Special Requests in Dining Rm or Rm Service

Wow -- hard to believe that they refused your simple request for Key Lime Pie. When we were on the Radiance of the Seas (in 2002), we loved the Key Lime Pie so much we requested it the next evening. Thereafter, they brought us a Key Lime Pie every remaining night of the cruise!! We loved that.

I'm not at all surprised that they couldn't comply with a Key Lime Pie request. The ship's kitchen is pretty darned busy - there are probably some requests that can be fulfilled, but think about it - there is a limit to the number of special orders they can prepare in a day. I would be surprised if they could fulfill even 1/10th of the special requests.

Perhaps my expectations are too modest, but when I'm on one of the large commercial lines, I don't feel that the ship's kitchen is at my beck and call and will prepare a dish at my whim.

So now I am thinking, should I expect more and demand a certain kind of chocolate cake or fish 'n chips, even if it's not on the menu? Is that what one expects on a ship? If it is, then I'm going to be thinking of all of my favourite dishes from now through cruise time!

I'm not at all surprised that they couldn't comply with a Key Lime Pie request. The ship's kitchen is pretty darned busy - there are probably some requests that can be fulfilled, but think about it - there is a limit to the number of special orders they can prepare in a day. I would be surprised if they could fulfill even 1/10th of the special requests.

Perhaps my expectations are too modest, but when I'm on one of the large commercial lines, I don't feel that the ship's kitchen is at my beck and call and will prepare a dish at my whim.

So now I am thinking, should I expect more and demand a certain kind of chocolate cake or fish 'n chips, even if it's not on the menu? Is that what one expects on a ship? If it is, then I'm going to be thinking of all of my favourite dishes from now through cruise time!

What we are referring to is ordering things that they already have on the menu, already prepare, and we are asking, with advance notice, to have again. I am NOT advocating dreaming up dishes that are out of the norm. But, we have been doing this to a small degree on practically every single cruise since 1973, and we have NEVER been turned down. So, I know the requests are not that unusual. That's why I'm so surprised at what happened to skiiergirl. She was asking for stuff that they make anyway.

I've asked for a certain ice cream, but more in a "do you have any of this", and it's no problem if they don't have it. Cooked to order stuff takes advance requesting, and they have always accommodated our requests.

P.S. Cinnamon ice cream.....it's to die for!!!!

We all want to know what to expect. In the past caviar, has been my only special request. They don't have it for the dining room that I can understand and deal with. But I have also noticed fewer choices each night on the menus so I think I may be doing a few special requests nicely as coached and tipping appropriately. I cook alot at home and big variety - I have one cookbook that has a different meal for each night of the year so I would like variety. It doesn't have to be expensive items just new and imaginative.

Speakin of imaginative - Cinnamon ice cream (have had it on the ship and it is usually as good as homemade) is the best. I love it with Chocolate sauce on the side so that I can eat a few bites of the ice cream and enjoy it's favor all alone and then make the ultimate Sunday. yummm

That's an example of something you could ask for because sometimes they have made it for the buffet or the crew and its just not on the menu. yummm

On AOS, on the night Tiramisu was served, I mentioned that it was my favorite dessert and asked if I could have it again on the remaining nights of the cruise. The waiter told me that he'd see what he could do, but then the next night, said that due to sanitatary issues, they weren't allowed to hold food over from one night to the next, so he couldn't save me additional pieces and the chef was not making it again, so he was unable to fulfill my request. (One night, he did run up to Portofino's and get me a slice, but that was it).

Caviar is typically served with finely chopped onion, finely chopped egg, toast points and either sour cream or creme fraiche. I think you would be hard pressed to find this in the WJ and room service would not have a clue.

Caviargal, I'll bet you a drink if we ever cruise together that she'll be able to find the egg, onion and sour cream in the WJ. Toast points, only if she makes a bunch of toast at breakfast & cuts them up herself. But I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe the champagne bar can make up a plate of the accompaniments for you, as they surely have them on hand for their own offerings. Sharing a taste or two with whoever does that would probably be greatly appreciated, too, sort of like sharing your wine with a wine steward.

Pinkrosedeb, I'd be doing the Tom Hanks thing, too. <shiver>

Caviargal, I'll bet you a drink if we ever cruise together that she'll be able to find the egg, onion and sour cream in the WJ. Toast points, only if she makes a bunch of toast at breakfast & cuts them up herself. But I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe the champagne bar can make up a plate of the accompaniments for you, as they surely have them on hand for their own offerings. Sharing a taste or two with whoever does that would probably be greatly appreciated, too, sort of like sharing your wine with a wine steward.

Pinkrosedeb, I'd be doing the Tom Hanks thing, too. <shiver>

Ok, we're on:).

I don't know....I do know that when I am indulging in caviar on vacation, I don't want to go hunt things down, chop them up, etc. And without warm toast points, it's just not the same.:( JMHO as one who relishes my infrequent indulgences in fish eggs.

I personally think it is tacky to go to the Champagne bar where they are selling caviar and ask for just the garnishes and toast. Kind of like bringing your wine uncorked to the dining room to save the corkage fee. And, a one ounce jar is barely enough for one, but to share?

JMO.

Ok, we're on:).

I don't know....I do know that when I am indulging in caviar on vacation, I don't want to go hunt things down, chop them up, etc. And without warm toast points, it's just not the same.:( JMHO as one who relishes my infrequent indulgences in fish eggs.

