Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

I have scanned a few pages of this list and feel that almost all of the stuff is extra junk that just adds weight and takes up space in your suitcase. Pack the minimum that you can get away with and not a lot of junk that you might need in an unlikely emergency.

This from one of the posts is a perfect example - "Our solution to this has been to bring TWO DRY ERASE BOARDS - one for inside the room and one to put on the outside of the door to the room. Typically, dry erase boards have magnetic strips on the back which makes them really easy to stick to the metal cabin doors (so far, all I have seen are metal cabin doors - RCC & Disney at least!). I am leaving for a cruise this weekend with 24 other "moms" from my son's school and I am bringing one dry erase board for each of the cabins plus a couple of extras for those that want to use one inside the room. Each dry erase board was $1 at the dollar store...what a bargain! Afterwards, we can either leave them for the next guest or take them with us. Great way to keep up with everybody!" A pad and a ball point pen works just as well, takes no space, and weighs nothing. If you feel a need to put notes outside your room - take a roll of scotch brand tape.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Thank you, this worked out well. I mentioned this to the Asst. Maitre'd at the front desk the first afternoon after boarding and he looked at my card for my table and that evening the Hostess came by after my first meal and showed me the menu for the next day and asked me what I would like and they had it ready for me. She also asked for breakfast and for the days at sea, lunch. It was great.

Carnival Freedom Feb. 5, 2012 6 Nights

Happy to be of service, it sounds as if you had a good cruise. :)

It goes to show that it does pay to ask on these boards.

john

I like the Calling Card idea, however I live in the sticks

and have no idea where to get them or which ones to

buy? I looked online, there are too many choices and

I've never used one, so really green & needing help :(

Edited by coats141

• 3 months later...
In addition to many of the items already posted, I always bring 'Super Glue". It can be a life saver. I had to repair my wife high heels when she broke a strap as we going out the door to dinner. 5 minutes later we back on track and went to dinner. If she would have had to change shoes, she would have had to change outfits, ect.. I would have been eating on the Lido Deck instead of the dining room.

Super glue is also great for paper cuts, hang nails, and small abrasions. WASH WELL, then apply glue and let dry. It will not sting, and then you can go on without worrying about it. No band-aid needed- which only gets wet and gross anyway if they are on the hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone mentioned these or not, but here are some:

Pack half your stuff in each others bag--in case one gets lost, you still have some clothes!

Piece of paper in each luggage piece with your name and stateroom number

Small box of corn flakes for snorkelling (to feed the fish)

A drink holder from a local fast food place--easy to refill and carry drinks for the family. This I felt worked really well!

A good sense of humor--for those pesky types who try to bring you down, plus the travel days--this is the most valuable thing to bring:rolleyes:

Edited by jimdicap
spelling error

• 1 month later...

Pre-address the white peel-off labels to send postcards from different ports. This eliminates having to bring the address book for everyone on your list. Just peel off their address sticker, put it on the post card and your done.

*** We also found a set of child's arm-band style water wiggles at our local Dollar store. Put them around your wine or liquor bottle then blow them up. We fly with our own wine in our checked luggage and will then use them to carry on our wine in our roll-behind suitcase to board the ship. We buy a bottle of Amarula at the ship's sale so they will do double duty for flying home.

:)

• 1 month later...

:D PACKING LIST

Purse/Back Pack:

Travel Pack - Originals see below. Keep with you!

Small bills for Porter gratuity at pier ($2 per bag in NYC)

$2 bills for special “little” tips

Pens, notepad, deck of cards

Carry On Bag: (Keep with u at all times)

Travel Pak - Photocopies see below.

Toiletries – see below

Bathing Suits, cover-ups, flip-flops/water shoes, hat or sun visor,

Sunglasses, eyeglasses/contact lenses & solution (pack the case too!)

