Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

OK here's another one of our favorite discoveries - instead of packing our laundry in zip lock bags, we pack them in collapsible storage bags; when you express the air out of them, it is amazing how much space you save in your bags for all the stuff you just had to buy to take home.

We live in NYC, so we have access to all types of phone cards. But on our last trip, leaving out of San Juan, we bought phone cards there.

Now that airlines are charging for extra bags, you might consider shipping your laundry home - at the cheapest rate - who cares how long it takes;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are all great ideas. I've been a few cruises before but never thought of the personalized gifts to pass out. I am sailing again on Sept 6 and plan to spend this weekend getting gifts together to share with the ship's staff. Thanks for your help everyone! :D

• 4 months later...
Tazmanaf, loved your idea about these for the steward and wait staff.

We checked them out at WalMart this afternoon, and they all say "For calls originating from the U.S.," dial this 800#. Even the AT&T Worldwide card doesn't give any directions or # to call if you're initiating the call from outside the U.S. (which the ship's staff would be). Also, nowhere does it say how many minutes you get for your $10 or $25 card. And of course nobody in the store knows a thing. So we went to the AT&T store - same thing. They said to go online, but all I could find was about gophones and stuff.

Can anyone provide information on what kind you buy, where you get them, and respond to my wonderings about what if the call is being initiated from outside the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

The crew know the best deals for phone cards-it is much preferable that you tip them extra instead of giving them a card as extra, they come out ahead that way. If you want to do something more personable, buy thank you cards and write them a nice note and put your cash in that instead of the white business envelopes the ship provides.

I always go to WalMart before packing and pick up an assortment of the cheapo colorful floaties. Depending on what style you choose they range from about $ 1.00 to $2.00. My kids prefer the tube style whereas I prefer the lounge style. They are very compact for packing in your suitcase and I usually dispose of them on the ship before we disembark. This has saved us a lot of money in rentals at the various Caribbean beaches. They are cheap enough that I usually keep a stash of them in the garage for unexpected trips to the beach or an invitation to a friend's pool at home too.

• Like 1

The best thing I have come up with is an accordion file. We bought the check sized one, and I have labeled all the pockets. I keep passports, tickets, hotel information, rental car info, shore excursion info, etc. all in this nice little file.

AAAAAjouqzYAAAAAANUYZQ.jpg

I also take one of these collapsable hanging cubbies and use it in the closet for extra storage.

14705_PE097724_S3.jpg

I always take extention cords as DH and I both use a CPAP machine for sleeping. We have found that there is rarely an outlet near the bed, so the extension cord is very handy!

Mini tap lights are great...we keep them next to the bed, and they can be picked up and used as a flashlight as well.

Edited by debihen

These are some really good and sweet ideas. Most crew members have cell phones these days! So the phone card thing is a bit outdated. Remember they have so little space to call their own! They share cabins and have one little personal shelf. The thank you cards are a good idea, the candy is cute. These people rely on cash tips! They have very low saleries and send money home to their home countries to help out their family's...So even though you may find it cold and impersonal...Cash is what these people want and need. I like the idea of giving the small gifts to the little kids in port! Happy cruising to all of you! LPT:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

A door sign? What?

I've prepared on WORD, a sign that lists vertcally down the center of the 8.5 x 11 page destinations such as: formal dining, buffet, pool, gym, theater, kids club.

On the first day as we arrive in our room, I tape it to the back of our door and with a sharpee, draw an arrow for each destination showing WHICH DIRECTION we should turn when leaving our room to get to the desired destination.

It helps us get our bearings on those first couple of days as we learn the lay of the ship.

Sure saves a lot of, "now which way is the pool??"

• Like 1

Walmart rechargeable small fan, ($12) in april or later, it can get hot in your room. BEST thing I took last year on my cruise!!!!!!! Got to have a power outlet strip!!!! Look behind TV for extra room outlet. Large ziploc baggies fro cameras ect.....walmart underwater camera ($10) just buy one....great for sting ray excursions, or snorkeling...(hint, if snorkeling....turn camera towards yourself for a self photo while you are swimming...really cool!!!) Mirror marker paint (car sales paint at grocery store) for mirror love messages to spouse.....WAY COOL!!!

• Like 1

Ok...I made a list of ALL THE Stuff...and now there won't be any room for clothes. Ha ha ha. I thought I knew lots of the ideas, but I picked up some new ones. Wait until my husband sees my list. Oh, MY!

Things to bring....

Elastic cords for cruise card

flashlight

binoculars

post it notes

pencils

art stuff

detergent

clothes hamper

line and clothespins

bungee cords for balcony door

air freshener

small candy bars to hand out or gold dollars for tips

pre made address labels and return labels for post cards

tap light

windsock or special scarf

battery candles

eyeglass repair kit

lint roller

power strip

duct tape

extention cord

soft-sided cooler

travel alarm clock

rain ponchos

shoe bag

lysol wipes

highlighters

bottles for drinks

crystal light

ear plugs

sm blanket

magnet to trick balcony door

umbrella

prescription for glasses

zip ties

ginger pills

super glue

door decorations

balcony decorations

I think it will take so much time to unpack and organize that I won't have time to leave my cabin. The only thing I forgot was the kitchen sink!

:)

~Linda

Mummo - I keep most of this stuff "prepacked" in a carry on then transfer it to the suitcase when we're going on the cruise.

I did learn a few new ones though - super glue (I should know this one as I have crowns and caps:D), windsock and a small blanket. The blanket is a great idea. We spend alot of time on our balcony and DH gets cold easy so this will be perfect!

Sounds crazy but I went to a convience store in my departure port, and asked if I could buy some of their big gulp 44 oz drink cups (empty) and then took them on board. It is much easier to fill them up with ice tea then having to go back several times and fill those tiny lil cups thy give you. They are good for coffee and hot drinks too!

• Like 1