Romantic Advice Required - CC'er Style

Cunard Fan

We all know that being on ships as wonderful as the QM2 and, especially for me, the QE2 is an experience to be savoured. However, how romantic does everybody think a cruise on one of these Queens is? The reason I ask this question is that I am considering getting engaged soon, and wanted to propose on the ship (mainly the QE2).

So, over to you romantic-at-heart CC'ers; lets hear how you guys would make the event extra special and how the ladies would dream of it happening!!

If nothing else it makes a nice change from discussing who is wearing jeans and how many butlers can you fit in a Grills room! :)

Fabulous idea! Rather depends on whether you wish to propose in public - with a Chart Room waiter poised, primed with a bottle of the Widow's unction, or in private, gazing over the rail to the sunset - either would be memorable.

A story your grandchildren might dine out on!

For a more intimate venue the Champagne Bar (19.00 - 21.00) (One Deck, Forward of the D staircase) could also work.

Peter

The reason I ask this question is that I am considering getting engaged soon, and wanted to propose on the ship (mainly the QE2).

Odd you should think of that! We got engaged (well, agreed on the date for our Civil Partnership - the same thing) on the QE2 last Christmas. We're off on our honeymoon on the QE2 this Christmas. We decided on our plans on board because we wanted both the discount for being a honeymoon couple and the discount for booking whilst on the ship. We chose the Crystal Bar for the bottle of Champagne and for breaking the news to my Parents.

It's not that romantic a story, but we did get both discounts!:)

Woman's perspective.....on deck...preferably with moonlight...someplace REALLY private with a waiter hovering out of sight with champagne and strawberries and waiting for the appropriate summons. As you offer the choicest large strawberry to your beloved, unobtrusively tuck THE RING into it with the stone very obvious (I'd recommend suggesting that she admire the size of the strawberry before munching on it!!!) OK, that's the stuff of fantasies I guess....cheers, Penny

He wants Romance Not Finance!!!!!!!!

Nothing can be more romantic than a sunset at sea on a lovely warm evening, unless you like an audience then I should go for one of the Balls in the Queens Room if you brief the Cruise director I am sure they would sort out either option for you. If she says 'yes' I wish you nothing less than the 50+ years we have had.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Some good ideas there. I must admit I would probably go for a more private setting, I'm fairly certain I'll get an affirmative response, but just in case, walking round for the rest of the cruise with everyone going "Ohhh, what a shame!" would not be the best time I could think of :) . Placing the ring in a strawberry. Interesting idea that, would definitely have to make sure she looked at it first. Don't think the ships medical facilities would have had that kind of case to look into before! :) Thanks again, please keep those ideas coming.

I messed this one up.

I had decided to propose on the back to back transatlantic in 2004. We'd met in very early October 2003 and it seemed a good time.

Trouble is, I couldn't resist asking in November 2004, thus somewhat stole the thunder of the QE2...... Extra brownie points for the Savoy though...

It was a spur of the moment thing - I had this overwhelming sense of needing to spend the rest of my life with her, and any wait seemed unneccessary.

I didn't even have a ring! But we went shopping very quickly.

It isn't the size of the gesture that matters, it is the size of the love that makes for a memorable proposal.....

I must admit I would probably go for a more private setting...

I've been on the QM2 three times and have booked the Todd English restaurant on the first night on each of the cruises. All three dinners were quiet and romantic. On the first cruise, only two other tables were occupied. On the second, we had the whole place to ourselves the whole night! On the third, we had the place to ourselves the first half of the dinner and then shared the restaurant with one other table for the other half. I realize your preference is for the QE2, but if you're considering the QM2, this would be a good way to go. Good luck!

Propose on the QE2? Why that is just the best!

Are you pool people, movie buffs, Royalists? Morning folk, night hawks? Music your thing?

My favorite place to sit quietly is the small line of chairs outside the Lido on Quarter Deck, overlooking the pool. How about "will you?" at morning coffee there, watching the sea? Or there a quiet evening, watching moonlight on water?

What about the back row of the balcony in the movie theatre? Or the front row, if you think she won't jump over from happiness. It is always, too, a quiet time there before and after presentations. Very private!

Just before Tea time in The Queens Room, what if you "found" your ring box there, hidden in back of the bust of HM The Queen? Then you sit to tea, celebrants all around you! (I'm sure the room manager would get with the program, love to help.)

A morning stroll on Boat Deck?

An evening? In moonlight, yes! Hope for warm nights, no rain, mist. But then, how romantic, mist and fog and darkness!

Wanting children? Show her the children's room up the little starboard stairway on Boat Deck near the Queens Grill Lounge. "Find" your ring and propose up there!

There can be music all around the ship.....what about arranging her special song to be played ... oh, listen! Ask her then.

Up on Sport Deck in steamer chairs under rugs? There at Tea?

