Best land/sea package to Alaska

rickdeni

I know I saw a thread a while ago about this but the search feature just gave me a blank page. I am interesting in a combination land/sea package to Alaska next summer on a Princess ship. I have been on the Diamond and Sun but not the other ships. I need opinions. Thanks!

For the land portions, DO your homework. And understand fully what you are purchasing, a good portion do not. Go for as long as you can afford, avoid 5 days and under, a big portion of time is in transit, rather than at the destination. Meals are an added expense, budget 50% more than you do at home for a cushion. the highlight is Denali park, be aware of significant tour differences, The Tundra Wilderness tour in my opinion is a complete waste of time, only getting 16 miles into the park of the 90. You want only the Tundra Wilderness tour- IF You want wildlife and scenery, goes to mile 53.

I believe u should go to the Princess web site and/or get yourself a brochure and research where u want to go, what u want to see, where u want to stay, and for how long u want to go.

My opinion wud not necessarily satisfy your tastes.You're spending alot of time and money to go to "The Last Frontier",you need to make some decisions on your own. It is more than well worth it to go up there,You have to customize it.

Ciao,

I agree with Steve. There are so many options that it's hard to say which is best for any individual. My only recommendation for a land tour is to choose something that includes the train between Fairbanks and Denali, or better yet all the way to Anchorage if that is possible. Brochures are available as downloadable PDF files from the Princess web site.

I agree with Steve. There are so many options that it's hard to say which is best for any individual. My only recommendation for a land tour is to choose something that includes the train between Fairbanks and Denali, or better yet all the way to Anchorage if that is possible. Brochures are available as downloadable PDF files from the Princess web site.

If you take the train, be certain to have TIME. A great many cruisetours do not, you need at least 2 nights at Denali Park. This takes up a significant amount of transit time. I have ridden the Alaska RR many times, but the above, by far is not the best- which is the Anchorage/Seward segement, grossly superior.

Actually the Anchorage/Fairbanks run, just about parallels the Parks Highway, only a lot slower. But no opportunity to stop and see the sights. A negative of the railroad for a first time visitor. Be also aware, in the past few years, http://www.toursaver.com has had some great offers with their 2 night hotel and railroad coupon. Very good value, just add at least a Fish Creek Shuttle.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am a researcher by career (librarian) but I am not overly interested in this but my husband is and sometimes it is his turn. I had hoped to get some opinions and then do the research. I love cruises to warm places but am trying to show some interest for this. We are both retired so time is not an issue. I am willing to spend whatever it takes to make him happy.

On recommendation of some folks who have worked tours and at lodges etc. in Denali for years we are doing train one way to Denali and motor coach on the return. No one in our group wants to hassle with driving but that's just us and I realize others want the "total independence" of a car. We have found some excellent packages that include Tundra Wilderness or Roadhouse into Denali, rafting, jet boats etc., rail/coach transport and 4 night hotel (3 Denali area, 1 in Anchorage) for about $700-800 a person in early June which IMHO only is "perfect" for what all of us are looking for. You can add/delete activities and have free time as well in Denali area. We opted not to include Fairbanks so we'd have more time in Denali and Anchorage area but that too was personal choice..Two couples in our group opted for a cruisetour (personal choice) and we will be at one lodge the same night they are so it worked out wonderfully!

It seems like the only land tours anyone talks about are Denali and/or other parts of Alaska.

Last summer we did a Canadian Rockies Tour with our Alaska Cruise. It was wonderful. The Rockies are beautiful, our tour guide (Jeff Porter) was superb and we enjoyed it immensely.

So check other options that Princess has. We did and we're glad we did.

P.S. We saw lots of wildlife in the Rockies!!!!!!!!!!

Archived