Some help and answers from a Barceloner

This is my first post.

First excuse me for my English, there's a long time I don't write, but anyway I wanted to give you some help as I have found lots of useful information for my next cruise on the Norwegian Jewel on July 30th.

I have tried to keep alltoguether your questions about my birth city.

I will give you some interesting links too.

The official tourist information:

www.catalunyaturisme.com then you can open BCN virtual.

CIGARS SHOPPING:

GIMENO: at the Ramblas 100, in front of the Boqueria market. Wonderful and historical. You can visit:

WINE SHOPPING:

CORTE iNGLES: you can try at the "club del gourmet" more exclusive or at the supermarket.

opens from 10:00 to 22:00.

You have three options:

-Plaça Catalunya

-Diagonal/Gran Via Carlos III (shopping bus line

or Maria Cristina metro stop line 3 green)

-Diagonal/plaça Francesc Macià (shopping bus line).

LAVINIA: spectacular and modern wine store on the Diagonal 605, just betwen Corte Inglés Diagonal and "La Illa" a good shopping center.

LAFUENTE/COLMADO QUILEZ

Ferran, 20 the street from the Ramblas to the

Town Hall square (Sant Jaume)

Rambla Catalunya 63, you will enjoy this one, lots of history.

9 to 14h and 16:30 to 20:30 h.

I hope this will help.

An alternative tour for those willing to do sommething with less crowd:

From Via Laietana/Jaume I square, take Argenteria st to the Santa Maria del Mar Churh, this is my favourite, Beatiful gothic style without barroque decorations inside, wich is extremly rare. You will find your spirit fly there. Take the Passeig del Born and walk around all the little streets on your left. All the coolest designers and shops are there. There's also little restaurants to eat.

At the end you can take Montcada st. on your left. This is a borgeoisie st in the XV century, very nice. You can find 2 or 3 museums and art galleries. On the top the Picasso's Museum, even if you are not interested on modern paintries the building itself is wonderful. Nice and fresh restaurant too.

Then to finish the tour take Princesa st left that will bring you back to Via Laietana.

And Please, please and please again, don't eat or dirink at the Ramblas, it's expensive and bad, nothing to do with tapas or paella!!!

Not bad for my first time....

Thanks for the information BCNlady and welcome to CC.

Do you have any ideas about fun things to do with a 7 year old in Barcelona on a Sunday in the end of September?????

Gracias y saludos desde Cancun......

My first answer, thankyou for reading.

You have the Aquarium at the port.

Tibidabo park with fantastic views of the whole city and atractions. You can get there with an old tramway and a funicular.

For a short visit there's a chocolate museum near Princesa st. Children can even have there own experience working with chocolate.

For boys Barcelona FC stadium and museum is a top.

I will think about more ideas.

Saludos

BCNlady, thank you so much for writing. Your English is quite good. I have been trying to learn Spanish for about a year and my progress is very slow. I am reading a book by Robert Hughes: Barcelona, the Great Enchantress and he mentions several places that you recommend (away from the crowds), especially the Santa Maria del Mar Church.

A few questions. Is Corte Ingles open on Saturday? On Sunday? Which of the places you mention for wine are open on Sunday?

Thank you very much.

BCNlady, Thank you for your information. My husband will especially like the cigar shop which you recommended. We will also be on the July 30th cruise. Please join our roll call. We are taking our 11 yr old son. How is the Maritime Museum? I was also looking for things that might interest him. Thank you.

Bonnie

Thanks for taking the time to post. Your English is just great.......100 times better than my Spanish will ever be! My DH will certainly appreciate the information about cigars! That's his goal, to track down good cigars in every port. You said: "Please, please and please again, don't eat or dirink at the Ramblas, it's expensive and bad, nothing to do with tapas or paella!!!" Do you have any personal favorites where we might get great paella and fish soup? MY DH raves about the fish soup he had when he was there 20yrs ago and is intent on reliving that experience when we are there this September.

Thanks

My second son is also 11, I hope he could meet on board.

