Handicapped cruisers given priority use of elevators on RCI?

This sure sounds like my post from 2005:

Elevators for Wheelchair User/Peak Periods

I would love to see the cruise lines designate a specific elevator for wheelchair/power chair/scooter users during peak periods. It gets frustrating not to be able to get onboard the elevators during peak periods. Ideas? Comments?:)

Since most of the ships have 3 to 4 banks of elevators, forward,midship and aft....would you make a designated elevator at each bank and tie up 4 elevators......when there are not enough elevators to begin with....:rolleyes:

and....when the wheelchair bound passenger gets off.....how do you keep me from getting on before the door closes....:)

Oh......that's right....there is a sign....:)

Although we were not given any priority in general, on our recennt cruise on the Sun Princess, only wheelchair passengers were allowed to use the elevators right after the boat drill. It was nice not to have to wait 20 - 30 minutes or more for an elevator.

I guess you really can't keep AB from using the designated elevator during peak periods. But, then, what stops AB's from parking in disabled parking spots or smokers from smoking in non-smoking areas? What are the chances of getting caught cheating "just a bit" on taxes? Our society's survival depends on individuals following rules and laws.

In the community where I live (Calabasas, CA), there is a $270.00 fine for parking in a handicapped spot without a placard. If you are handicapped and simply forgot to put up your placard you must prove it by faxing a copy of your placard license to the courts.

Also, if you are caught smoking in any environment, in my community, you are warned and or ticketed. You, literally, have to smoke in your car (with the windows up) or at home! I'm not sure how much that fine is. But, it's getting more and more difficult to either smoke or cheat where I live!

All of the Marriott hotels and their subsidiary companies are going "non-smoking" nationwide!

It won't be long before more and more large companies and corps. will follow suit! :)

• 2 months later...

Here's a legal explanation of the duty to accommodate in Canada. Our human rights codes and charter of rights and freedoms maintain that there is an obligation not to discriminate on the basis of disability. Part of not discriminating entails accommodating people with disabilities so they can enjoy the same "things" as others. Accommodating people with disabilities requires knowing that the person has a disability and what their functional limitations are so that we can ensure their needs are met. For very visible disabilties, this is obvious. For invisible disabilities, this is more difficult. This is where doctors' notes come into play. They verify that there is a bona fide disability and outline the required accommodations that the service provider, employer etc must provide. A note from a doctor stating a person is a wheelchair user and requires certain hotel accommodations would suffice. Without this verification, one has no duty to accommodate. Many businesses etc will accommodate people without a doctor's note particularly as their businesses become more universally accessible, but others may require it. There is no privacy issue as the business/employer etc. are required to keep medical documentation confidential and only relay the required accommodations to those who must make them happen.

My understanding of the ADA (similar to Ontario's AODA) is that it sets minimum requirements for building and service accessibility but does not get into the duty to accommodate and medical documentation on an individual level.

Loreo:

You are correct in your assesment of the ADA. We can't ask for specifics regarding medical conditions or require a doctors note in order to give accessible services, because it would be an invasion of privacy as somebody pointed out. We can however ask "what type of accommodations do you need because of your disability" not "describe your disability in detail."

I expect once the Access Board finalizes the guidlelines for cruise ships and they actually go into effect, the legal departments at the cruise lines will prohibit employees from requiring a doctors note for accessible rooms, and instead instruct them to ask the passenger, "what accommodations do you need for your disability?"

Accesptable questions would be "how wide is your wheelchair?" but not "What is your diagnosis?"

"I need an accessible room" would probably not be a detailed enough response to the "What accommodations do you need" question, however "I need a room with a roll-in shower" would be.

When you look at the big picture, I don't think you necesarilly have to be under a doctors care to require accessible accommodations. What about folks who just get around slow (don't use a wheelchair), yet need to sit down in the shower? That's why we need more accessible cabins on cruise ships, because as our population ages the definiton of "disabled" expands.

Candy

• 3 months later...

We are living in a dream world if we expect any cruise line to enforce the signs. We didn't see any signs on the Explorer. There are rude people everywhere. It doesn't matter what side of the world you come from either. We just learned real quick, if everyone is going down- then go up, What goes up must come down! At least eventually. We had people pushing themselves into the elevator to fit without any regard for my wheelchair bound son, even holding onto his wheelchair- which should be off limits. I sometimes make comments like- I wish we could take the stairs with Nathan......some will then turn and use the stairs.

