What is the quality of the hairdryers in the staterooms?

I have very thick hair that takes quite a while to dry using a decent hair dryer. Am I better off bringing my own hair dryer along, or are the ones provided of good quality?

I hear ya!

I have thick hair that takes time to dry too - but the hairdryers provided worked just fine for me! I think they are 1600 which is pretty powerful. They are not like hotels where they are stuck on the wall - they are regular hand held dryers.

The only reason I will still bring mine is because it has a built in diffuser:)

I have very thick hair that takes quite a while to dry using a decent hair dryer. Am I better off bringing my own hair dryer along, or are the ones provided of good quality?

I didn't use the one in the stateroom only because I had read on these boards, that if your hair is more than an inch long (or thick like yours), bring your own, so I did. I think other more experienced cruisers will probably suggest you do the same.

Have a great cruise!!!!! And, good hair days! ;)

It depends on the dryer actually, I have had them be really lame but then last cruise, it was so powerful and got so hot it set off the smoke alarm in my cabin, which is right over the vanity area. You can ask housekeeping and they will bring you another one too but again you will not know if it is one of the sea breeze type or the desert wind storm type.

I still like to bring my own and I did for my Freedom June 4 sailing.. only problem was in the Hyatt it decided to die on me before I got on the ship... so I HAD to use the one in the stateroom.. it was 'okay' but still preferred mine and my hair is shoulder length and curly and thick... it was a pain to have to hold down the button and then on the last evening I had almost finished my hair and the thing died on me..I suspect it overheated and shut off... I tried it the morning before I left and it was working.

I have almost-shoulder length hair that is very thick and takes forever to dry. I always bring one of those small travel towels that absorb a lot of moisture and are quick drying. It definitely helps cut down on the drying time. But I will probably bring my own hairdryer next time, too. It is definitely tiring to have to hold down the button to keep the dryer on.

I always take mine and I have short but very thick hair. I put my dryer in my suitcase the night before thinking that I would just use the cabin dryer the last morning. I added a note to my cruise list, DO NOT pack hair dryer in suitcase the night before. I went home with a bad hair day on the plane:o Didn't kill me but heah I hate bad hair days.

I guess I may be the only one that doesn't mind using the ships hair dryers!!

We just got off the Sov/Seas and I used theirs the entire trip, never even took mine out of the bag! Worked like a charm!

I also have Thick...Curly... Long hair and it took no longer than usual to dry my hair. One word of advice, check the vent screen. This is what causes the dryers not to work well and will cause it to die or smoke!!

I highly recommend bringing yours, my fingers cramp up before my hair is half dry and lord knows it takes me long enought to get ready- ask my DH! Enjoy your trip.

I am guessing you had the dryer that you have to hold the button down to dry your hair.........I have never had one, but have read about them from other posters.

This must be why they mention bringing "Duck Tape" for the hair dryer. To hold down the button :D

It depends on the dryer actually, I have had them be really lame but then last cruise, it was so powerful and got so hot it set off the smoke alarm in my cabin, which is right over the vanity area. You can ask housekeeping and they will bring you another one too but again you will not know if it is one of the sea breeze type or the desert wind storm type.

That happened to me too! At first, I'm hearing this noise and can't figure out where its coming from. I open the cabin door, thinking its coming from there, but no, no noise there. Finally realized its our smoke alarm and concluded it must have been from drying my hair right there. It rang for about 10 minutes. The thing is...nobody even came to check out why the alarm was going off. That didn't make me feel very safe.

had a hairdryer in the drawer that was 1800 watts & no hold down button. I have mid back length hair and it was quite good drying it from soaking towel type to nice & long. Not sure if it was a Diamond perk or not but I have no complaints.

Archived