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=374992

While it is blatantly apparent that you and your staff, including Brian, Michelle, and Darren onboard Explorer, do not take the customer seriously, take a look at the damage that has been brought to Royal Caribbean over this incident on the link provided. This problem should have been rectified DAY ONE into the cruise. Instead, it has turned into a disaster for your customers, and it was employed by none other than the three mentioned above.

We have noticed a steady, marked decline in customer service with Royal Caribbean. While we experienced minor customer service problems on our recent cruise onboard Explorer of the Seas, all of this negativity about RCL has added up. You really should be taking these boards very seriously, because there are potential future cruisers, looking to see what happens from all of this. Summing this up, this incident has become a PR disaster for Royal Caribbean.

Shame on YOU, sir, for having lackluster staff onboard Explorer and for them not taking appropriate action to make sure that your customers were taken care of in a QUALITY fashion.

We will no longer sail with your cruise line.

Sincerely

/s/

This incident has obviously placed an indelible mark on Royal Caribbean...we are cruising next time with Celebrity.

It was his whole reason for starting this thread...he was trying to get some feeling for what would be appropriate.

Didn't end up helping him much, from what I can tell.

T

You wouldn't have to read all 10, just the first 3-4 pages. I think $500 was the number offered. Which is fair since the price difference between balcony and inside is at least that when you are talking about 2 people.

Maybe by reading the first 4 pages you might get a better feel for what the OP is going through and realize that he isn't being so "unreasonable".

I did read all ten pages, just couldn't remember. So I do have the same sort of "feel" for what the OP is going through. If he had taken the inside cabin, then he would have deserved the $500 price difference. But he chose not to. He decided to spend most of his time on here bad mouthing RCI, complaining about everything he didn't get. And for all of you saying there are a few of us who stick up for the cruiselines, why wouldn't I? I've had nothing but 2 perfect cruises with RCI. And if I ever would encounter a problem, I wouldn't settle for anything less than what I though was reasonable. And I certainly wouldn't spend my vacation complaining on a message board, because what purpose would that serve? Did any of you cancel your RCI cruises because of this thread?

The entire problem here is the attitude and the comments made by Darren.

Do we really know what all Darren said? It's all heresay.

I wonder why? A legitimate complaint exists - plus it's a PR disaster for Royal Caribbean.

Well it might have something to do with you posting that email...erm..its just not done around here matey :rolleyes:

Although I sympathize with the OP about his problem on the Explorer, and I expressed my opinion many, many posts ago, I was NOT there, do NOT know all the facts, and....

personally object to being included in any mass complaint (via this thread). So, I will be unsubscribing, also.

Archived