$10 per person per day activity fee???

I just noticed on a travel agency website (not the one I booked my cruise thru) that it says there is a $10 per person per day fee added to the stateroom charges. This is in ADDITION to tips. Is this correct? I know that a lot of the resorts add a "resort fee" but that is quoted with your daily room rate. This is news to me and I have just booked for 8 people. I did not know about this, my TA did not tell me about this, and if it is true, I feel duped by the cruise line.

I just noticed on a travel agency website (not the one I booked my cruise thru) that it says there is a $10 per person per day fee added to the stateroom charges. This is in ADDITION to tips. Is this correct? I know that a lot of the resorts add a "resort fee" but that is quoted with your daily room rate. This is news to me and I have just booked for 8 people. I did not know about this, my TA did not tell me about this, and if it is true, I feel duped by the cruise line.

The $10 per person is the tips, there are no other charges. NMNita

Another part of Freestyle, the fact that you do not have to run around with tip envelopes to tip people. The $10 per person per day handles that. It has been part of NCL for many years, so you shouldn't feel duped. It is their standard policy.

There is also a 15% service charge automatically added to all bar tabs.

Also, if you feel that someone has provided really great service, you are allowed to tip them additional since the $10 per day is spread out over most of the staff. Many people like to tip their room stewards. On my last Dawn cruise, I tipped a maitre'd who had been fantastic all week for us!

Also, what ship are you on? If it is one of the Pride ships (NCL-America), then the fee is somewhat different. What Nita and I are talking about are on the International ships. (Dawn, Star, Jewel, etc.)

(btw: Nita is a Travel agent and DOES know what she is talking about!)

We are on the Pride of America.

I have never minded tipping any of the crew on our 15+ cruises.

I have found that the waiters and cabin attendants are all eager to please and make my trips very memorable. I have never been on NCL before and the wording on the website I was looking at was unclear about the $10 fee. Frankly, I have absolutely no problem with them adding the tips automatically. I just thought the $10 fee I read about was in addition to the tips.

This is a family trip - in laws, outlaws, etc... and since I am "in charge" I have to explain all of this to the family.

The $10 per person is the tips, there are no other charges. NMNita

There should NOT be any other charges, but the original poster specifically said this was in ADDITION to the tips. Something is fishy here.

Either somebody is trying to get some money from him, or the wording and communication is not clear.

We are on the Pride of America.

I have never minded tipping any of the crew on our 15+ cruises.

I have found that the waiters and cabin attendants are all eager to please and make my trips very memorable. I have never been on NCL before and the wording on the website I was looking at was unclear about the $10 fee. Frankly, I have absolutely no problem with them adding the tips automatically. I just thought the $10 fee I read about was in addition to the tips.

This is a family trip - in laws, outlaws, etc... and since I am "in charge" I have to explain all of this to the family.

NCLA (Pride of ships) - $10 is in fact a resort fee and not tips. Unlike other lines the US crew is paid a decent hourly wage and overtime. That includes waiters, and cabin staff. A little extra cash tip to those that go the extra mile is in order. No expectation of 3 pp per day for this person or that person like other lines.

NCLA (Pride of ships) - $10 is in fact a resort fee and not tips. Unlike other lines the US crew is paid a decent hourly wage and overtime. That includes waiters, and cabin staff. A little extra cash tip to those that go the extra mile is in order. No expectation of 3 pp per day for this person or that person like other lines.

Shoreguy is correct. You did not specify that you were on NCLA when Nita answered your question.

No duping.......$10.00 pp per day on NCLA is the resort fee. You tip accordingly as per service on top of the resort fee:)

Ok - that answers the question.

I did not specify if was "NCLA" because, as I said, I have never cruised on NCL before and I did not know that NCLA is something else entirely. Apparently travel agents and past NCLA cruisers are aware there is a difference.

Does anyone know where on the http://www.ncl. com werbsite can I find the information that NCLA is a different corporate entity than NCL and that the $10 "resort fee" is added?

The price of the cruise is quoted per passenger by stateroom category but I have seen no mention that it is really an additional $70 pp for the 7 day cruise.

I do not have a problem tipping the crew. I do have a problem with NCLA bascially sneaking in an additional charge that amounts to a "resort fee". I have stayed at resorts that charge a similar fee but that extra charge was made clear up front along with the room rate.

Sorry, but my impression is that the 10 dollars per day is for tips. Unless someones goes above and beyond, I will not be doing any other tipping. That is how I feel about it. If the crew and staff has a problem with that, they can take it up with NCLA. (I will tip the bar staff 15% because I understand that is not included)

I will not consider it a "resort fee". I consider it as 10 dollars a day for tips.

