OK to give out stateroom number?

PaulfromPA

I've read conflicting advice about whether it is OK to give out one's stateroom number to other passengers. On the one hand, as a solo traveler, I want to make friends. This means having a way to stay in touch during the cruise. Indeed, one advice column suggested providing one's stateroom number to folks one meets at meals, in the lounge, etc. On the other hand, some folks say this is not safe to do. So, I am wondering: Is it safe to provide one's stateroom number to a new acquaintance? If not, what is the best way to keep in touch with other passengers one wants to meet up with later? :confused:

I would suggest that you use the same caution that you would use at home, especially since you are travelling solo.

Our experience is that cruising is safe. We have met many nice folks that we keep in touch with through the boards and emails.

Having said that, stuff happens. Don't let the fact that you are on a cruise and having the time of your life cause you to stop exercising caution when needed.

Charlie

I agree with all with above cautions.

One thing that I never considered possible, was when our tablemates, who had no knowledge of our cabin nunber, wanted to get in touch with us, they went to the purser's desk (I think) and had them call our room. That way they still had no knowledge of our room number, but were able to get in touch with us.

I agree with Sha. Like hotels, the desk won't give you the cabin number, but will call the cabin for you.

However, if your tablemates or other specifically ASK you for your cabin number, what do you do?;) Kinda a rock and hard place situation, y'know?

I'm also a female solo cruiser, and have never had that situation arise. Once, I wanted to get a small gift for a honeymoon couple at my table, but I wanted to get it to their cabin, not at the dining table, so I went to the purser's desk with the gift, and they had it delivered to the cabin. No charge, of course, and I thought that was nice.

I like the idea of going through the purser's desk. I suppose your tablemates could be offended if you don't want to disclose your cabin number, but surely the women in the group would "get" it if you just gave a general, "I'm on Deck 9" or "I'm in a lovely balcony cabin," or something vague like that.

Thanks for the replies everyone! In fact, you gave me an idea for a great comeback in case I am feeling "iffy" about a cabin number discussion. I can say something like "Gee, its funny we should be discussing this. I remember a discussion thread on CruiseCritics.com about this very subject. I read that the proper etiquette is to call through the purser's desk, or to meet at a designated place and time. Which of those options works best for you?" ;)

I suppose your tablemates could be offended if you don't want to disclose your cabin number.
Too bad. Just smile nicely, wink and say, "That's a biiiiig secret," and keep smiling. If they get testy, just say, "No offense, but I never give out my cabin number." It's nobody's business and, as cusyl said, you can always meet in one of the many public rooms.

When asked what stateroom we are in a always just say "verandah deck" and leave it at that, no one has ever questioned the answer.

that is what I do-I just say what deck I am on and type of cabin-that is it.

Last year when we were on Mariner of the Seas-I saw our table mates from our window,we had an atruim cabin and they were down on the promanade-later at dinner they asked if those cabins cost more then a reg. cabin and I told slighly above an inside cabin in price, but an oceanview or balcony was more-end of discussion.

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what harm could come from telling someone your cabin number. I was exchanging pictures with another passenger on a recent cruise and we wouod just leave the CD's on each other's doors. Now I'm not talking about giving the cabin number to someone who casually asks just out of curiosity and if I were a single young lady I certainly wouodn't give the cabin number to anyone, especialy crew. Other than that, though, what's the problem?

20 years ago, brother- in- law wrote his cabin number on his forehead one night with some "lipstick" from one of the gals they had met...so that when he got to drunk to get back to his cabin...someone would take pity on him and dump him in front of his door.

Now those were the days...

I'm trying to figure out what harm could come from telling someone your cabin number.

(a) Some chick or guy looking for a pick-up might come around, 'specially if you're single.

(b) Someone who doesn't like what you said earlier in the evening might want to express his displeasure, especially if he's drunk and disorderly.

© For gals, there are occasional slimeballs on ships who might stalk you.

(d) The bogeyman might get you.

What good can happen? --I just made this quote up.

(a) Some chick or guy looking for a pick-up might come around, 'specially if you're single.

(b) If you're in a higher category than those of us in steerage, you can say things like, "Oh, that's what I smell."

© The bogeyman's not that bad, if you're really desperate for some action.

If you are part of a CC group that meets on the ship, I do recommend that at that first meeting cabin numbers be given to the individual who organized the get together. The first time I was involved in setting up a meeting, we failed to do this and when we wanted to get the group together again, we had to have the purser's office contact the individuals with the information as to where and when we would meet again. Fortunately, the lovely ladies at the Front Office were gracious enough to do this for us.

(b) Someone who doesn't like what you said earlier in the evening might want to express his displeasure, especially if he's drunk and disorderly.

© For gals, there are occasional slimeballs on ships who might stalk you.

(d) The bogeyman might get you.

(b) If you're in a higher category than those of us in steerage, you can say things like, "Oh, that's what I smell."

© The bogeyman's not that bad, if you're really desperate for some action.

Yep like that 23 year old woman that disapeered off Rhapsody of the Seas back in 98. Before she disapeered she was seen partying big time with some of the crew band members.

One person claims he ran into her in a brothel in one of those little countries below Mexico-you know-somewhere in Central America and she told him she had been kidnapped and forced into prostitution.

Ofcourse the problem was not the cabin #-but the fact she got stinking drunk and trusted some jerks she had never met before-sort've like Natalie Holloway.

I travel solo. I have given out my room number at times but now don't. We had a meet and greet in which we decided to meet at the Martini bar between meals. so a bunch would meet there. Others I would run into (once literally, accident) at the theater or at the ppol. then we would meet for lunch in the Lido deck areas. I usually tell them I have a lower deck inside cabin. Most know there is only 4 inside H/C so it is still a guess. My B2B I have a nice JS but there is only two.

Archived