Are We Passing on Secrets..or creating abuses??

NJBear

Our first cruise is in October on the Sun. This board is becoming quite the valuable resource for my husband and me. We've looked at the Freestyle Dailies and menus for sure, but I think in our case it is because we are so excited about this and also so we get an idea of what sorts of things are going on... we aren't going to be dissappointed if the Scrabble match isn't exactly at 2pm on Wed or if we miss the specific meal on Thurs., etc. It's more like "oh, they do things like that" or "wow look at all the variety of food." It's not for micro-managing our vacation, just to know what things to expect from some of the more mysterious factors like embarkation, shore excursions, etc.

I would hope that casual lurkers or newbies like myself would realize that any special perks and the like are perhaps based on a relationship that experienced cruisers have built with a particular line over the years rather than an automatic entitlement. I am grateful for this site since I can find out great information, and yes even some "tips" to make things go smoothly for ourselves. So thanks everyone! :D

I agree...

these boards/posts were invaluable for our first cruise.

I had no idea what to expect!

If people take more than advantage of the tips/advice here(so be it...such is life)!

Too many to mention but...Shoreguy, Cecilia, Smeyer, Keystone, Nmex, Ann...helped us soooo much!

I think that we accomplish more good than harm here.

Relax and enjoy every day...that's what the cruise is all about:)

I don't understand someone that wants to see a Freestyle Daily from a past cruise. Do you really need to plan that much in advance? Or see menus for all the restaurants? .

It's not an obcession or overplanning. It's part of the FUN getting ready for the cruise.

For many of us on these boards.

CC is much more of a blessing than a burden for newbies! And for seasoned cruisers, it is a chance to dispense your wisedom and enrich the experiences of the newbies. I try to dismiss negative posts since, we all can agree, there are always going to be people who are unsatisfied. And I have started using those posts as a process of elimination; dismissing what people have tried and be unsuccessful with and incorporating the bad news with the good. I don't see the harm in more OC passengers wanting to see official NCL literature. Can we all agree that the information on the NCL website, in their distribuited pamphlits or even brochures is far from satisfying; ESPECIALLY FOR THE INEXPERIENCED?

I am the person who spends hours shopping, comparing deals and using coupons. My bf will just run through the store grabbing things. That pretty much sums up our cruise packing methods as well. LOL. Believe me, I wish I could just go away with a tooth-brush and some clean underware. But I want decedance, romance, and above all, FUN! That requires some type of a plan for me. :)

On behalf of all of the newbies who have bothered to read and respond this far into the post, we sincerely apprechaite all of the information we have gained here!

Man, why can't any of you people be on my cruise?!?!?!? I have like 4 people so far on it and NO ONE is interested in posting on the roll call board! I think we would have a blast :( Saddness at missed opportunities

I remember our first cruise, it was on the Norway....all we could think about was ..wow..we are going on an Ocean Liner. We had no idea what to expect,

we ended up in the pokiest little cabin (inside), again we had no idea, we thought that everyone had a cabin like ours. It turned out to be one of the best, if not the best vacations we ever had, made some super friends who we still correspond with. I fully expected to see Cary Grand and Deborah Kerr leaning on a hand rail on one of those gorgeous Caribbean evenings.

Imagination is a huge part of any cruise, wouldn't you agree?

I now look forward to our next cruise, Nor.Jewel re-positioning Med/TransAtlantic in October, maybe we'll see Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in Rome.

Well said. While some planning is important, I've seen some postings that were in such detail (about what they expected to see/do on their cruise) that only the battle plans for Normandy were more specific. I try to make some of the "big" plans, but still be flexible enough to take on spur of the moment surprises that might come up.

jmo

-Monte

Wow Monte - you mean like have fun instead of waging a vacation "campaign"? I am a compusive researcher. I want to know everything about the ports of call but I try to have some ports with nothing at all planned so we can just do whatever we feel like that day or just lie on a beach.

Wow Monte - you mean like have fun instead of waging a vacation "campaign"? I am a compusive researcher. I want to know everything about the ports of call but I try to have some ports with nothing at all planned so we can just do whatever we feel like that day or just lie on a beach.

Zeno-are you my long lost sister? Again, we're thinking alike.

-Monte

So, some like to jump in uninformed, and some love to research, plan, and muse over the upcoming event till nothing is left to learn.;)

Both sound wonderful, and thank goodness, we have the option to be so completely different in our approach to cruising, just as everything else in our lives.

I loved seeing a menu posted on here prior to our first cruise, and a daily, as I had no clue, but it wasn't imperative - just pure fun, and not something I ever would have asked to see.

I truly appreciated the hints and clues - it added a bit to the anticipation of the cruise, and wondering exactly how some of the items mentioned could possible improve the cruise. We were selective with the myriad of choices given - or we would have had to leave clothing behind!

These boards are a valuable source of information and trivia for newbies, and oldies alike. We just keep learning all of the time. Keep up the good work.:)

Over-preparing for a cruise? GUILTY as charged, I suppose.

We're weeks away from our first cruise (see sig). I've bought books, posted questions in forums like this one, spent endless hours on the net researching ports of call, etc.

Why? A few reasons

1. Because it's fun! Everyone is most certainly different, but for my wife and I, the build up of a nice vacation can be almost as much fun as the vacation itself. "Honey, check out the beach at this port". "Hey, look, they have a chocolate buffet on Thursday!".

2. Because I don't want to miss out on anything. I'm going to be setting foot on Kauai for the first time in my life. I have a little more than 24 hours to see stuff. 6-8 of those hours will be sleeping time. Would I be more interested in the Canyon, or the Fern Grotto? What about a nice drive up the north east highway? Even though I'm over 40, I've come to rely heavily on the internet.

