Are We Passing on Secrets..or creating abuses??

NJBear

Remember the good old days when we relied on those smart people called travel agents to give us those tips and tricks?? ;)

LOL im sure some still do the problem with that is if they have never been on that cruise its of no help at least on CC you can get advice based on other cruisers experiences but that does not mean it will be in any way the same for you;) So keep the tips coming!

for the life of me, I can't figure out where people are getting this idea. Especially since many other cruise lines also have "extra pay specialty dining".

Well, what I have been reading is that with NCL's Freestyle concept, they offer the most pay restaurants than any other line, thus resulting in lesser quality food in the "free" venues.

Don`t underestimate the influence of Cruise Critic......good and bad;)
I don't. However, without concrete evidence, I'm hesitant to say CC has any effect. But if you were specifically told that NCL stopped accepting Wellwishers deliveries because of abuse by CC members then that confirms what many of us thought was true. Are you ware of other impacts? I'd love to know. Maybe I'll suggest to the admin that they do a story on that for the news page of this site.

Nita...I say 2 or 3% overall. That includes Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. that has a much bigger cast of regulars and dozens of member cruises a year. Maybe it is closer to 1%? I was only guessing.

Well, what I have been reading is that with NCL's Freestyle concept, they offer the most pay restaurants than any other line, thus resulting in lesser quality food in the "free" venues.

That's interesting as I have cruised on the NCL RC and Celebrity and the meals in the included dining rooms were pretty much the same(with an edge to NCL until they changed the menu). The paid venues are so small that only a faction of the people ever eat there. Its true they offer more choice but there is also one or two of the reserved restuarants that are also free...

maybe people think the food you pay for is better...

I'm not even talking quality. Some, and it seems to be a growing number, are under the impression there are NO "free" venues, (other than possiblity of the buffet).

-Monte

Hi Donna

I'm seeing more & more complaints on the boards about how you can't eat on NCL without paying extra, and for the life of me, I can't figure out where people are getting this idea. Especially since many other cruise lines also have "extra pay specialty dining".

Guess I just missed something (or could it be some TA's are telling this to their clients? non on this board of course)

-Monte

Its great marketing by NCL look at the word specialty everyone wants to feel special or go someplace special and my husband better take me there i dont care what it cost lol

Hi,

...............I agree with the original poster that we need to keep some of these secrets to ourselves and only let "worthy" people in on our hard found wisdom!!!

Donna

:eek: :eek: EEPS!! I didn't say or mean that at all!! LOL...This was just a discussion thread for some feedback LOL:eek: :eek: :eek:

I am new to the boards. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in November on the Dream (11/4/06). I found this site by a popular search engine. I was looking for reviews on ships. After reading more and more info on this website. I found it to be great! Like I said it is our first cruise and I don't know when we will be able to take another one in our lifetime. So I want to make the best of it and with all these boards it is helping us alot...I mean alot! What to bring, what to do etc.... I thought the purpose of this site was to give out some of those secrets, so other people can enjoy the cruise too. Plus with the private excursions you rave about is generating business for them. In most of these countries they need that especially after the hurricanes. All I am really saying is "THANK YOU".... This site has made me very excited about going too!!!! With all your tips....its going to be great...

Starrluna

Posters on this site or other cruise site need only reveal secrets, complaints and abuse they are willing to put up with "just to be cruising "to just one single person. That is the person any smart marketing department has monitoring all of these sites.

Every cruise company has such a person and they in turn report to the higher ups with all sorts of information on how to stop abuses that cost them money. Just how much they can cut services before the passengers rebel etc.

The one I worry about more than any is how much abuse passengers seem to be willing to put up with from the various cruise lines in the name of "just being on a cruise." it is very tempting for the lines to keep saving money by eliminating items that people keep saying are not important.

That is where one might just think about next time folks jump all over someone who posts a ligitimate complaint.

Interesting post and a great read.

Yes, we are all a little excessive compulsive ;) but all in all I too agree that the information on these boards greatly enhances our vacations and offers piece of mind to those of us who do not travel extensively.

Do the details get out of hand? Yes, and I have to admit I never have felt the need to pack duct tape, power strips, magnets or a shoe organizer and have done just fine!!! lol

What I love most is the information on what to do on port days to make the most of my time in places I may never have the chance to visit again.

So keep it comin' the good, bad and the excessive!!!

I am enjoying this thread very much. I also think that information overload is maybe not a good thing. We took our first cruise long before we had internet access and we did just fine. In fact, the whole experience was magical and the anticiation of the unknown was the most exciting thing of all.

