Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE the idea of bringing a souvenir from home for the cabin steward. We live just south of NYC, and I will ask my DH to pick up a few of those 3/$10 t-shirts to give away. And the candy idea is awesome...It only makes for a more pleasant experience when we "pass it along". Instead of clothes pins, I bring mini chip clips. Because they have a wider grip, they doesn't leave a mark on your clothing!:)

• Like 1

I took the dollar bills, the candy bar and did a little Print Shop magic and created a label (shipping label size...6 t a page) thank you with a ship and my DH's name and my name too. (the quote says, "thank you for helping to make our cruise a memorable experience") Put all of this in a cello bag and stapled them shut. I made 18 of them. Now I have plenty of little "goodie bags" to give to all of those that deliver a service to us during our cruise. And doesn't EVERYONE love a little goodie bag! Have fun, get creative, and make those that brighten your day happier! :)

• Like 1

:) Still coming up with ideas! We always bring out favorite plastic travel mugs in our luggage to use on board for coffee, drinks, or soda! Also good idea is the powdered/travel size propel fitness water/or now they have gatorade, just mix with water! Really good for those hot island days, to beat dehydration! We also bring trinkets for the employees, they love small purses, barbie dolls, hair doo-dads, and card games. They usually send these home to their families! Bags of licorice are always a hit as well. I also save the plastic water bottles from the airport, and fill and keep them in the cabin fridge for island days. The water on the ship is extremely safe to drink, so don't worry!!! Happy Sailing!!!!!!!

• Like 1

To remember what we have done each day of our vacation, we purchase a postcard from the main location of the day. It it's an airport, then so be it. On the back we write the activities of the day. It's a quick way to journal. If there is more than one highlight of the day, purchase a card for each and write your memory. This was great for us in England/Scotland and the 2 weeks we traveled with our son's club soccer team. So many memories.

• Like 1

Super Glue! A new small bottle will fix anything the duct tape can't. Had a suitcase handle come apart at the rivets, super glued the handle back together and even the lugage gorillars couldn't undo it. Really fixes all the small stuff, sun glasses, small toys and in a real pinch will close a nasty cut.:eek:

• Like 1

For our Alaska cruise, I bought disposable handwarmers at Home Depot, the kind sold in little foil packs. They don't take up any room and can sit in your pockets till needed. When you open them, they activate and last for hours. We were grateful to have them when cruising the Hubbard Glacier on a very cold and wet day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Super Glue! A new small bottle will fix anything the duct tape can't. Had a suitcase handle come apart at the rivets, super glued the handle back together and even the lugage gorillars couldn't undo it. Really fixes all the small stuff, sun glasses, small toys and in a real pinch will close a nasty cut.:eek:

It will also put your crown back on, just dry the crown and the tooth with tissue before glueing. First hand knowledge!

To remember what we have done each day of our vacation, we purchase a postcard from the main location of the day. It it's an airport, then so be it. On the back we write the activities of the day. It's a quick way to journal. If there is more than one highlight of the day, purchase a card for each and write your memory. This was great for us in England/Scotland and the 2 weeks we traveled with our son's club soccer team. So many memories.

Great idea. So quick and easy. :D

• 1 month later...
I need some sugesstions on clever things to bring with me. I read somewhere to bring a shoe bag that hangs over the door to put in your sunglasses, tickets, chapstick, all those things you don't remember where you put them. Great Idea. Anyone else have really clever ideas? :rolleyes:

post 'ems

hi-liters

• 2 weeks later...

I love to decorate the room myself!

I have the battery operated candles that you can click on when you come back to your cabin (NO REAL FLAME!!!) and make the room pretty. I also have silk rose petals that can be put on the bed. I also take my plastic "bud" vases that have a suction cup on them so I can attach them to either the bathroom mirror or the vanity mirror because DH loves to suprise me w/ a rose or two during the cruise!

• Like 1

I love to decorate the room myself!

