Barcelona Airport

Hello,

We'll be flying into Barcelona on our first trip to Europe in the fall and then it's cruise time! We would like some info on the airport in Barcelona. Size, service, getting a taxi to get into the city, any helpful hints?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Happy cruising to all!

We have flown into Barcelona for two cruises. Spent the night there before our cruises. Very large, easy to navigate airport. Very easy to get a taxi. Just walk outside the terminal, cross one little traffic lane and the taxi island is there. Tell them where you want to go. Couldn't be easier. Very friendly people. First time there, one of our suitcases didn't arrive with us. We went to the baggage claim, British Air, who knew exactly where the suitcase was and when to expect it at our hotel. It came exactly when promised. No problem with language whatsoever. You will love this cruise.

Great airport. Lots of shopping and a few restaurants. Great duty -free shop also. Very easy to get around and there really isn't any problem with the language either. Almost everyone speaks some english and I found that with a little spanish, a little english and a smile you can get around just fine.pj

Was just there a couple weeks ago. Just as the above posters said, it is a nice airport and everyone I encountered spoke english. Taxi's are plentiful. About 25-30Euro to the Ramblas area.

On our departure flight, we had coffee and pastries at one of the cafes. I, also, bought some last minutes goodies before leaving. Some areas have big screen TV's for the kids to watch cartoons.

Barcelona is a perfect place for you introduction to Europe. Its a very easy city to navigate on your own, English is widely spoken, menus everywhere are in multiple languages including English, and the Spanish are very friendly. There are also some nice day trips you can take out of the city. If you can spare a few pre-cruise days in Barcelona you will not be sorry.

Hank

I did NOT like Barcelona's airport at all. I've traveled internationally to England, Europe, and Asia and Barcelona's airport is on the bottom of my list.

Here's a rundown of why: Everyone on the my flight from Heathrow assumed that since we landed in Terminal A our luggage would go to Terminal A baggage claim. NOT! I exited from immigration and directly in front of me were automatic, secured doors to claim A. tip: Always check the screens because once you enter a claim area, you have entered a secured area- you can’t go back inside the terminal and you can’t exit the claim area without having to reenter the general terminal. In short: you have to go through security in order to go to baggage claim. After four attempts at (Mexican) Spanish and 40 minutes, I finally found WHERE to go. Claim B, waaaaay down at the opposite side of the airport from where my plane landed. Luckily most folks on my flight made the same mistake. They let 50+ passengers from my flight 'skip' to the front of the security line. Our luggage was later found in Terminal B, which is a bit of a walk. The cab line is directly outside and well labeled. The line moved quickly and we were ushered into a cab within 2 minutes. Our driver didn’t speak English, but we got to our destination, Hotel Regencia Colon. The taxi ride cost us 35 E (luggage and tip included).

On my return home, the lines at 7:20am at Barcelona airport were 2 hours long!! So be prepared for that!

Keep your eyes open!!

I did NOT like Barcelona's airport at all. I've traveled internationally to England, Europe, and Asia and Barcelona's airport is on the bottom of my list.

Here's a rundown of why: Everyone on the my flight from Heathrow assumed that since we landed in Terminal A our luggage would go to Terminal A baggage claim. NOT! I exited from immigration and directly in front of me were automatic, secured doors to claim A. tip: Always check the screens because once you enter a claim area, you have entered a secured area- you can’t go back inside the terminal and you can’t exit the claim area without having to reenter the general terminal. In short: you have to go through security in order to go to baggage claim. After four attempts at (Mexican) Spanish and 40 minutes, I finally found WHERE to go. Claim B, waaaaay down at the opposite side of the airport from where my plane landed. Luckily most folks on my flight made the same mistake. They let 50+ passengers from my flight 'skip' to the front of the security line. Our luggage was later found in Terminal B, which is a bit of a walk. The cab line is directly outside and well labeled. The line moved quickly and we were ushered into a cab within 2 minutes. Our driver didn’t speak English, but we got to our destination, Hotel Regencia Colon. The taxi ride cost us 35 E (luggage and tip included).

On my return home, the lines at 7:20am at Barcelona airport were 2 hours long!! So be prepared for that!

Keep your eyes open!!

Now I am completely confused and I may have a problem too . I am arriving at Terminal 2 next Friday . Will my luggage most likely be there or will I have to go to another terminal to get it ?

My daughter is coming in from Madrid 1 hour later and we agreed to meet at her arrival gate or at the "Horse Sculpture ". Will this be possible ?

Please someone answer because I don't want to lose my luggage AGAIN and most importantly or lose my daughter !!!

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to confuse you.