You are right. Museu Maritim is a good idea for teens. There's a summer exhibit on pirates right now. The building is a civil gothic construction, it was on the line coast and they "built" (not the correct word) the boats there. Nice gift shop and restaurant with nice terrace.

BCNlady, Your information has been invaluable! You covered everyone. Cigars for my husband, wine for me and pirates and ships for my 11 yr old son! How terrific is that? :) Please take a look at our 7/30 roll call. There is also an 11 yr old girl and many other children. Your children might like to see who they will be traveling with.

Can you recommend a few tapas bars and a few restaurants which you would consider "not to miss" if you were a visitor to Barcelona? We are staying 3 nights precruise at the Hotel Majestic on Paseo de Gracia. Thank you.

Bonnie

Hi bonnie, I'm coming back from "our" roll call. As I said before I'll prepare something for restaurants, it's promised.

Bea

BCNlady, Your information has been invaluable! You covered everyone. Cigars for my husband, wine for me and pirates and ships for my 11 yr old son! How terrific is that? :) Please take a look at our 7/30 roll call. There is also an 11 yr old girl and many other children. Your children might like to see who they will be traveling with.

Can you recommend a few tapas bars and a few restaurants which you would consider "not to miss" if you were a visitor to Barcelona? We are staying 3 nights precruise at the Hotel Majestic on Paseo de Gracia. Thank you.

Bonnie

BCNlady, very well written. Spanish is also my first language. Bienvenida (welcome) to the cruise critics boards, we learn a lot from others experience but if it is from a local, much better. We will be in Barcelona in Nov and we will be docked overnight so that evening we plan to go for tapas, buen vino (good wine) and musica espanola (music from spain) where the locals go for fun in the evening. What would you reccomend? I would love to eat (cochinillo) suckling pig or cordero (lamb). These are my favorites on our many visits to Spain. Again the following day for comida (for lunch) good place for Merluzza (a name for a fish I can't translate). Loved the pastries and food at Fargas, last visit in Barcelona was many years ago. Gracias por su ayuda (thanks for your help) and thanks for posting. I am new here too.

Ada

As promised these are my suggestions, they are all around the port/plaça Catalunya to make it easy for

TAPAS

CERVESERIA CATALANA Valencia St/Rambla Catalunya

near hotel Majestic and others aroun passeig de gràcia.

EUSKAL ETXEA or TXACOLIN (same owner) Placeta de Montcada

basq style tapas, you take what you like in the bar at the end you count how many tapas you had and pay for them. To drink ask for wine, txacolí (white basq wine), basq cydar or beer.

PINOTXO and all the bars inside the Boqueria market for a tapas lunch or quick mail. Not comfortable but funny and good quality.

QUIMET & QUIMET, Poeta Cabanyes 25 near paral.lel, this is a true must, you won't find any tourist over there. It's an old wine & spirits store where Quimets prepares his very personal and original tapas.

CAL PEP plaça de les olles 8 (near Sta Maria del Mar) tel 933107961. Pep decides what you are going to have, let him do... Tapas and good fish.

TRADITIONAL SPANISH AND CATALAN COOKING

CASA LEOPOLDO, Sant Rafael St 24 tel 934413014

My father's favourite. Long story in town. really good. Please go and leave with a taxi if you look like touirits,it's always better to prevent.

ESTEVET, Valldonzella 46 (near Ronda San Pedro) tel 933024186, curious place decorated with pictures of artists...

nice simple familiar cooking.

SENYOR PARELLADA, Argenteria 37 (Born quarter) 933105094

Heritates a long history family restaurant near Barcelona.

7 PORTES , Passeig Isabel II 14 TEL 933193032 very known and said to be the oldest in town. Good paellas.

AGUT, Gignés 16 (near via Laietana) 933151709. 75 years in town.

LA GARDUNYA just in the opposite main entrance of the Boqueria Market tel 933024323. More comfortable than bars inside the market.