Now, this might all be because I am a first timer. But, I hope the excitement never dies down for future cruises.

Let's get this straight:

Being fully informed is not over planning. Overplanning is when you make an itinary for yourself in such detail that you don't leave any chance for spontaneous FUN. I've seen some (especially on the Alaska board) that honestly account for just about every minute of the cruise. If you know in advance that on Tuesday at 8:15-8:19 you'll be using the deck 8 forward restroom-that's overplanning. If you know that at 9 you're going on a glacier excursion, that's fine.

;)

jmo

-Monte

One of the more interesting (to me) things which I learned from these boards is the fact that if you book a tour through the cruise-line, and are delayed for any reason, they will wait for you.

If you book it from other sources, they will not wait, and you are responsible for your own means of either meeting up with the ship at the next port, or flight back home, or any other alternatives.

May not be a secret, but it sure was an enlightening bit of information.

Let's get this straight:

Being fully informed is not over planning. Overplanning is when you make an itinary for yourself in such detail that you don't leave any chance for spontaneous FUN. I've seen some (especially on the Alaska board) that honestly account for just about every minute of the cruise. If you know in advance that on Tuesday at 8:15-8:19 you'll be using the deck 8 forward restroom-that's overplanning. If you know that at 9 you're going on a glacier excursion, that's fine.

;)

jmo

-Monte

I have to agree. Well I don't have to but I do anyway:D

None of us would be here if we did not want to be informed. I usually have a high level plan before I go, key excursions booked, and it always changes as the days onboard unfold.

I have to say I feel a bit insulted being called uninformed. :( I'm quite informed for my cruises. I know about the ports. I know what excursions I want to do. I know when boarding is and how long I have in each port. It's not being uninformed if I don't know what's for dinner every night in every restaurant because I've tracked down menus months ahead of time. I'm not uninformed because I don't know 7 weeks early what night the talent show it. I'm on vacation and those details aren't something I need to know ahead of time. If there are people that need that...more power to them. I only hope those same people don't get upset if something changes before they board.

This board is amazing for new cruisers because you learn a lot of details like things you should bring. Example...alarm clock and power strip. Very good information to have. And it's good for seasoned cruisers to share their knowledge. I just happen to think that menus and showtimes and wine lists are something I can see onboard.

This board is amazing for new cruisers because you learn a lot of details like things you should bring. Example...alarm clock and power strip..

Cecilia, you're breakin' my heart

You're shakin' my confidence daily

I understand the power strip, but I'm confused why anyone needs an alarm clock on a cruise ;)

Oh I remember, that's to remind ya when the dining room opens!

-Monte

Cecilia, you're breakin' my heart

You're shakin' my confidence daily

I understand the power strip, but I'm confused why anyone needs an alarm clock on a cruise ;)

Oh I remember, that's to remind ya when the dining room opens!

-Monte

Now see, that is just exactly one of the differences which need to be addressed.

We didn't need a power strip, although from what I had read on CC, I surely would, and should not leave home without it - We didn't, but brought it back home in the plastic just as from the store.

We don't take a laptop, a coffee pot, or a hair dryer or any of the other electrical items mentioned on different threads as necessities. :eek:

We found the one outlet to be sufficient. Just had to plug the digital camera in once to recharge the battery.

The alarm clock is in my head, but I do like to see those dancing numbers on the face of a battery clock when I awaken - regardless what hour that may be.

A clock is a good thing for many other timings other than waking up!:)

Have to say it - I agree with the original post as what was mentioned DID happen. So saying I will NOT post secrets that I want to keep. Unfortunate but true. A few secrets we only tell a select few on a cruise if we feel it will help them but mainly keep it to ourselves. Unfortunately things do get abused. I love to talk and speak out about tips but I think I will just listen to others tell their secrets... :D :rolleyes: :eek: Debbie

I understand the power strip, but I'm confused why anyone needs an alarm clock on a cruise
Without an alarm clock I sleep til noon on cruises. Of course, I have a baby now. That's the most reliable alarm clock around. ;)

As for the power strip...I need it. I have a hairdryer, curling iron, flat iron, hot rollers and digital camera battery charger. It's tough work being a girl! :eek:

I keep the secrets to myself. While some general knowledge is good to share; the really good secrets are only secrets if you don't share them. :)

I have a hairdryer, curling iron, flat iron, hot rollers and digital camera battery charger. It's tough work being a girl!

:)

You better watch out there Cecilia; your going to hurt yourself. Sounds like you dry your hair, curl it with the curling iron, straighten it out, then curl it again with hot rollers. :eek: ;)

You know some tricks this old gal hasn't learned yet!

Just teasing, and hopefully you understand my silly sense of humor better than some will.:) :) (I'm fortunate to be one of the wash and wear type in that regard.)

Without an alarm clock I sleep til noon on cruises. Of course, I have a baby now. That's the most reliable alarm clock around. ;)

As for the power strip...I need it. I have a hairdryer, curling iron, flat iron, hot rollers and digital camera battery charger. It's tough work being a girl! :eek:

I keep the secrets to myself. While some general knowledge is good to share; the really good secrets are only secrets if you don't share them. :)

I thought ironing was a no-no in cabins because of the fire risk

Remember the good old days when we relied on those smart people called travel agents to give us those tips and tricks?? ;)

Funny thing is now I think I am better informed about cruising than our TA. I research the heck out of particular ship or itinerary (especially with the help of cruise critics) and then call the TA to make the booking. She doesn't have to do any selling because I know what I want. I want to be loyal in giving her the business because she always comes through with the lowest price, but I am amazed at how much information I am giving her about a ship or port of call.

Thanks everyone!

Archived