We had no idea how many square feet our cabin was, when the restaurants were open or who the entertainers on the cruise would be. All of these things were fun to figure out once we got on board. We had nothing planned....just went with the flow. We were amazed how long and luxorious the dinners were despite the fact that thousands of passengers were being served at the same time.

I makes me crazy to hear people now ask how many minutes it took to eat dinner (you are on vacation...relax and enjoy), how big is the balcony (just be thankful you can afford a balcony), what channels are on the TV (who watches TV while on a cruise??), and how big are the juice glasses in the buffet..(just get up and get another glass of juice if you want it)....whew.

I could go on forever. I agree that the complainers have a louder voice on this forum. I believe MOST of them (I agree..some are legit) went into the cruise experience with too much trivial information and focused on these very minor details, rather than the whole picture.

Vacation is NOT a time for minute to minute planning. It is a time to relax and unwind. Leave all the lists of "tips" at home and go and just have fun.

I agree that the complainers have a louder voice on this forum. I believe MOST of them (I agree..some are legit) went into the cruise experience with too much trivial information and focused on these very minor details, rather than the whole picture. QUOTE]

I agree with you here. It is always so upsetting to see the complainer post, then immediately, those from NCL, or any other cruise line are immediately called loyalist, supporters, etc. of the cruise line, when all they are trying to do is get to the nitty-gritty of the problem. Then, the subject matter gets completely lost in the he-said, she-said.

As for this thread, it is wonderful, and a great read.

We did take a very small roll of duct tape along on our cruise, and needed it to keep a closet door closed during a little rocking of the ship.

We did not take many of the other suggested items on the must have list. A night light was wonderful in our inside cabin.

A travelers clock is nice - one which you can read in the dark, and a good book to read on sea days.

A good sense of humor, and the desire to have a wonderful vacation is always a great thing to bring along too.

Vacation is NOT a time for minute to minute planning. It is a time to relax and unwind. Leave all the lists of "tips" at home and go and just have fun.

Well said. While some planning is important, I've seen some postings that were in such detail (about what they expected to see/do on their cruise) that only the battle plans for Normandy were more specific. I try to make some of the "big" plans, but still be flexible enough to take on spur of the moment surprises that might come up.

jmo

-Monte

... how big is the balcony (just be thankful you can afford a balcony), what channels are on the TV (who watches TV while on a cruise??)....

Be careful!! :D I love watching TV on my cruise. If I get a suite with a DVD player, I even bring some DVDs along to watch! I also love a good sized balcony, so this is important to me. :D

..... Vacation is NOT a time for minute to minute planning. It is a time to relax and unwind. Leave all the lists of "tips" at home and go and just have fun.

Kapoho2 -- I really enjoyed your post. ;) And, couldn't agree more. Your last comment (of which I quoted) reminded me of a posting/thread sometime ago from a few very, VERY detailed, organized individuals who I would presume probably brought a highlighter with them to outline the daily newsletter for the activies they had planned each half-hour of the day and their daily planning agenda book. And, I'm NOT knocking thoose people ... it's okay, to me, if a person needs to do this because without being organized maybe they can't have fun. So plan on if need be!!! In fact and to be honest, I write a pack list before any extended vacation (and that's my only list). But as you can see, I'm fairly new to CC (since October 2005) with minimal posts and a "newbie" in the sense of cruising with only three under my belt and one in the works. And, since coming to CC, I've learned a few new "tricks" or "secrets" some of which I'll take with me on my next cruising adventure. And, I thank everyone at CC for that. But, this is certainly a great thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

:eek: :eek: EEPS!! I didn't say or mean that at all!! LOL...This was just a discussion thread for some feedback LOL:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi,

I think I understand the question you presented. I was happy to share some tips with positive people on board. I had met two notoriously negative complainers who were bad mouthing/trashing NCL because of their ignorance and so I have a fresh irritation (just got back on Sun) for people who are arrogantly ignorant and meanspirited. The information NCL presents really is easy to read and just requires a some reading comprehension.

I love those tips and just finished a 22 page review of the Sun written in gratitude to all the help I received on this board.

Donna

I don't. However, without concrete evidence, I'm hesitant to say CC has any effect. But if you were specifically told that NCL stopped accepting Wellwishers deliveries because of abuse by CC members then that confirms what many of us thought was true. Are you ware of other impacts? I'd love to know. Maybe I'll suggest to the admin that they do a story on that for the news page of this site.

