Question about tipping on Royal Caribbean

Hello,

I plan to go on RCCL's Freedom and am unsure of the proper tipping etiquette.

I keep hearing that there is a mandatory service charge that is put on your seapass from the get go.

Is that meant to take the place of tipping?

Also, I have read some of the tipping articles on this site, but can someone give some real world guidelines on what to tip and whom I should tip assuming the service charge is not in lieu of tips?

This is very unclear to me as a 1st timer......

Thanks very much!

First of all, Welcome to Cruise Critic! I sure wish I had found this site before our first few cruises!

Here is a site that will calculate your tips for you. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/ TPKeller is a member here on CC, and has created a great site.

Near the end of your cruise, you can opt to have your tips put on your SeaPass, which you can pay with your credit card, or you can opt to pay cash for your tips. If you put the tips on your SeaPass, you will receive vouchers in envelopes which you can give to the appropriate service people. You can also add more $$ to it if you wish.

If you get room service, you usually tip them a couple of dollars when they deliver your food.

If you get a pop/soda/beer/alcoholic drink, there will be an automatic 15% added to that bill.

If I haven't answered all of your questions, please let us know. Someone will have the answer for you!

Have fun planning your cruise!

1st--you should request a vacation brochure from RCI--that has almost ALL of the info you will need for your cruise. Everything from tipping guidelines, to cruise etiquette, to packing needs, clothing, etc... Then, you read the brochure, and armed with all of your knowledge, you have a great cruise vacation!!!!!!

Hello,

I plan to go on RCCL's Freedom and am unsure of the proper tipping etiquette.

I keep hearing that there is a mandatory service charge that is put on your seapass from the get go.

Is that meant to take the place of tipping?

Also, I have read some of the tipping articles on this site, but can someone give some real world guidelines on what to tip and whom I should tip assuming the service charge is not in lieu of tips?

This is very unclear to me as a 1st timer......

Thanks very much!

You may have RCI confused with another line, perhaps NCL. RCI does not place your tips on your account unless you specifically authorize them to do so. It does not have what you refer to as a "mandatory service charge". If you want to tip your room steward and dining room stewards in cash, you are free to do so, and while there are suggested amounts to tip, you are not bound to pay those amounts. If you feel the service is better than you expected, you can exceed the suggested amounts. If not, you can reduce them to amounts you feel are appropriate. If you do decide to have the tips added to your account, the amounts will be the suggested amounts. You can add cash to the vouchers you receive but you can not adjust the amounts downward.

There is a 15% tip added to all of your drink orders, whether you are on deck, in a lounge or at the bar. Since I always tip bartenders and wait staff when I order drinks on land, I find that the automatic tip works out well and helps me avoid the over or undertipping that sometimes occurs when you pay cash and use the change to tip the server.

I believe someone has pointed out the tip calculator available on line, but RCI will give you sufficient advice about the recommended tip amounts while you are onboard, so don't worry.

The basic tips cover the room steward and the dining room staff. If you order room service, make use of the concierge service, or find an especially good wait person or bartender, you should offer them gratuities as well to indicate your gratitude. Those amounts are at your discretion.

Archived