I too was told it was a $10 tipping, not Resort fee. I am on the Pride of Aloha next month. Even when I sign in on the NCL site, it tells me this:

GRATUITIES

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL America or Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for service that is generally rendered to all guests.

Clearly, it indicates this policy applies to both NCL and NCLA.

I too was told it was a $10 tipping, not Resort fee. I am on the Pride of Aloha next month. Even when I sign in on the NCL site, it told me that the tipping is included (the $10 pp fee). I can't remember where I saw that, but it was certainly on the NCL site.

This is the first I've heard mention of "resort fee"

All I can tell you is the $10 on NCLA does not go into a tip pool it does go to cover paid leave for the crew that NCL crew do not get.

Keep in mind the US workers are paid far more then the international crew that is mostly dependent on tips for thier income.

No additional tipping "required" but here is the NCL.com laungage

GRATUITIES

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL America or Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for service that is generally rendered to all guests.

However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile", and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

All I can tell you is the $10 on NCLA does not go into a tip pool it does go to cover paid leave for the crew that NCL crew do not get.

Keep in mind the US workers are paid far more then the international crew that is mostly dependent on tips for thier income.

IMO, since they indicate that NCL and NCLA have the same policy for tipping, and the fact that they make mention of this $10 fee in the tipping section, the answer to the original question is: You will not be charged additional fees for tipping.

Let's not confuse the issue with semantics. :D

IMO, since they indicate that NCL and NCLA have the same policy for tipping, and the fact that they make mention of this $10 fee in the tipping section, the answer to the original question is: You will not be charged additional fees for tipping.

Let's not confuse the issue with semantics. :D

Not trying to but if you ask a crew member if they get a share of that $10 on NCLA the answer will be no.

I can also tell you even though it is not required the US workers are expecting to make some cash tips in order to hit the income "promised".

No there will be no envelopes. or additional tips added to your onboard account unless you add the 15% on bar tabs. It would be a good idea to bring a bunch of small bills if you want to reward anyone for going the extra mile.

Just sharing the facts as I understand them.

Just sharing the facts as I understand them.

Much appreciated. Having said all of this, I fully intend on tipping good service.

BTW, has anyone figured out a reasonable formula for tipping per towel animal?

ie, 2 towel animals = $5 extra at the end of the cruise? hehe. ;)

Much appreciated. Having said all of this, I fully intend on tipping good service.

I would think about $2 per animal would be about what is expected. LOL

Now, as for the $10 and what it is used for: it seems everyone has his/her own interpretation (spelling) on whether this is a tip or resort fee, regardless, no one will be charged $10 per day resort tax and $10 per day tips; What one decides to do about additional tips I can't answer. This will be up to each cruiser to decide. I haven't traveled on NCLA and probably will not as Hawaii isn't my favorite part of the country or world. NMnita

It bugs me when I hear people complaining about tips on a cruise ship (especially Europeans who don't believe in it)..Now, this is my rationale.. if you go to a fine restaurant...and you have three meals per day...is $10.00 too much?? If you can't afford the $10.00 then don't cruise... these people make their livings working at least on six month contracts for hours and hours on their feet in small living conditions.... It is not the "up front" people who don't have the opportunity to make $$ it is the people in the kitchen and in the laundry and everywhere else.. back stage so to speak... Then think of it this way....a waiter perhaps has three tables of say 30 people..tops.. so that is maybe $300.00 a week.... We have had and sadly it was a new NCL ship who shall remain nameless the worst service we have ever, ever had on any cruise ship... the Maitre de...was incredibly stupid.. It pained me to tip the waiter and bus boy (before pre-payig tips).. Yet.. we gladly and I repeat gladly give additional tips to those service people on a cruise ship.. If on our next cruise we find a waiter that we like.. we will request to stay at his table during the week..free style or not..

