What time should we be at the pier to get on our ship?

My dh & I are first time cruisers, & we are sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston on Aug 6. I had been reading that we can get on around noon even though we don't set sail til 5 p.m. We were reading in our information booklet, though, & it said for the most convenience not to come until 2 p.m. I am getting conflicting info. What is best to do?

I can't give you an exact answer for the Rhapsody, but on the Navigator they said boarding time was 2 but we were able to get on at 12:30. You should remember, however, that you might end up waiting awhile depending how long disembarking takes. I would say get at the port sometime between 11:30 and Noon and you should be there in plenty of time.

The doors to the terminal don't open for check in until 1030am. Typically RCI begins boarding between 11am and Noon. My advise is to get there around 11am to avoid the lines.

I agree! Go early! We always do and are able to explore before the ship gets crowded. They also serve lunch in the Windjammer usually starting at 12:00... something the cruise docs don't tell you!

Enjoy your cruise. :)

We sailed the Rhapsody in December and got to the terminal at 10:30. There was already a lined formed. About 10:45 we went through the security checks and were checking in by 11:00. We had a jr. suite so we had priority check-in and boarding. We were on the ship by 11:45. Our cabin wasn't ready, but we were able to drop off our carry ons and head off to explore the ship and eat lunch.

Enjoy your cruise!!! We really enjoyed the Rhapsody!

We are cruising EOS in August and plan on getting there early too so we can enjoy lunch. But another idea, don't pack your bathing suit in your lugguage. I hear you can go out by the pool and enjoy that while waiting to depart.

Noticed you stayed in a JS...... and got priority embarkation.

We sail on the Voyager in December and have a JS.... but I thought that this didnt get priority only GS and above, or those with C&A 5+ cruise credits [platinum status?].

So whilst I am planning to get to miami terminal around 10.00/10.30 should I join the normal queue or try priority? I only have C&A 2 credits at moment!!!

Any other tips would be great.........

Thanks CaptData for that........ I thought I might, but then was told not, only GS and above......... didnt want to queue jump but on the other hand didnt want to miss any perks.

so for future information I will ask directly on these boards, speak to the people who know!!!

ruth1964

Ruth 1964: If you have a JS your luggage tags will say suite. Yes, you get early broading for this.

CaptData is correct Ruth! After you go through security check, there will be many RCL reps there to assist and point you in the right direction. After you have checked in, you will be taken to an area roped off where you will wait for the boarding call. It's the best thing! We waited maybe 15 minutes in the area and got to visiting with other cruisers, before we knew it, it was time to board!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

thanks ginag!

We sailed on the navigator last year using their flight and pre night hotel system [coming in from UK] and by the time we got to the terminal, it was about 11.30 and the queues were quite long - although we seemed to get up the escalator and through the security quickly, the actual queuing in the terminal hall was loud and packed.

Have to say that there were no real helpers around and it seemed a bit like following the leader........... still i dont mind being led if i can get on the ship....... checkin desk was quietly efficient and although it seemed like we had been waiting all afternoon [really only about 60 mins?!?] we were on the ship in no time it seemed....... dont think i would have liked to have got there any later though as the queues were really really long behind us by the time we got on board.

really cant wait to get there again!!!! this time we are coming in under our own steam, staying at the hampton inn blue lagoon pre cruise for the night and then plan to get a taxi to the dock...... presume all taxi drivers know which terminal is which for each ship?

thanks for help.

ruth1964

Ruth..You are very welcome....anything to help a fellow cruiser! The process should be as painless as possible!;)

Sounds like you have your trip all very well planned and under control. We are firm believers in arriving to our port a day early....so much easier that way. Normally, your cab driver will ask you which ship you are sailing on...no worries!!!!

thanks for the answers, especially about JS checkin....

and just for the record, we actually waited for 2 hours, not 1!!! my other half just reminded me........... see i was so excited about getting on the ship time just disappeared!!!!! funny, so did the 2 weeks holiday... all seems just a distant dream now.:D

ruth

Archived