Dinner appropriate change of clothing, jewelry

Pajamas, slippers

Camera, film, storage cards, batteries, recharging cords, underwater camera

iPod/MP3 & accessories, hand held games & accessories

Lightweight jacket or wind breaker, rain gear, umbrella

TRAVEL PAK: (personal document kit)

ORIGINALS - Make two photocopied sets. First set kept in Ziploc in your Carry-on-Bag. Second set kept at home with someone):

Cruise Documents

Forms of identification: Passport(s), Visa, Birth Certificate & Drivers License

Health Cards/Forms, Prescriptions

Travel Itinerary, Airline Tickets, Hotel Confirmations, Shore Excursion Confirmations, Travel Insurance/Baggage Loss Documents, Picture of all Luggage,

Travelers Checks & receipts, Credit Card & Numbers

Packing List

TOILETRIES

Prescription Medicines

First Aid Kit: Tylenol, Advil, Sea bands, sea sickness pills, Benadryl, throat lozenges, Antacids, Imodium, Waterproof Band-Aids, Butterfly Closures, Antiseptic Cream, Antibiotic Ointment, Moleskin.

Toothbrush, toothpaste & dental floss, mouthwash,

Shampoo & conditioner, Comb/brush, hair styling products, hair accessories

Soap, Moisturizers, Deodorant,

Sun screen, sunburn aids, Small insect repellent wipes,

Make-Up, Cologne & perfume,

Q-tips; cotton balls, baby powder, nail polish & remover wipes.

Clothes Pins, Plastic cable ties, duct tape, Clorox clean up wipes.

“CHECKED LUGGAGE ITEMS”

Razor, blades & hair removal products

Nail file; nail clippers; tweezers; small scissors

Beach bag, travel mugs with lids, candy & gum

Snorkel Equip.

Large & small Ziploc bags

Clothes pins, Small laundry detergent, collapsible mesh hamper, sewing kit

Binoculars, pocket-sized solar calculator,

Flash light/night light, small alarm clock, power strip/extension cord

Addresses & stamps, post-its; highlighters, envelope for receipts

Garment Bag (Use tissue paper in between delicates to reduce creasing)

Suitcase( Half of Matching Sets)

Suitcase (Other Half - Matching Sets)

this is an AWESOME list.

snip...

*** We also found a set of child's arm-band style water wiggles at our local Dollar store. Put them around your wine or liquor bottle then blow them up. We fly with our own wine in our checked luggage and will then use them to carry on our wine in our roll-behind suitcase to board the ship. We buy a bottle of Amarula at the ship's sale so they will do double duty for flying home.

Brilliant suggestion! Thanks

Sandy in Spain

Pre-address the white peel-off labels to send postcards from different ports. This eliminates having to bring the address book for everyone on your list. Just peel off their address sticker, put it on the post card ....

:)

Even easier...we have just started using an on-line post card service where you can send your own postcards using your own pictures. You add your message on back (like a regular postcard), actually sign it...send it. You need Internet access but a lot of the ports have free wifi. We have only recently used this (in USA) but are looking fwd to using it on our next cruise

No running around looking for postage, stamps, mailboxes etc.....which is sometimes challenging in some of the ports.

p.s. the postcard is actually mailed via snail mail to your recipient's address...you just order it on line!

Edited by cdncruzer
p.s.

• 2 weeks later...
Even easier...we have just started using an on-line post card service where you can send your own postcards using your own pictures. You add your message on back (like a regular postcard), actually sign it...send it. You need Internet access but a lot of the ports have free wifi. We have only recently used this (in USA) but are looking fwd to using it on our next cruise

So what's the URL???? This sounds great

There are a few.

Postcards on the run is the one I just sent after our Las Vegas trip but have not evaluated yet. (I should have sent one to myself...might try that yet). The delivery seemed long but it was sent to a Canadian address, therefore "international" which adds time.

It's a free app for iPads, android phones etc.

Canada Post also does one so I'm thinking your US post may offer same? (you can even create your own stamp!) You can search custom postcards and it should pop up.

Crazy technology huh?

• 2 weeks later...
Does the ginger only work for tummy issues or is it also good for dizziness? I've only done 1 cruise (just booked another) - I had no problems with my stomach, but was very dizzy/unbalanced for most of the cruise (and about 2 months after I got home). Would I be better off with ginger or bonine?