So many places .... good on you! Good luck! On QE2, what a wonderful place to "begin" a life together! :)

So many places .... good on you! Good luck! On QE2, what a wonderful place to "begin" a life together! :)

The trouble is.....if you are not familiar with the ship.....you may never find them again.......;)

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Peter ... :rolleyes: ... and judging from these weeks of silence, perhaps they are lost already! :eek:

Not yet - from another post I gather they sail a week tomorrow on the 10th.....I wonder what he's decided, or if like Kindlychap he's let ardour get the better of occasion (entirely forgivable in my view:))

Peter

Did our honeymoon on the QM2 and it was just the best. (Although being serenaded in the restaurant was a bit much.)

I vote for the "on deck at sunset or moonlight" response. Something quiet and private and just the two of you asea under the stars.

When my husband proposed he hand-made a small box that was placed in a silken drawstring bag. I opened the tiny box and there was a note inside saying, "When do we look?" (Obviously, he wanted my input on picking out the ring which we later bought in Killarney. Perfect!) I cherish that little box he made as much as the ring. The box, with the note still inside, placed in the silken bag, sits by our bed as part of the decor in our home where I can look at it every day. *sigh*

(I probably would have just eaten the strawberry...) :D

I think the back of the ship looking out as the sun sets(hopefully) with a glass of very good champagne.At the bottom of the glass there is an extra sparkle!!!(dont swallow it)The QE2 is the one to propose on without a doubt.Wishing you all the luck in the world,after 32 years it just gets better!

Kathie x:)

Thanks for all the replies everyone, some excellent suggestions there. Not posted for a while due to work committments, but, the plan is in full flow now! :) The ring has been purchased, how hard is it to hide the flaming thing;) , and I think the setting of the Princess Grill Bar with a nice bottle of champagne could well do the trick! I think there are a couple of other CC'ers on the cruise next week, hopefully we'll be able to share our excitement. Getting the old butterflies slowly but surely now, can't wait though. Thanks again to everyone who put their thoughts forward, very much appreciated. I will hopefully write a trip report on our return. For anyone on the Med cruise next week (10th is exactly right), hopefully see you soon!! :)

QE2 first choice. Sunset. Boat Deck or Sun Deck. Aft. Most passengers inside dressing for dinner at that hour, so it's more serene and quiet. A wonderful time of day on QE2. The ring in the champagne flute - you'll be clever enough to slip it in from your pocket as you point out something in the opposite direction to distract your bride. I love the ring in the flute trick. She has to savour the entire glass to get the prize, meanwhile you are wooing her with sweet admiration. Good luck.

I proposed about a year ago on the Radiance of The Seas in our Aft Cabin. I told her that I wasn't feeling well and got her out of the room for about an hour before dinner to sleep a little. I then took out all of the things that I schlepped with me on the cruise. First, I strung a ton of little sparkling white lights, (Xmas type) throughout the cabin and deck. I had made a CD of music that was special to us, I set up a table on the deck with a tablecloth and candles and ordered room service. By the way, the Radiance didn't have a table in the room so I bought a folding camping type and brought in my luggage with everything else on the plane. She loved it.

Good Luck.

Odd you should think of that! We got engaged (well, agreed on the date for our Civil Partnership - the same thing) on the QE2 last Christmas. We're off on our honeymoon on the QE2 this Christmas. We decided on our plans on board because we wanted both the discount for being a honeymoon couple and the discount for booking whilst on the ship. We chose the Crystal Bar for the bottle of Champagne and for breaking the news to my Parents.

It's not that romantic a story, but we did get both discounts!:)

Congratulations!

Please enlighten me on the Honeymoon couple discount?

My 87 year old father and his new bride are taking the QM2 for their honeymoon cruise on October 12.

Please enlighten me on the Honeymoon couple discount?

In their 2006/2007 brochure Cunard offered a one category stateroom upgrade. Unfortunately that discount has been removed form the October 2006 to April 2008 edition. I've spoken with Cunard who assure me that as we booked before the change the discount will still apply, although it won't apply for new bookings - sorry:(

I think that you'll find that the US fares are much cheaper than they are in Europe so I hope that helps to make up for not getting a discount.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth the cunard.co.uk website states that celebration benefits comprise:

" For your Wedding Anniversary or Honeymoon

•Champagne in your stateroom on arrival

•Fresh flowers in your stateroom on arrival

•Congratulations card from your Captain

•Formal portrait photograph

•Complimentary one category stateroom upgrade (only applicable on QE2 voyages after 9 May 2006 - 2 January 2007 and Queen Mary 2 voyages from 7 January 2006 - 10 December 2006)

Celebrate in Style

To enjoy your Anniversary or Honeymoon benefits, all you need to do is advise your Cruise Sales Consultant at the time of booking and send in confirmation of your wedding date (via a copy of your marriage certificate, for example). To be eligible for your benefit, your Anniversary or Honeymoon must fall within three months of your voyage date. "

So this makes it sound as though your father and bride should get the upgrade (although I don't know if you mentioned this at time of booking? Bit harsh if Cunard deny them the benefits on those grounds though).

My parents will be celebrating their anniversary in May 2007 and have been told that while the upgrage will no longer apply the champagne, flowers, card and photograph all will. They were told though that because their booking is for next year (June) their anniversay will need to fall within 2 months of the sailing date not 3 (luckily it does!)

I hope this is the same for US passengers - certainly worth a phone call.

Good luck!

Archived