Reasonable Butler Requests?

This is probably a silly question....... so please excuse my ignorance on this! I'm a first time cruiser and first time dweller in a courtyard villa later this month on the POH. What are some reasonable requests for a butler or concierge?

Granted, I understand that this is the POH so what is usual on NCL may not be so on this ship. :) I guess I'm thinking they can handle reservations for the specialty restaurants and maybe have breakfast delivered? Any other special things?

Thanks for all your responses.

LadyAngler

This is probably a silly question....... so please excuse my ignorance on this! I'm a first time cruiser and first time dweller in a courtyard villa later this month on the POH. What are some reasonable requests for a butler or concierge?

Granted, I understand that this is the POH so what is usual on NCL may not be so on this ship. :) I guess I'm thinking they can handle reservations for the specialty restaurants and maybe have breakfast delivered? Any other special things?

LadyAngler

On the Star the concierge made the dinner reservations, early disembarking, first tendering for tours and answering any questions we had.

The butler would serve us breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks and snacks in our cabin, if we had wanted. He will serve drinks and snacks if you have a party (we did not). He will get cd/dvd's for you. Enjoy, you will be spoiled and never want to cruise in anything lower than a suite.:)

Absolutely have breakfast delivered every day, they do a great job! White table linens, flowers, etc. Order "off menu", for example eggs benedict.

You can ask them to cater cocktail parties (bring goodies etc). Or a pre-dinner cheese plate.

They can bring mixers for drinks, including daquari type things from the bar.

It is the concierge, though, who does the dining reservations. He can also get you priority tenders. Not sure if they help on shorex.

Tip the butler and concierge based on the level of service you request

It is the concierge, though, who does the dining reservations. He can also get you priority tenders. Not sure if they help on shorex.

Yes, the concierge will assist with shore excursion booking.

I think Shoreguy put it best. The Concierge arranges things for you and the Butler does things for you.

Did I say that right Jim?:cool:

PE

LadyAngler

Just think " a butler...butlers"....butler will handle anything related to your suite...food,(24 hrs., per day) problems with suite (that room stewards do not handle), cocktail parties, etc.

Concierge handles (outside of your suite) restaurant reservations, tender tickets, shore excursions, embarkation, disembarkation...anything NOT to do with in-suite.

Have a great cruise:)

Remember to tip them accordingly;)

Our butler opened wine bottles, poured wine (with our cheese platters), delivered gifts that were sent to our penthouse, etc. We did not make good use of the Butler- my girlfriend and I were too busy giggling over being so spoiled! (Our penthouse was an upsell.) Unlike the penthouse I just booked for my husband and I in Alaska - I now know exactly what I'll ask of my butler and daily breakfast is one of them!

Okay, here is a request I've been debating. We are sailing on the 8/13 Jewel out of Barcelona. Very port intensive all day excursions (private not ship excursions we will be using). I have an 8 year old who is a VERY picky eater and I"m concerned about what she'll eat when we are on excursions. Our cabin(s) DO have butler service. Could I ask the Butler ahead of time to pack some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or some "kid appropriate" meal), drink and snack to take on the excursion for our little one? For that matter....could he arrange for us to take along some drinks and snacks for ourselves too? Thanks for your opinions.

Okay, here is a request I've been debating. We are sailing on the 8/13 Jewel out of Barcelona. Very port intensive all day excursions (private not ship excursions we will be using). I have an 8 year old who is a VERY picky eater and I"m concerned about what she'll eat when we are on excursions. Our cabin(s) DO have butler service. Could I ask the Butler ahead of time to pack some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or some "kid appropriate" meal), drink and snack to take on the excursion for our little one? For that matter....could he arrange for us to take along some drinks and snacks for ourselves too? Thanks for your opinions.

There would be something VERY WRONG if a butler could not handle this simple request!!! Yes definately you could and should ask this and have it with no problem!!

My only problem is that I have personally never been on a cruise (just booked my first) so I am use to butler situations that does not include actual removal of food from ship... I do not know if for some reason this would be a no no... but other than this, to me this would be a very simple request to make!!

I hope this helps a little!!:)

The only problem is that almost all (maybe all) countries forbid you from bringing food into their country. The exception is (sometimes) pre-packaged food.

"The only problem is that almost all (maybe all) countries forbid you from bringing food into their country. The exception is (sometimes) pre-packaged food."