You'll have to check the screens before exiting the doors of the terminal/entering the baggage claim area. I, too, met a friend who was arriving from Paris 1 hour after my arrival. She landed in A (on Air France) and her luggage was in A. I landed in A (on British Airways), but my luggage was in B. The baggage claim is a secured area so once you exit that area (just like the terminal itself), you cannot reenter unless going through security with your airline ticket/ID. I had to wait for my friend outside the doors of the Baggage Claim A. Luckily, she figured this out and didn't wait around for me INSIDE the claim area. :D

To make a long story short: I landed in A, entered secured baggage claim A, no bags, talked to various airport workers, finally found my way, went to terminal B, stood in security line with 50 others from my flight, entered terminal B, allowed into secured B baggage claim. Got bags, walked ALL the way back to A with two rolling bags to wait for my friend. Whew! Now you know why I didn't like the airport.

Now I am completely confused and I may have a problem too . I am arriving at Terminal 2 next Friday . Will my luggage most likely be there or will I have to go to another terminal to get it ?

My daughter is coming in from Madrid 1 hour later and we agreed to meet at her arrival gate or at the "Horse Sculpture ". Will this be possible ?

Please someone answer because I don't want to lose my luggage AGAIN and most importantly or lose my daughter !!!

I concur with the poster who said to allow at least two hours to work your way around if you fly out through Barcelona's airport. Leave one of your party with the luggage - there are free carts to the right - and locate your check in desk using the large boards at each end. Some desks are in another area. Be sure you locate it. Then go back to get your party and luggage.

One other good thing to do too is to have your hotel name and address written down so that you can show your driver. Just in case there is a language barrier. We didn't have a problem with our driver at the airport but the taxi driver we caught at the pier after the cruise, misunderstood where we wanted to go. I didn't realize he misunderstood until he tried to drop us off at the wrong hotel. I then just showed him the info I had from our precruise stay and he then took us to the correct hotel. I should have showed him the paper as soon as we got in the cab but since we didn't have a problem with the taxi from the airport, I didn't even think of it.

That was about the only time we encountered any kind of language barrier. Almost everyone else in the restaurants, stores, etc. spoke some English.

Yes, although I love the airport as I said in previous post- you do have to allow more time for departures from that airport as check-in lines seem to be longer and slower than most airports. At least with British Air, they do. pj

We are on the August 6 Jewel cruise. We are flying on British Airways. Does anyone know if they have a seperate first class check in and security screening area. Our flight leaves at 7:25 am and I am trying to figure out how early we need to be there.

We are on the August 6 Jewel cruise. We are flying on British Airways. Does anyone know if they have a seperate first class check in and security screening area. Our flight leaves at 7:25 am and I am trying to figure out how early we need to be there.

checkin- yes

security-no

My wife and I lived in Barcelona for many years. The Barcelona airport is a huge improvement since the 1992 Olympics over what it used to be.

Just follow the signs and directions and you will be fine.

I think the confusion one of the other people experienced has to do with the fact that a flight landing in Barcelona from Paris is legally considered to be a domestic flight (Schengen area), while a flight landing in Barcelona from London is an international flight.

The flight landing from Paris does not go through any passport control or customs. The flight landing from London does go through passport control and customs, which is probably why the bags had to be picked up at a different location.

Barcelona airport is relatively small in comparison to the huge airports like Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Schipol, etc. It is about half the size of the Madrid airport.

So don't worry, just follow the signs and directions and you will be fine.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I think the confusion one of the other people experienced has to do with the fact that a flight landing in Barcelona from Paris is legally considered to be a domestic flight (Schengen area), while a flight landing in Barcelona from London is an international flight.

I'd like to know if we fly from LAX to Barcelona via Paris, I'm assuming we will have to clear customs at Charles de Gaulle.......Therefore, how much time should we give between the flights to ensure we don't miss the jump to Barcelona?

Someone said, "I think the confusion one of the other people experienced has to do with the fact that a flight landing in Barcelona from Paris is legally considered to be a domestic flight (Schengen area), while a flight landing in Barcelona from London is an international flight." I'm having a bit of a problem using the quote, I apologize........

I'd like to know if we fly from LAX to Barcelona via Paris, I'm assuming we will have to clear customs at Charles de Gaulle.......Therefore, how much time should we give between the flights to ensure we don't miss the jump to Barcelona

Hi.

Since Paris is your first entry into the Schengen area, that is where you go through passport control. How much time you need will depend on a lot of factors such as whether your connecting flight departs from the same terminal or from a different terminal. Check with your airline.

You don't clear "customs" in Paris. Your bags get checked directly through to Barcelona.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I wrote a very nice post today regarding the flights, but with all the problems with CC, I see it didn't post.

I don't know which airlines RCI uses, but they are charging $1289 pp for the flight.

I checked Travelocity and Orbitz (using 10/06 as a date since we are going in 10/07 and nothing is listed that far ahead). From LAX everything went to New York or Atlanta and then across the pond. The best fares were still about a grand.

I went to Air France's website and found LAX to Paris with a short layover and then on to Barcelona. The total fare was $876pp...

I know the fares will probably go up by next year, however based on these numbers we could reduce the costs by using Air France and booking our own flights by over $800.......That's significant.

Archived