Paml

Royal Caribbean Explorer 11/06

NCL Majesty Western Caribbean 2/06

NCL Spirit Exotic Caribbean 4/05

Holland Zaandam Eastern Caribbean 1/04

Holland Zaandam Western Caribbean 4/03

Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 6/02

paml: I, too, have seen people "jam" into an elevator and if someone was in a wheelchair, they'll hold onto it or even push it further back into the elevator.

There is no cure for "rudeness!" :mad:

We travel with a service dog. And, we cruise a lot! I try to stay as upbeat and friendly with the public as I can. But, when they start pushing and stepping on her.....I LOSE IT!!!!!!!!

Once, onboard a cruise, we had entered the buffet area and a man, who was already seated, shouted, quite loudly, "I'm not eating here with a dog!" He didn't leave but we placed ourselves as far away from him, as we could! It was extremely hurtful! :(

My skin is becoming quite thick, the longer I live! :)

We just went on the Costa Magicia, I heard so much about people and elevators on the Costa ships, how people push and shove. I'd just like to say, we had no problems at all with the elevators. For some reason the elevators seemed more roomie, the hallway space befween the two banks of elevators had more space than any elevators we where ever on. Our biggest problems where the maid carts in the hallways. Trying to get down the hall at cleaning time was challenge. I also want to say our W/C room was had so much room. It was great.

On the issue of elevators...

When the elevators are packed, I wait for a second one if it is packed too.

I simply ask if anyone would mind getting off so I can ride. People always get off. Sometimes so many people get off that the elevator is mostly empty. Most (not all) people will be kind when given the opportunity.

jean

as a handicapped person(full leg amputee) who has cruised for almost 15 years with either a wheelchair or a wheelchair and a scooter on several different cruise lines, I have not found the need to have any elevator dedicated to my disability. I appreciate the fact that most cruise lines do reserve elevators for wheelchairs right after boat drill, but I have never found the need to have elevators held otherwise. I consider myself assertive but not rude, and if one elevator is full, I wait for the next. unfortunately there are some rude able bodied passengers who do not do that; they act as though it was going to be the last elevator they had to squeeze on. But, recognizing that we have entered the "ME" era, I know nothing is going to change that. The fact that I have a well equipped accessible cabin (which I may have had to reserve months in advance) and am accomodated in the dining room and the show lounges, and provided with priority embarkation and debarkation is just fine for me:) so I do not advocate designating special elevators for handicaps.

I think the letter, and notorized, is the best idea. I think if you can't afford a $40 visit to dr for a letter with no date...then you should rethink priorities regarding cruise vs medical attention. If you even don't believe in western medicine, a visit to get evaluated simply for a document letter shouldnt be that big of a strain. Drs are usually very kind toward handicap ppl who strive for independence. A notorized letter from a licensed doctor is what it is going to take to keep AB from being greedy for the few hc rooms. Without it, anyone can book them as we have found out. Saying that though, I don't blame any cruise line for booking those rooms when its within 4-5 weeks of the cruise. But do feel those rooms should have documented only hc ppl before that. I also feel they should have to put on their diagrams of ship floorplans, which rooms are hc. Many AB ppl may not know its handicap when they book it since it doesn't say on there. Or atleast a list of hc rooms so we can see where they are on their ship. Its like the best kept secret in the world. And try to find out door widths of the ships different catagory doors...eeks. My pvp tried his darndest but even he couldn't find out reg balcony rooms door widths etc. I may use a measuring tape when I go in september lol but won't need to invade anyones privacy to do so. I may get a few odd looks lol.

I am concerned about the posts that state that passengers put their disabled passenger on the elevator, and then take the stairs themselves. If there should be a problem on the elevator, who would assist the HC passenger? I don't know that I would count on the other passengers. Not when I'm reading how inconsiderate so many of them are.

In response to notarizing doctor's signatures....not necessary....usually doctor's will use their own stationery or an prescription pad.

You can find all information, on any ship...in regard to handicapped cabins and where they are located, on which decks on the web site...deckplans.com.

• 9 months later...

