Wine (Box)

Kcarp

I have a question for you all, What type of wine in a box is a SWEET wine? I would prefer a red wine and it be sweet, I do not like bitter or dry wines, and I really do not know much about wine, I do like Lambrusco that is my favorite, is there any box wine close to this?

Thanks alot:D

I packed the 3-litre box on my last cruise and it was great. I would buy a glass of wine at dinner and then go back to my cabin a few times during the evening for a refill. It was also nice to have a glass before dinner out on the balcony. I'm partial to red wine and think the Hardy's Shiraz is great.

I just found out recently that the Valor cruise we're on in December is the Presidential Wine Cruise.......... I doubt there will be any box wine tastings!! :rolleyes: (shhh.....don't tell Uncle Bob)

We're also on the Valor Wine Cruise in December. We went last year and it was great. If you like wine, I would suggest you participate in the wine cruise tastings. It may cost you a little bit more, but it is worth it.

RichandSue

Unless someone is a true wine expert, they will be hard pressed to tell the difference between wine from a box and wine from a bottle. In fact, I remember hearing that one won some awards a couple of years ago. I drink White Zinfandel for the most part and you cannot tell the difference. If anything, it stays fresher in the box than in a bottle. It's also much cheaper. Good wine doesn't have to be expensive or in a bottle. I don't like dry wines at all and have had some expensive wines that to me were terrible. There is so much of a snob factor surrounding wine. Once it's in a glass, most people can't tell anyway.

Took a couple of boxes on Carnival to Alaska, Princess to Alaska and one box on QM2. No problem anywhere. Put in fridge to keep cold. One of the fridges was really small. We just kept refilling the bottle our kids bought us that was in the room.

By the way, we still had a strong bar bill, buying wine at every dinner, and drinks at bar.

About to go on NCL this fall. The have **** cops looking for booze that they take, and wine they get $15 corkage for. Hoping that the box wine gets through okay. Any ideas or suggestions for getting box wine aboard and through the xray?

As for NCL I think it may depemd on what port you go out of. I was on the Jewel last month out of Barcelona & had 2 boxes of Sangria & a box of rose ( smaller boxes than what you see in the States ) in my carry on. It went right through the x ray machine without a problem.

I have a question for you all, What type of wine in a box is a SWEET wine? I would prefer a red wine and it be sweet, I do not like bitter or dry wines, and I really do not know much about wine, I do like Lambrusco that is my favorite, is there any box wine close to this?

Thanks alot:D

Only high volume wines get the box treatment. You might want to try White Zin (white zinfadel) as that is usually available in a box and a sweet, almost strawberry like wine. Get a small bottle to try it first. Doubt you will find Lambrusco in a box.

• 1 year later...

When we lived in italy--you could buy wine in a littel box like the kids have for juice boxes!! It had its own straw LOL

Boxed wine also came in liters etc..

actually some of the best wine we drank came in bulk from the local cantina --which filled the containers we rbought.

After loving there--the whole snob appeal of the "right" bottle is funny--and having to pay $17 for a bottle in the US thats costs me $3 in Europe...makes me want to move there!

Now how to handle martinis without a a huge tab...:confused:

I enjoy a sweet boxed red from Franzia called Chillable Red. Not super sweet, but good cold and sweeter than many reds. Taste in wine is like taste in anything - to each their own. I have tried many different wines, and keep comming back to this one.

We took a 5 lt box on our last 7 day cruise, 3 adults sharing a glass or two each day (large glasses). It was too much, I'll take a 3 lt box on my next cruise. We took a small cooler and had the cabin steward fill it with ice, kept the bladder on ice all week. No problems. I had packed it inside my suitcase inside a large ziplock bag. No problems with either airline or Carnival. Luggage was checked through, not opened by TSA on the way down.

Hope you find one you like.

My DH and myself are booked on the Carnival Spirit in October and it is the first time we will sail since Carnival clamped down on how many bottles of wine you can take on board. We take around 7 bottles of wine for a 8 day cruise. So my question is a box of wine hold around 3 bottles. do you think we could get away with carrying that on board instead of packing it in the suitcases. Thanks for the help.