It bugs me when I hear people complaining about tips on a cruise ship (especially Europeans who don't believe in it)..Now, this is my rationale.. if you go to a fine restaurant...and you have three meals per day...is $10.00 too much?? If you can't afford the $10.00 then don't cruise... these people make their livings working at least on six month contracts for hours and hours on their feet in small living conditions.... It is not the "up front" people who don't have the opportunity to make $$ it is the people in the kitchen and in the laundry and everywhere else.. back stage so to speak... Then think of it this way....a waiter perhaps has three tables of say 30 people..tops.. so that is maybe $300.00 a week.... We have had and sadly it was a new NCL ship who shall remain nameless the worst service we have ever, ever had on any cruise ship... the Maitre de...was incredibly stupid.. It pained me to tip the waiter and bus boy (before pre-payig tips).. Yet.. we gladly and I repeat gladly give additional tips to those service people on a cruise ship.. If on our next cruise we find a waiter that we like.. we will request to stay at his table during the week..free style or not..
Parrotmom, what are you doing over here? You are supposed to be on that other board. LOL 'Good idea about asking to stay at the same table: I agree, I have figured out: being conservative (which I am about most things) Breakfast at Denny's: $15.00; tip would be, $2.50; lunch, along the way, at a resort or roadside diner: $20.00: tip; $3.00; dinner, 4 courses, mid range like "OUTBACK" without any alcohol or wine: $50.00; tip $7.50; total for the day (and remeber I am tipping 15% and being very conservative on the prices: $12.50 which is about $6.25 per person. This leaves less than $4.00 per day for all other tips. Why do people find $10 a day per person so outrageous? How many hotels give you both morning maid servie and nightly turndown with fresh ice, a mint, etc? Not to mention if you have any special requests, if you are staying at a hotel or resort you, most likely wouldn't even know you housekeeper so you couldn't ask for anything extra. If you do call housekeeping and request an extra pillow at a resort you would tip the person who delivered it an extra $1.00 or so. Well, I take that back, many would not. I know too many people that never leave a couple dollars for the housekeepers period. NMNita

If on our next cruise we find a waiter that we like.. we will request to stay at his table during the week..free style or not..

We did this on the NCL Wind last April. We had a head waiter and her assistant that we really liked and were seated in their section every night. We got to know them better and they knew our likes and dislike after a day or two. We had a great time. On the last day we tipped them extra and I was kind of caught off guard by how appreciative they were that we remembered them with something extra.

This "Resort Fee" has me puzzled. This thread is the first time that I have heard about it. I'm not sure how I feel about that. In a literal sense when I gave my credit card number to my TA and paid for my cruise, I'm paid. Now, NCL America is going to tack on another "Resort Fee", I'm not too sure about that.

Later,

John

This resort fee is confusing me. On any other cruiseline, if the service is not up to par one can always ask them to remove the tip that's automatically added.

Since on NCLA it's resort fee, what does that mean if we get bad service???? We can't get it back?

So it means workers on NCLA are not getting tips at all? Is that why all the bad reviews about service. There's just no incentive for them to work for their tip, because cruisers think the $10 is tips for the crews, but it's really not.

On NCLA ships, the crew is basically American and work under U.S. law including minimum wages etc. This "resort fee" is to help pay for their vacation time, according to what NCL told me. No further tipping is required although you may if you so wish.

It can not be deducted as it is not a tip.

I agree with the other posters that this should be an upfront charge as it is an extra fee and not considered a tip by NCLA.

FYI - You only pay $5 per day for a child.

If you are wondering if the Resort Fee is the Tip, why don't you call NCL and aske them? Why not go to the horse's mouth instead of asking the man on the street what someone else means by a "resort fee"?

The resort fee is in lieu of tips in general. However, no tip is automatically added to drinks so you must add you own tip to your drink tab. I always add tips to the drinks, and I tip in the diner and I tip room service. Other than that unless service is above an beyond, the resort fee covers it. I could be wrong, but when Ncl negotiated the American flagging and Hawaii product, it was a sticking point to add an automatic tip, because a tip should be optional. So, it was renamed to resort fee, just as many hotels have a mandatory resort fee. That was good enough to get the deal done for the powers that were offended by auto tipping. So, in short, your $10 a day is your tip, and you are free to supplement it to anyone that gave extra service. I have sailed on POA and POH and will sail POH Jan 1.

This is getting a little silly now. Who would consider tipping for making towel animals?:eek:

The resort fee is in lieu of tips in general. However, no tip is automatically added to drinks so you must add you own tip to your drink tab. I always add tips to the drinks, and I tip in the diner and I tip room service. Other than that unless service is above an beyond, the resort fee covers it. I could be wrong, but when Ncl negotiated the American flagging and Hawaii product, it was a sticking point to add an automatic tip, because a tip should be optional. So, it was renamed to resort fee, just as many hotels have a mandatory resort fee. That was good enough to get the deal done for the powers that were offended by auto tipping. So, in short, your $10 a day is your tip, and you are free to supplement it to anyone that gave extra service. I have sailed on POA and POH and will sail POH Jan 1.

So will we, are you in the roll call?

Archived