Some help and answers from a Barceloner

Barcelona is one of our ports of call next month - thank you - this is all so helpful! We want to make the most of our time there!

Susan & John

Barcelona is not the worst place for picpoquets but you have to be careful with your purses, belonguings, cameras, etc. and do not trust on anbody which approach to you. I am 60 years old and I have never had any problem with pickpoquets in Barcelona but I am careful where I am walking or strolling in places with a lot of people as Las Ramblas, the Gothic Quartier or public transports.

Barcelona is a paradise for professional pickpoquets as there are many tourists in a lot of crowded streets which provides them the best opportunities. Unfortunately, we receive the best from all Europe. Do not trust not even in a british lady, quite old, that spends spring and summer pickpoqueting between Barcelona and Rome. She is very known by people except tourists, mainly british and americans. Also, be careful with romanian gipsys which act in groups.

In this thread there are many places recomended for tapas. I do not know a lot of them but I use to go, from time to time, to Irati whichs is placed in Cardenal Casanyas street which goes from the Ramblas, just opposite to the Liceo Opera House, to the church of Pi (esglèsia del Pi) and also to Sagardi which is in the Argenteria street, in a small place near Santa Maria del Mar, which goes frome there to Via Layetana/Plaça de l'Àngel.

With respect to sangria, I cannot advise you as I do not drink alcohol for some years but you may taste some at the entrance of the Boqueria market, in Las Ramblas and in other places and then compare.

Thank you for your response. Is Sagardi in the Gothic Quarter? How big is it? Can you sit outside?

I checked the website and it looks really good! :)

Thanks for all the information Normandie-BCN. I especially appreciate the information about Palma. I know you are from Barcelona, but I saw you had gone to Palma. Are the names you gave me tour drivers? What would be your best suggestion in that area? One more question- Do you think the Gallery Hotel is nice and in a good area? Thanks again, this information is so helpful for me who has never been to Spain!! Thanks for taking your time to answer!!!:)

Thank you for your response. Is Sagardi in the Gothic Quarter? How big is it? Can you sit outside?

I checked the website and it looks really good! :)

In Sagardi you may sit outside, if you find a place. It is not very big. It is not properly in the Gothic Quarter, it is in the Born, which is the quarter of Santa Maria del Mar, but is very very near.

Thanks for all the information Normandie-BCN. I especially appreciate the information about Palma. I know you are from Barcelona, but I saw you had gone to Palma. Are the names you gave me tour drivers? What would be your best suggestion in that area? One more question- Do you think the Gallery Hotel is nice and in a good area? Thanks again, this information is so helpful for me who has never been to Spain!! Thanks for taking your time to answer!!!:)

With respect to the names the "Green line" is for the subway and number 7 is a bus (red) line. I do not know which other names are you refering to. I know Hotel Gallery because I had my work just oposite some years ago. I do not know the rooms but it seems to be a good hotel and placed in the center of the city and not far, even on foot, from the old city.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your information on this column.

We will be arriving at Hotel Regina around 4:30pm. We have tickets for a 7:00 show at Palau de la Musica Catalana. I imagine that we will walk there. Can anyone recommend a good place to eat close to to the Palau? Tapas would be great as we are supposed to pick up our tickets around 6pm, plus after the inactivity of flying, we won't be starving.

Archived