What did you find regarding the dizziness?

• 1 month later...
I gave the recommended $$ tips and more PLUS I got "souviners" from our hometown!!!!

Post cards, key chains, a picture of our town from the sky, ect.!!! Our steward came to me an hugged me with tears in his eyes!!! I also added a simple handwritten thank you on a note card and he said he loved it...that no one has ever done that for him and that he loved seeing my home as his was so far away and would be so long untill he went back!!! Now that was a nice feeling....he did so well and so much for us that week and all I did was write thank you and give him a picture!!!!! It still gives me goose bumps thinking of his warm genuine hug!!!

Just a thought that worked for me!!!

Great idea! I don't like giving out candy because of allergies and melting, but I think I might have to see if I can pick up some little gifts from our home town.

Thanks!

We bring a mesh bag, like the shoes bags, that my DW makes and hang it from the shower head arm. In it we put the small bottles of shampoos, the different soaps, rasors, etc. That way the counter is not cluttered and everything that gets wet drips dry through the mesh. We have used Walkie-Talkies on every cruise and even have a spare set for anyone that cruises with us. Really saved me, when I almost missed the ship in Halifax last year! I was not paying attention to the time and was the very, very last person to board that day. The gang plank had already been moved away, now that was close!

• 2 months later...

I've never cruised before. But before I fly I always poke around the house for a couple small toys my kids have outgrown. If I see a crying child or a parent struggling I give it to the mom or dad. Often it's enough to distract junior - if only for a few minutes. Anytime you can make a child smile you done good. And any parent understands the relief of knowing you have the support and understanding of fellow passengers. Good for the kid, good for the parent, good for fellow travelers in the vicinity, and good for helping to clean the toy clutter in your home. Some parents are candy averse but those little Dum Dum lollipops can also work wonders on a tot.

Spread love.

In view of a few of the negative events that happened recently, this is just a little twist on the "what to bring along" thread to start some discussion. Hopefully it's never necessary to use these items but it's always nice to be ready... just in case.

1) A lot of people bring along flashlights (or use their smart phone app), but those are mostly only good for a few hours of continuous use or maybe a day or so if used sparingly. Consider bringing along a small generator-based flashlight or two. If your batteries get low, you can crank for a minute or two and have useable light for a good while. I always toss two in the suitcase, Geico had a nice promotion a while back and gave a bunch away free, the ones I have are three LED and fit in the palm of your hand. It gets really dark below decks with no power....

2) Solar-powered small device & phone charger. Remember the recent pics of all the people clustered around the makeshift charging stations during Sandy? There's bunches of small solar power chargers on EBAY, find a friend that has a balcony room or a quiet slice of deck and let the sun recharge your phone or small USB device. If power's out on the ship except for a few outlets that everyone's fighting for, why throw yourself into the pack?

3) It's always really, really nice to know exactly where you are. Most smart phones nowdays have a GPS application built into them, if yours does make sure you know how to use it to obtain coordinate data that can be read to someone over a satellite phone. I always carry a small handheld Garmin Marine GPS in the bottom of the suitcase that gives exact coordinates in degrees, minutes, seconds in NAD27 format. Plus it's interesting to watch during quiet times on the cruise since you can see speed in knots, course plots and other things depending on what device you have.

4) FRS/GMRS portable radios to keep in touch with your group have been discussed to death on here and I won't go into those. However, most people don't realize Nextel also offers the same kind of feature on their newer model phones, and you don't even have to be an active subscriber to use it. It's called "Direct Talk" and gives you up to ten channels with 10 privacy codes per channel for unit to unit direct communications, no cell site needed. Yes, a deactivated phone will work as long as it has a SIM card in place. Range is also pretty good, and it's more private then FRS. It's been used in disaster communications for years. Since Nextel's being phased out, these phones are very available on the cheap. Grab a pair or two along with some spare batteries.

Anyone else have ideas along these lines?

• 1 month later...