I am confined to a w/c. I can't stand never mind walk. The only rooms my w/c will fit thru the door are the few accessible cabins. Many of them are filled with a/b people. Count the w/c's you see thru out the week then counbt the w/c you see for disembarkation. Some need them for the long walk to luggage claim but others just want to beat the crowd. How nice .It's too bad some people feel they are entitled to beat the system.Maybe somedat they will be lucky enough to end up in a w/c permanently . I am a service connected veteran. Welcome home.

Weel: I absolutely understand your position....However, there are handicapped folks, who need a HC cabin, not just for the WC access......

My DH has a hard time picking up his legs and getting up from a seated position, without the assistance of rails, in the the bathroom...etc., etc.

We need to be careful what we "assume", when we see a person who may look "able bodied" come out of a HC cabin......Sometimes there's more than we can "see" going on......;)

My husband did chemo treatments during some of our cruises, so some days he would be ok without the wheelchair, and others he would need it. He never really looked ill, but people - for the most part - were good about letting us on elevators. We did get one comment once "Hey - I should get one of those things so I can get special treatment too."

We did find that while we were waiting, if we said to the crowd around us "Thanks so much for letting us on," they would.

My husband was relatively young (43) and did not have any outward sign that would let you know his condition, so, as you know, sometimes you just can't tell who is "lazy."

Hi Roz! It's Mia with the twins - we cruised together a year ago. We'll be on the Golden in January - sorry we'll miss you!

Best to everyone,

Mia

Hi Mia: I hope the twins are doing well.....And, I'm sorry we'll miss you too!

We look forward to each and every cruise....no matter where it goes! And, we find that most people are generous in spirit and helpful.....We only "bump" into a few unhelpful/uncaring folks......

I promise to save some ship for you......

Just to chime in here, there were no signs nor any instructions about giving wheelchair users priority on elevators. That being said, the only time we ran into any difficulty was after shows let out, and right before people were allowed to disembark at ports of call. Otherwise it was pretty smooth. We did have one time when 2 or 3 elevators stopped that were too full to accomodate a wheelchair but that only happened once. I wouldn't worry.:D

There are no signs or reminders to be polite to WC users on RCI, so we decided to set the example by getting off elevators when we saw them waiting. We'd jump off and say, "You take our place, because we can take the stairs." We hoped others would think twice before they kept their lazy behinds on that elevator to go up one more floor while those who had no other option waited endlessly. Our ds uses a scooter part-time, so we know how that is.

It would be nice if people were polite enough that it weren't an issue. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to see a designated elevator, most ships don't have enough elevators to do that.

• 1 month later...

My sister and I don't use a wheelchair and we are not looking for a HC room but as for the elevators my sister has to use them. She cannot go up or down the stairs. She can't walk very far or for very long. She will be bring her cane. I have fibromyalgia. Some days I am okay and like to use the stairs but other days there is no way I can. Neither one of us really look handicapped except the canes that the two of us may be using.

tigercat

• 2 weeks later...

For those that don't have the "visible" disability..it has got to be hard because I know you have to get some horrid looks. On one hand though I'm glad that you atleast have some good days :). I don't know how to help though because of all the scammers, you get caught up in that crappy loop too. I am in a wc and get bad looks like I am a scammer cause I am not Old Old in a wc. Majority though are brilliantly nice to me. I never mind kids questions and when kids are insenitive it doesnt bother me at all because kids just say exactly whats on their mind.My husband can give killer looks though so that could be why we havent had many problems. ALl of my problems have been shopping times without him or my sons. I can be a right snot on my own too sometimes if really pushed. In my case though, I get the embarassing overly helpful ppl. I so appreciate it but often it is so much its very embarassing. That and my husband gets in a wad cause he jealously guards my care. He doesnt like ppl doing what he calls his role lol. I am very fortunate indeed to have such a loving husband but oiy it can get suffocating at times.

I am concerned about the posts that state that passengers put their disabled passenger on the elevator, and then take the stairs themselves. If there should be a problem on the elevator, who would assist the HC passenger? I don't know that I would count on the other passengers. Not when I'm reading how inconsiderate so many of them are.

I've assisted my mom into an elevator and climbed the stairs many times. I don't see where there is a large risk of elevators failing. Mom's inability to walk does not affect her ability to think in any way. If you want to play "what if", then we'd have to stay joined at the hip the whole cruise. Sometimes she wants to see a show and I don't. She goes to the theater and I do something else. If there is an emergency onboard and we have to evacuate, then we'll have to meet at the muster station.

Archived