Okay...this is interesting, and something that never even occurred to me. Question: Isn't the ship already IN the country? It will have cleared customs by the time you leave ship for an excursion.

Okay...this is interesting, and something that never even occurred to me. Question: Isn't the ship already IN the country? It will have cleared customs by the time you leave ship for an excursion.
In some countries you'll have cleared customs before leaving the ship. But not bringing food off the ship is pretty standard everywhere. It's like bringing plants and meats back into the US. When I returned from England in 2001 at the height of mad cow, every bag was searched before we could clear customs. When overseas, we usually buy packaged, sealed snacks and bring those along on excursions. In some countries there are hefty fines for open food being brought into the country.

The "food" off the ship issue usually has to do with fruits and vegatables or plants. I seriously doubt a PB&J and carton of milk will be an issue. Just don't brag about it and no one will be the wiser.

PE

PB&J
You're probably right. However, I had to surrender a jar of peanut butter (unopened) that I tried to bring home from a cruise that ended in San Juan, PR. It was a spicy peanut butter that I bought in Funchal. As you said...fruits, vegetables and plants...that usually includes nuts too. I know I'm thinking worst case scenario and the worst that would happen would be having the food items taken away but to be prepared, I'd still bring some unopened granola bars or trail mix, etc.

Okay, so it IS okay to ask the Butler to put together a lunch for my daughter for us to take ashore.....but I should be prepared to have to confiscate it possibly???? Sounds like a plan! :) Thanks all for the advice and the "heads up" about taking food off the boat.

By the way..do they check your bags leaving the ship? On past cruises I just remember them checking bags when you came back on board. Or....then again, maybe my memory is deserting me again! :confused:

Okay, so it IS okay to ask the Butler to put together a lunch for my daughter for us to take ashore.....but I should be prepared to have to confiscate it possibly????
Also, you can ask but he may not be allowed to do it. A better solution might be to order room service and pack something up yourself if the butler can't help you.
Cecilia...your little curtain climber is getting cute.
Thanks PE. He'll be 9 months old next week. How'd that happen? In the last 7 days he started crawling, got his first two teeth and learned how to pull himself up to his knees when holding on to something. He's also sleeping 12 to 13 hours a night. Yippee! There is sanity back in our world. :D

Guess what a butler did for us!!!! My husband had broekn his back. He was wearing a back brce. it came time for the first formal night and I simply could not get him into his tuxedo. You guessed it The butler did it!. I don't know what I would have done without him.

In the last 7 days he started crawling, got his first two teeth and learned how to pull himself up to his knees when holding on to something. He's also sleeping 12 to 13 hours a night. Yippee! There is sanity back in our world. :D

You think there is sanity back in your world. He is only letting you get a few more hours of sleep so you can try to keep up with him when he finally starts walking.:rolleyes:

PE

Okay, so it IS okay to ask the Butler to put together a lunch for my daughter for us to take ashore.....but I should be prepared to have to confiscate it possibly???? Sounds like a plan! :) Thanks all for the advice and the "heads up" about taking food off the boat.

By the way..do they check your bags leaving the ship? On past cruises I just remember them checking bags when you came back on board. Or....then again, maybe my memory is deserting me again! :confused:

I would NOT make the butler responsible.

Order what you want from your butler and pack it up yourself. Just bring saran wrap/baggies in your luggage.

And, if your child is picky...bring her own drinks on-board and then pack them when you disembark.

They, normally, only check your bags when you return to the ship;)

He'll be 9 months old next week. How'd that happen? In the last 7 days he started crawling, got his first two teeth and learned how to pull himself up to his knees when holding on to something. He's also sleeping 12 to 13 hours a night. Yippee! There is sanity back in our world. :D

Cecilia....sorry to say, he lost that "baby" look.

Now a beautiful "little boy"..no more baby:(

Love the pics.

Just remember...the walking is their first step toward "independence".

Are you ready for that?

We look forward to his cruise reviews:)

hi. I have traveled with NCL before in a penthouse or owner's suite I believe. you get a conceirge and a butler. The conceirge makes the dinner reservations and brought up videos for my younger siblings to watch. The butler does everything else. You can ask them anything you want. They are on call 24/7. If you order room service he/she brings it. If you need help unpacking or packing up they assist you. If you have complaints they handle them. They give you complimentary wine and spirits. I have not traveled on NCLA yet, with a butler. I will be travelling on the POH in the Garden Villa on August 21st. I will be happy to post back my experience if you have not gone on your cruise yet.

Archived