NCL names new ship - will they soon steal from Celebrity

DocJohnB

Anybody else notice that the new build for NCL will be the Norwegian Jewel - this just after RCI's Jewel of the Sea.

That comes on the heel of the Norwegian Spirit - right after Carnival's Spirit.

I realize these names are not copyright protected, but does NCL have no original thinkers.

Makes me wonder when Celebrity launches their next new build if NCL will name their next one the same. :eek:

Just wondering!!!

Well, Princess has a Sun, Star and a Sea, just like NCL. Some of them named before, some after. Lets see:

Norwegian Infinity

Norwegian Mercury

Norwegian Century

Norwegian Milennium

Norwegian Summit

Nah, none of it sounds good. While we're at it, I'm weary of everyone naming their kids Morgan, Dylan, McKenzie, Ashley etc.... Kind of refreshing to hear of Apple and Coco.

If this is a real problem, I've gotta get off these boards.

Happy ks: Never said it was a problem. Merely a point for some discussion.

My point being NCL (and other lines) could show a little creativity in naming their ships.

Celebrity has and has had unique names for their ships. HAL is the same. Certainly with the unlimited possibilities for naming ships, one line does not have to copy anothers.

If this is a real problem, I've gotta get off these boards.

I said among other things, and we have cruised enough to see which cruise lines give us what we like and which ones don't. I know this could have caused a flame, not my intention, just MHO. :cool:

I have to agree with the first poster--when I read about Norwegian's new ship, the Jewel, in today's paper, my first thought was--the Jewel? Isn't that an RCL ship?

There are so many thousands of wonderful words in this world, NCL could have done a better job and come up with a really great name. Just my 2 cents.

Nothing new here, and nothing unique to NCL. Cruise lines have been taking each others' names for years.

NCL may have copied NORWEGIAN SPIRIT from Carnival but they copied that from SEABOURN SPIRIT (Seabourn of course being part of Carnival nowadays). And then there is the UK tour operator Thomson who have a THOMSON SPIRIT (ex NIEUW AMSTERDAM) which they presumably copied from Carnival (who ironically via HAL still own the ship). Thomson will soon take over NOORDAM and rename her THOMSON CELEBRATION - which is of course another Carnival name. Their next new ship after that will be Airtours' SUNBIRD (formerly RCI's SONG OF AMERICA) - I can't remember what they're calling her but it's another name that's uncannily similar to another line's (probably Carnival's) ships.

I'm sure there are more SPIRITs out there but I can't think of them at the moment.

JEWEL OF THE SEAS could arguably have been named after the now defunct Crown Cruise Line's CROWN JEWEL (now Star Cruises' SUPERSTAR GEMINI). And who knows, maybe they got that from someone else too!

I do have to admit that Celebrity's naming system is generally better than, say, NCL's and Princess' "SEA, SKY, SUN" names (which were also used by the late Royal Viking, and probably others), Royal Caribbean's "OF THE SEAS" names, and so on. However years ago someone pointed out to me that most Celebrity ships could have been named after cars. Chrysler had a Horizon, Buick a Century, Ford a Galaxie (sic), Mercury is its own marque, Millenia (sic) was a Mazda, Infiniti (sic) is an upscale Nissan, Summit was another Chrysler (a Dodge I think), and I'm sure there was a car called Constellation but I can't think of who had it. Zenith is the lone outcast, but that's a brand of television (theoretically American but now part of the Korean LG).

So how's that for originality :) ?

I have to agree with the first poster--when I read about Norwegian's new ship, the Jewel, in today's paper, my first thought was--the Jewel? Isn't that an RCL ship?

There are so many thousands of wonderful words in this world, NCL could have done a better job and come up with a really great name. Just my 2 cents.

Hello !

Well said, and I totally agree ! I saw that news yesterday, and I immediately thought to myself... "Wow... RCI's newest ship is named Jewel, and Norwegian has to go and take the same name ??? Isn't anyone creative over there ?"

I doubt RCI can do much about it, but I would think they are not very happy about it. Perhaps RCI should name their next ship something in Norwegian's fleet, as a retalliation of some sort.

Some ideas...(Keep in mind, I am not serious about this)

Dawn of the Seas

Dream of the Seas

Spirit of the Seas

Sea of the Seas (Yes I know......Doesn't make much sense !)

Star of the Seas

At any rate, I think a big yawn should go out to Norwegian for their lack of Creativity.

Regards,

Andy

Doug,

Maybe this is more to the point of my post. Of the hundreds of thousands of words that could be used for naming these ships, one would think that the corporate heads could show some originality in naming them.

But then there is not a lot of originality within the cruise industry. One gets an idea and the others jump on board immediately.

I would think a line would try to discover its' own unique style and name within that style. HAL has been doing it for what, a century?

Nothing new here, and nothing unique to NCL. Cruise lines have been taking each others' names for years.

Doc - Have you heard if they are going to use the same names for the decks on the NCL Jewel that RCI is using? :D

I have to think that NCL invested a couple of bucks for focus group research and decided that Jewel would help sell the product.

Ships name has never been a deciding point for our cruises.

OTOH I would think twice about boarding ships named:

• Titanic
  • Minnow
  • Pequod
  • Lusitania
  • Edmund Fitzgerald
  • Andrea Doria
  • Bismark

Archived