Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

Before our last cruise I bought a money folding origami book. I would give animal tips to our steward and other kind wait staff. Our steward was so impressed with the little dollar animals. I gave him the book and bought another for our next cruise.

Our last cruise we stopped off at a clinic and donated medical supplies that I had been collecting, Band-aids, toothbrushes,aspirin,Tylenol etc.

That's a cool idea!!!

• 2 months later...

This has been so informative.

I bring a book light that doubles as a night time run to the bathroom light to avoid waking my husband.

We bring two crossword puzzle books.

Also plastic hangers to hang laundry from line in shower. And other items mentioned above but learned alot of alternatives from everyone.

I've traveled 4x with DH in balcony rooms & 1x w a friend in an ocean view. I'll be going in Feb solo in an Interior Room.

[] Question:Is there anything different I should bring for an interior room?

[] Question: I've never seen anything about tipping up front? How does this work?

[] Question: I've never used room service. How does this work? And how much should one tip for this?

Thank you so much, Aislinn

I have always brought the over-the-door shoe holder, but sometimes I find it difficult to find a way to hang it. Some bathroom doors are ok, but some doors won't shut because the hooks prevent the door from closing all the way (too thick??). In those cases, I have also just hung it in the clothes closet, but you have to be more careful not to pop it off.

As I was reading this thread, I had the thought that I could probably get good enough adhesion by using duct tape to the metal surface on the top of the bathroom door, instead of fighting with the hooks. Maybe a little tape to the bottom would secure it so as to avoid having it swing side to side every time the door is used, too.

• 2 weeks later...

This may seem strange to others but when my children were younger we used to bring some paper coffee filters. I would just slip a few in a zippy bag and then in my purse. I would use them to wrap around tacos, hot dogs and such so the filling did not fall out and stain their clothing. In addition, they are really nifty for placing small amounts of chips, cookies and what not so the kids could have their individual servings handy. We use them at home on taco night, they work great.

:):)

This may seem strange to others but when my children were younger we used to bring some paper coffee filters. I would just slip a few in a zippy bag and then in my purse. I would use them to wrap around tacos, hot dogs and such so the filling did not fall out and stain their clothing. In addition, they are really nifty for placing small amounts of chips, cookies and what not so the kids could have their individual servings handy. We use them at home on taco night, they work great.

:):)

Wow, I just had to post to say that this is a FABULOUS idea! Our kids are long since grown, but I will definitely use this idea with our future grand children!

Thanks!! :D

My wife liked the over door shoe holder, for our last cruise. But she only wore about 3 different pairs of the 7 or 8 pairs of shoes she brought. One thing is we bought a set of luggage that came with all the different cases nestled inside each other sort of like one of those nestled dolls. For the three different rolling bags we nestled one empty one and so we had one complete extra for all the things we bought.

I brought a back pack with me to carry for my Canon 5D and every day I copied my memory card to my laptop. Extra Memory cards are nice. The other purpose of the back pack was so my wife didn't see her anniversary gift. I hid it under all my camera equipment.

One thing I always pack but never mentioned before is a medium sized funnel.

This I use to pour water or juice into empty bottles from glasses in the buffet. Some lines do not like you to fill bottles straight from the tap.

john

I like to bring some unusual US currency. We stock up some two dollar bills, dollar coins, some older 50 cent coins. One of my fun cruise memeories is giving dollar coins as payment in the straw markets, I wish I had video of the reactions.

I have read it is hard for crew members to spend two dollar bills. Not sure if it is true, but something to consider.

There are some really great ideas in here..

I know so far I am taking clothes pin and a line, air freshner, ginger pills (most people say it works better than dramine [sp]), under water camera and might pack along the clear plastic hanger for shoes and extra storage. And will prolly be bringing my water bottles to take water or tea to the cab in room

BTW does anyone know where the 'secret door' is on the Destiny?

:D

There are some really great ideas in here..

I know so far I am taking clothes pin and a line, air freshner, ginger pills (most people say it works better than dramine [sp]), under water camera and might pack along the clear plastic hanger for shoes and extra storage. And will prolly be bringing my water bottles to take water or tea to the cab in room

BTW does anyone know where the 'secret door' is on the Destiny?

:D

At the bottom of the secret stairs which I read you can find using the secret map. ;)

Many of us have grown accustomed to using our cell phones at a moments notice as well as "texting" each other multiple times a day. However, communication with other people in your family/group while on the ship can be a bit of a challenge (remember expensive cell phone "roaming" charges apply) and two-way radios can be a pain to keep up with (and dry) and don't always work due to the amount of steel that makes up a ship .

Our solution to this has been to bring TWO DRY ERASE BOARDS - one for inside the room and one to put on the outside of the door to the room. Typically, dry erase boards have magnetic strips on the back which makes them really easy to stick to the metal cabin doors (so far, all I have seen are metal cabin doors - RCC & Disney at least!). I am leaving for a cruise this weekend with 24 other "moms" from my son's school and I am bringing one dry erase board for each of the cabins plus a couple of extras for those that want to use one inside the room. Each dry erase board was $1 at the dollar store...what a bargain! Afterwards, we can either leave them for the next guest or take them with us. Great way to keep up with everybody!

I also bring a multi-prong outlet/adapter to make the most of the very few outlets in a cabin.

I love the idea about wrapping the tip money around a candy bar - will stock up on candy before I leave!

Did you steal the secret map from it's super secret hiding place? LOL.

Do all ships have a secret door??

I did indeed steal said 'secret' map!!! But you cannot tell anyone ;)

From what I've read, there are a lot of cruise lines that have a 'secret door'

I did indeed steal said 'secret' map!!! But you cannot tell anyone ;)

From what I've read, there are a lot of cruise lines that have a 'secret door'

I have been told that if you open a certain door you will find yourself in the brig.:rolleyes::o:eek::mad:

john

Don't know where to post this, so sorry if not appropriate here.

How do you let food service folks know that you have food allergies?

Thanks

Check with your head waiter, he should go through the menu with you and advise what might be best for you.

john

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, this worked out well. I mentioned this to the Asst. Maitre'd at the front desk the first afternoon after boarding and he looked at my card for my table and that evening the Hostess came by after my first meal and showed me the menu for the next day and asked me what I would like and they had it ready for me. She also asked for breakfast and for the days at sea, lunch. It was great.

Carnival Freedom Feb. 5, 2012 6 Nights

For all who bring duct tape - have you seen the new patterned stuff Michaels is carrying? I have a roll of hot pink zebra stripe to dress up my boring black suitcase for my cruise in a couple weeks - they won't get that bag mixed up! :D It also comes in all sort of sold colors and several different patterns.