Question for those of you recently in Brugge

We will be docked on a Sunday. We have heard conflicting reports of the availability of shuttle service to the train station and train service into Brugge on a weekend. Has anybody been there on a weekend, and did you have any trouble using public transportation into Brugge on those days? Also, we have read on these boards that there is a shuttle service from the port to the train station. Was this provided by the cruise line, the train station, or the city? Was this shuttle service available on the weekend?

Thanks for your input and info,

Robert and Joe

What have the cruise line said they will do?

There are ways of getting to Brugge from Zeebrugge without spending money on a trip - and it is the trip that the line wants you to take.

I'm not sure how much a cab would be, but having paid some daft money to P & O this year, I doubt it would be any more expensive and certainly a lot nicer!

When we researched this last year we found the trains did not run from Zeebrugge to Brugge on the weekends. But there was another town nearby where you catch a train back and forth but you had to find a way to that train station and then back to the cruise ship. Check out the search feature on the Europe board for "brugge" and you should find several links with info.

Have a great next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LetMeGo
How would the transportation available be affected on a Sunday from Bruxelle (Brussel) to Brugge.....we dock in Brussel- but I would rather visit Brugge

I seriously doubt you would actually dock at Brussels, considering that there isn't even a river anymore... The closest you can get with sea is in Antwerp, whicch is still a 1/2 hour train ride away from Brussels, and more than an hour from Brugge... :confused: The trains seem to leave every 15 minutes or so from both places (and you usually have to change trains from Antwerp).

Guest LetMeGo
When we researched this last year we found the trains did not run from Zeebrugge to Brugge on the weekends. But there was another town nearby where you catch a train back and forth but you had to find a way to that train station and then back to the cruise ship. Check out the search feature on the Europe board for "brugge" and you should find several links with info.

I just tried the timetable search from of the belgian rail, and it says there are two stations in Zeebrugge. There is a station at the port (Zeebrugge-Strand), and one which I think is in the city itself (Zeebrugge-Dorp). The trains from the city (a few miles further from the port) go on sundays as well... :confused:

We visited Zeebrugge in June - on a Sunday. There was a free shuttle to Blankenberg Station which offered regular trains to Brugge. As this shuttle was used only by our ship I'm assuming that it was provided by the cruise line. The other stations are not operational over weekends. We didn't want any hassle and opted for a taxi to Brugge - the 17km drive cost 60Euros each way.

I am still a little confused....there are two stations in Zeebruge. Which one does the cruise line shuttle you to? I may want to purchase my tickets on-line. I did go to the web site but did not get so far as booking tickets.

Also: what would be the approximate cost in Euros or US dollars?

I got a nice packet from the tourism dept in Brugge, but no mention in English of the trains. (Flemish). But I did get a wonderful little booklet with 3 self guided walking tours of Brugge.

Thanks to all that respond to my questions!:)

We were in Brugge on The Golden Princess on July 10th. No problem getting there The attached link contains the information I used to plan the visit.

Travel to Brugge from Zeebrugge - Cruise Critic Message Boards

KG in Tennessee

The Cost Of A Taxi Is 40 Euros Each Way.the Taxis Can Take 4 Or A Van Holds 8 For 40 Euros. Several Vans /taxis Were At The Ship When We Disembarked 3 Weeks Ago. We Arranged A 2.30 Pick Up Back To The Ship With The Driver. Worth The Money.

Archived