Number1cruiser

i brought a 3 liter of box wine in my carry on noone asked any questions and i also brought a collapsable cooler and everyday i had the room guy put fresh ice in the cooler, it was great. you have to take the bag out of the bod though because the box does disintegrate. it had a spout in it so no cork is required. hope this helps.

lesley

motherofthree

I have always found that the boxed wine makes great wine spritzers. I like mine with a splash of Sprite. If you purchase a soda card you are set for the week. To me it is a nice in between drink if you don't want another beer but are not up for the really sweet drinks.

I also will be bringing a few small bottles of Champage so that I can enjoy Mimosas on the balcony.

Hurry October 22nd!!!:D

On our 7 day Pride cruise we brought 2 boxes of wine. We had a 4 litre each red and white that we packed in a seperate suitcase by air and then to the porter. We are from Canada and weren't sure we would have time to pick up bottles of wine in Long Beach. We had a bit of both left at the end of the cruise so we asked if our cabin stewardess would be able to take it...she was very appreciative.

Payd:)

My DH and myself are booked on the Carnival Spirit in October and it is the first time we will sail since Carnival clamped down on how many bottles of wine you can take on board. We take around 7 bottles of wine for a 8 day cruise. So my question is a box of wine hold around 3 bottles. do you think we could get away with carrying that on board instead of packing it in the suitcases. Thanks for the help.

Number1cruiser

Hi-

We went on the Pride last year and took a box of BlackBox wine, plus several bottles of liquor...all in our luggage that Carnival checked. The only comment I heard was from the luggage handler at the curb, who noted..."Must be the booze, it's a HEAVY one!"....needless to say, he got a little extra tip!!!

I enjoy a sweet boxed red from Franzia called Chillable Red. Not super sweet, but good cold and sweeter than many reds. Taste in wine is like taste in anything - to each their own. I have tried many different wines, and keep comming back to this one.

quote]

I usually prefer a sweeter wine and therfore the Franzia chillable red is the only box wine I buy - I really enjoy it. It's good for an everyday wine. The tips about the 3 litre boxes sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have to look around and see if I can find the Chillable red, in a smaller box, for my upcoming Glory cruise.

Would I be able to find a box in the Supermarket in FT Lauderdale or better to look in the liqour store?

Can get ones in NY, but don't want to have to fly down with it. I like Wine Zin.

How tough is the bag? Is it likely to break in the suitcase or do I need to wrap it and 2nd bag it for protection?

Would I be able to find a box in the Supermarket in FT Lauderdale or better to look in the liqour store?

Can get ones in NY, but don't want to have to fly down with it. I like Wine Zin.

How tough is the bag? Is it likely to break in the suitcase or do I need to wrap it and 2nd bag it for protection?

Both Publix and Winn-Dixie carry 3 liter boxes of wine.

HI Mom2

Grocery stores, even a SUPERTarget will have wine in a box. I expect a liquor store would too but haven't ever looked there.

If you are a Sams or Csotco member--you may find one in the area as well...

But I KNOW grocery stores and SUPERTarget carries them. Haven't bought them but they are in the grocery aisle

Hope that helps

ALso--For what its worth--last year we cruised, bringing about 8 bottles--4 each, red and white...Carnival had no prolems with it since we consumed them in our room. We got charged one corkage fee one night taking a new bottle to the dining room--But when we took an open bottle to the dining room we were not charged.

HI Mom2

Grocery stores, even a SUPERTarget will have wine in a box. I expect a liquor store would too but haven't ever looked there.

If you are a Sams or Csotco member--you may find one in the area as well...

But I KNOW grocery stores and SUPERTarget carries them. Haven't bought them but they are in the grocery aisle

The ones that I buy come from SuperTarget. In our store they are on an endcap on the beer/wine aisle. It comes in several varieties but the white sangria is my favorite as it is a little sweet. I don't like plain wine as well. I agree that you should take it out of the box.

I have found the white sangria at a Super Target. I'm planning to bring one of the small cubes on our cruise. You all seem to be packing it in your checked luggage.....is there a problem with putting it in your carry-on? I thought we could bring a couple of bottles?

When we sailed Carnival last year--I rolled all of the bottles in beach towels in case they broke--

I would take boxed this time...

As for luggage vs carry on--It is heavy and I only carried on a handbag--and my husband a daypack--the kids I think had maybe a daypack--

But it was more of being free then having to lug something around until we could get into the room and drop it all

Just our take..

Archived