Nita...I say 2 or 3% overall. That includes Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc. that has a much bigger cast of regulars and dozens of member cruises a year. Maybe it is closer to 1%? I was only guessing.

It might be, I don't know, as high as 4%, I just heard from someplace 1%. I do think CC helps some and certainly the cruise lines do read our remarks as they are a cross section of views regardless as to how many actually participate.

As for the wellwishers and CC abuses, I think I might question that one: I do understand they stopped allowing them bcause of abuse, but I would question whether this is due to CC or many other types of communication? NMNita

I am enjoying this thread very much. I also think that information overload is maybe not a good thing.
In my opinion, you've encapsulated everything I think about doing too much research for a cruise. While CC is a good thing for general information, I don't understand someone that wants to see a Freestyle Daily from a past cruise. Do you really need to plan that much in advance? Or see menus for all the restaurants? I could care less if I happen to miss lobster night because I ate in the wrong restaurant. Lobster isn't so elusive that I can't have it some other time. It almost feels like people are structuring everything about their vacation and they leave nothing up to chance and as we all know, anything can happen on a cruise and when it does, expectations are shattered and many people come home unhappy. I think the greatest downfall to CC is it can create unrealistic expectations. Again...just my opinion.

Only an addition...I love it when someone posts about they smuggle booze on board a ship, and a couple weeks later someone else says that doesn't work. I think I see a connection...

-Monte

That's why I am keeping my recent success with this a secret! I want to be able to do it again!!!

....... It almost feels like people are structuring everything about their vacation and they leave nothing up to chance .......

High 5 on that one!! To me FREESTYLE is just that..an unstructured, do what you want, when you want and where you want....and OMG!! EVEN on the spur of the moment:D

Keep in mind CC is not the only source. 1,000,000s plan travel on-line and a few 100,000 find there way here. No doubt the best cruise board but one of 100s. Many read and post here and many other places in cyberspace. The % of CC members on a rollcall is not an effective measure of the power of CC and the Internet. Heck half the people that just come here probably never find the roll call boards:rolleyes:

Do a Google search NCL + booze - 13,000 records found many from here most from other on-line sources. Upsell + NCL 1200 records. egg crate and NCL 3200 records

The fact is you don't have to come here to gain the "secrets" that can cause concern.

Great thread - no question CC and the Internet as a whole spread information that was once held very close by a few at the speed of light.

First cruise I went on I had a brochure and a ticket with no knowledge or expectations.

Great thread - no question CC and the Internet as a whole spread information that was once held very close by a few at the speed of light.

First cruise I went on I had a brochure and a ticket with no knowledge or expectations.

And I bet you had a great time!

-Monte

In my opinion, you've encapsulated everything I think about doing too much research for a cruise. While CC is a good thing for general information, I don't understand someone that wants to see a Freestyle Daily from a past cruise. Do you really need to plan that much in advance? Or see menus for all the restaurants? I could care less if I happen to miss lobster night because I ate in the wrong restaurant. Lobster isn't so elusive that I can't have it some other time. It almost feels like people are structuring everything about their vacation and they leave nothing up to chance and as we all know, anything can happen on a cruise and when it does, expectations are shattered and many people come home unhappy. I think the greatest downfall to CC is it can create unrealistic expectations. Again...just my opinion.

I could not agree more especially for an NCL board. Those that want that much structure, know where and when they are going to eat each night day one, and are not looking for flexibility then NCL should be their last choice.

I could not agree more especially for an NCL board. Those that want that much structure, know where and when they are going to eat each night day one, and are not looking for flexibility then NCL should be their last choice.

I agree..........people are taking the Free out of Freestyle:rolleyes: I do not understand why they insist on making all reservations the first day:confused:

This is not the point people..........go with the flow. On our 2 night RCI Freedom cruise, the second night we did not eat in the dining room:eek: Couldn`t take it. We wanted to go to a bar and watch the Latin Band then go and see the Jazz band.......dinner interfered:o

I, like many others here, have found a wealth of information posted on these boards. This October will be our first cruise and I will admit to being one of those that is attempting to research just about everything I can about the cruise line, the ports, the food, the entertainment and so on and so on and.... I just want this trip to be something special!

As far as making restaurant reservations goes, I recall reading so many posts that "highly recommend" making reservations as soon as you get on the ship. Although I believe I know better, makes it sound like either you make reservations or you won't eat!!:D

BTW, what was that upsell number again????LOL:D

Archived