I have the battery operated candles that you can click on when you come back to your cabin (NO REAL FLAME!!!) and make the room pretty. I also have silk rose petals that can be put on the bed. I also take my plastic "bud" vases that have a suction cup on them so I can attach them to either the bathroom mirror or the vanity mirror because DH loves to suprise me w/ a rose or two during the cruise!

I brought a couple of lavendar smelling flameless candles with me a coupld of weeks ago to Alaska and not only do they flicker like a real flame they both made the room smell great!

I, also, brought a huge, bright, fish windsock and hung it out on our aft balcony. It made it very easy to see which aft balcony was ours when we were in port. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We use the mesh laundry bags with handles (purchased from drug store cost is about $3.00) for our shopping excursions. Instead of trying to keep track of a bunch of little bags, you put them all in it. It is also great for a carry on when flying back with fragile souveniers. Just tie the handles together before going through x-ray machine. They are lightweight and can be folded to fit in a pocket or purse until ready to use. When I get back home after unloading them I fold them up and put them in the pocket of my luggage for our next trip.

I also make my own personal travel kit. Tweezers, nail clippers and emery board, clear nail polish (nylon runs), bandaids, anti-biotic ointment, rubber bands and a couple extra ziplock bags.

Last I bring some individual Crystal light packages for my bottled water. I don't like to drink just plain water. We also bring sports bottles to fill (tea or punch) before going to our room at night.

• Like 1

Since postcards are apt to get lost in the mail, I pre-address business size envelopes to friends and family with my printed labels. This way I can use up the entire space on the back of the postcard and pop it in the envelope and mail without worry. The additional postage is nominal.

Love all the ideas and will use a lot of them, particually like the phone card idea.

We always take a collapsable laundry hamper, takes no space in luggage, weighs nothing and keeps things neater. Once hamper is full we dump them into the XXlarge ziplock bags & put that bag immediately in our luggage which makes last night much simpler.

Linda

Rowdys: the gum thing is TRUE! I never thought of bringing my own (I don't chew gum much, but occasionally need a piece), and I remember paying way too much for a pack. So, that's just another thing to put in my already-overloaded-with-all-those-odd-ball-you-never-know-when-you-will-need-it-things-suitcase. But AHA!!! I brought an eyeglass repair kit onced and actually had to use it! I lost a nosepad, and the kit saved the day. And even odder than that is that another passenger had the same problem, so I fixed her glasses, too.

christine

• Like 1

Tazmanaf, loved your idea about these for the steward and wait staff.

We checked them out at WalMart this afternoon, and they all say "For calls originating from the U.S.," dial this 800#. Even the AT&T Worldwide card doesn't give any directions or # to call if you're initiating the call from outside the U.S. (which the ship's staff would be). Also, nowhere does it say how many minutes you get for your $10 or $25 card. And of course nobody in the store knows a thing. So we went to the AT&T store - same thing. They said to go online, but all I could find was about gophones and stuff.

Can anyone provide information on what kind you buy, where you get them, and respond to my wonderings about what if the call is being initiated from outside the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Tazmanaf, loved your idea about these for the steward and wait staff.

We checked them out at WalMart this afternoon, and they all say "For calls originating from the U.S.," dial this 800#. Even the AT&T Worldwide card doesn't give any directions or # to call if you're initiating the call from outside the U.S. (which the ship's staff would be). Also, nowhere does it say how many minutes you get for your $10 or $25 card. And of course nobody in the store knows a thing. So we went to the AT&T store - same thing. They said to go online, but all I could find was about gophones and stuff.

Can anyone provide information on what kind you buy, where you get them, and respond to my wonderings about what if the call is being initiated from outside the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know also. Anyone?

My husband and I are just starting to think about a cruise for our 10th anniversary...three years away but I am researching , researching, researching and this thread is WONDERFUL!! I took many notes to help.

Thank you all so much for your great ideas!!

Brenda:)

We tend to put our trousers and shirts/blouses in bin liners which stop the clothes rubbing and creasing. The bin liners are handy on the return journey to put the used clothes in. When at home the bags go straight to the washing machine.

carolanddean

• Like 1