I personally think it is tacky to go to the Champagne bar where they are selling caviar and ask for just the garnishes and toast. Kind of like bringing your wine uncorked to the dining room to save the corkage fee. And, a one ounce jar is barely enough for one, but to share?

JMO.

I'll bet one ounce would be more than enough for pinkrosedeb & me!:D I wouldn't bother w/the hunting & chopping on vacation, but if that's the only alternative for her, what else is there to do? I guess I'd be tacky. Lazy and tacky!;)

Actually I think it's a flawed analogy - you bring your own wine to drink what you want and/or to avoid the absurd RCI markup. You pay the corkage fee for that privilege, have somebody open & pour the wine for you and to use the wine glasses. So she brings her own caviar & pays eggage. Or onionage. Or toastage. Somebody slap me!

(I'll just send the drink over to your table. You might not want people to think that we know each other).

Actually I think it's a flawed analogy - you bring your own wine to drink what you want and/or to avoid the absurd RCI markup. You pay the corkage fee for that privilege, have somebody open & pour the wine for you and to use the wine glasses. So she brings her own caviar & pays eggage. Or onionage. Or toastage. Somebody slap me!

Actually, I bring my own wine and happily pay the corkage as this is only fair, IMO. Their wine list is boring and their mark up is excessive.

My analogy was in reference to the folks that post asking if they pop their cork before hand and then bring in their wine to the dining room, do they still have to pay the fee. Or better yet, if they bring a box of wine instead, can they save the $15.00 since there is no cork. :cool:

We all have our own definitions of tacky and I guess my tacky-ometer is generally pretty sensitive:).

I can't believe you guys are giving my caviar predicament such thought. I do really appreciate it. If I didn't think that I was going to be able to purchase this special Iranian caviar, I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

I will definitey check out the Champagne Bar/Lounge. My memory tells me it was in area with not much air circulation and not open alot of hours therefore it tended to be crowded and smokey because people would hang out there before dining whether they were having a drink or not. But I think it will be worth my time to stop by and ask about their caviar service and see if they are open to "sharing" or providing a set up discreetly during a very quiet period. If not, back to schleping and finely chopping. I used to be sensitive about the schelping food until DH had a flu for 1 week of a 2 week cruise. I got used to getting him what he wanted when he wanted i.e. while he was still awake. I had to try to find tapioca pudding.

Now to checkout the buffet pictures!! What fun!!

On AOS, on the night Tiramisu was served, I mentioned that it was my favorite dessert and asked if I could have it again on the remaining nights of the cruise. The waiter told me that he'd see what he could do, but then the next night, said that due to sanitatary issues, they weren't allowed to hold food over from one night to the next, so he couldn't save me additional pieces and the chef was not making it again, so he was unable to fulfill my request. (One night, he did run up to Portofino's and get me a slice, but that was it).

Hey, Donna, I've been thinking about the reason they gave and I don't think it holds water. I know that they have to take everything out of the lauder between cruises. But I would think it is perfectly ok to hold food over a few nights, they do have a pen to mark the prep date, they do have refrigeration, I've even been told that they are starting to bing prepared foods on board. And some people complain that food reappears in different forms/recipes the next day on the lunch menu :p . I kinda put it in the category of they can't/don't want to do it, so they throw out some kind of explanation that usually works. I don't have the ingredients is fairly usual.

I love tiramisu too, I'm glad you got two servings; I be the one from Portofinos was great!

What ship were you on, skiiergirl? I read last week that one ship (can't remember which one) was skimping in the dining room.

I have to say your experience, as you pretty much stated already, is the exception. DH and I will make some special requests, and always have for over 30 years. Yeah, times change, RCCL is cutting back, etc. But, we've never had this problem in recent years on 5 different ships!

Did you talk only to your dining steward? We usually ask the head waiter when he stops by the table. Since he's the waiter's boss, he can give our waiter the instructions regarding our request.

Since RCCL has always emphasized service on board ship, we have requested these items if the menu doesn't suit us. DH has a standing order for just a plain lettuce salad, and one cruise we requested shrimp cocktail every night.

I am really surprised that you were turned down.

Nope...Didn't even ask the waiter for it. Mr. Ski went directly to the head waiter as we were trying to surprise one of our tablemates (friends) with the keylime pie for their anniversary since it is her favorite dessert. We had never made special requests until about 3 or 4 years ago and have since made special requests on each cruise and have always had them granted until this time.

We have never asked them to prepare something for us that is not "on the menu" at all. We have only asked to have "standard" items an extra night or so. Have never asked them to alter the preparation method of anything or create something new. Always just asked to have something "regular" on an extra or non-traditional night. Have never ever been turned down before. But we didn't make too much of a fuss and got over. Did not let it ruin our cruise. We have never walked away from a cruise hungry and this was no exception!

Not complaining....just expressing my opinion that it doesn't hurt to ask but don't be too disappointed if they can't/won't do it. Also...just wanted to point out that just because they did it for you last year on a different ship or for someone else last week on the same ship....they might not do it for you. Things change...go with the flow....just ask and if you get it...then yooohooo. If you don't get it, then just be happy with what you get and enjoy your cruise!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I dug up this thread because I had been reading the shrimp cocktail thread which mentioned some good luck on getting shrimp cocktails. One person even mentioned a family that had french fries for an appetizer each night in the dining room.

We all seem to enjoy talking about this one. Any more experiences - good and/or bad?

Archived