FISH AND PAELLA RESTAURANTS

The first one is in the port and the rest at the Barceloneta, the old fishermen quarter of Barcelona. Try the rices, not only paella, black rice and lobster rice are tipically catalan. Parrillada is mixed grilled fish and zarzuela or suquet are sauced mixed fish, all delicious. Fresh Medditerranean fish is becoming luxurious and EXPENSIVE.

REIAL CLUB MARITIM DE BARCELONA Moll d'Espanya (in front of Maremagnum) tel 932216256 try to have the tables near the windows. If you go by night you will see the Mallorca ferry leaving from port.

CAN MAJÓ Almirall Aixada 23 tel 932215455. My father's favourite rice in town, paella, black rice or lobster rice. Take first a Pica-Pica, all kind of tapas-like in the middle of your table. Probably best deal than the others I suggest.

EL MERENDERO DE LA MARI Plaça Pau Vila. Palau de Mar tel 932216233. Very known. Terrasse on the sportive port.

SUQUET DE L'ALMIRALL Passeig Joan Borbó 65 tel 932216233

Also known.

I think I did a pretty good job, it's late now in Spain and even we are known for "siestas" I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and nothing about sleepin during my long worquing days. See you tomorrow

Bea

BCNLady

thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. My husband and I will also be on the 7/30 cruise with you. We look forward to meeting you. Please continue to join us on the roll call and plan on the meet and greet whenever we get it together. Your information is better than any tour book I am sure. We only have a short time and are grateful so we don't waste valuable time. Only 9 more days......

Melissa

BCNlady, very well written. Spanish is also my first language. Bienvenida (welcome) to the cruise critics boards, we learn a lot from others experience but if it is from a local, much better. We will be in Barcelona in Nov and we will be docked overnight so that evening we plan to go for tapas, buen vino (good wine) and musica espanola (music from spain) where the locals go for fun in the evening. What would you reccomend? I would love to eat (cochinillo) suckling pig or cordero (lamb). These are my favorites on our many visits to Spain. Again the following day for comida (for lunch) good place for Merluzza (a name for a fish I can't translate). Loved the pastries and food at Fargas, last visit in Barcelona was many years ago. Gracias por su ayuda (thanks for your help) and thanks for posting. I am new here too.

Ada

Cochinillo and lamb are not catalan but castilian specialities.

You can have it at "EL ASADOR DE ARANDA", a beautiful modernist house at the top of Tibidabo Av. Never been but looks very authentic "HERMANOS TOMAS" Pare Perez del Pulgar, 1 Tel 933457148 it's quite far fron the center (taxi).

For merluza (hake?) see my seefood selection on this board.

Hasta luego

Bea

Buenos Dias!

Thanks for the ideas for kids!! I think my son would like the Chocalate Museum. Do you know if they are open on Sundays? How much is the entrance? How much time should we allow there? Is this something that we need to reserve in advance? Can I get there by taxi from the pier????

Mil gracias,

Nicole

In the days of all of these modern, minimalist designer restaurants, sometimes it's nice to eat someplace old fashioned and old-world style.

My favorite of these restaurants for seafood is a restaurant called Botafumeiro in Barcelona. It's been around forever, you can go there casually dressed, and it's just great seafood, served on huge, beautiful platters, in a casual, but old-world atmosphere. Although in its most recent form, I believe it is owned by the local chain of Moncho's restaurants, it still preserves a very unique, old-world, individual style, and great food.

As the nice lady from Barcelona has pointed out, cochinillo, lamb, etc. are Castilian dishes. El Asador de Aranda is a chain restaurant. It's a great restaurant, but you have it all over Spain.

One of the restaurants in the Hotel Arts is by famous chef Sergi Ariola (who curiously enough became famous by opening his restaurant "La Broche" next to the Hotel Miguel Angel in Madrid). It is definitely worth a visit -- it's more on the formal side.

Bea, what do you think of Botafumeiro?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

In the days of all of these modern, minimalist designer restaurants, sometimes it's nice to eat someplace old fashioned and old-world style.

My favorite of these restaurants for seafood is a restaurant called Botafumeiro in Barcelona. It's been around forever, you can go there casually dressed, and it's just great seafood, served on huge, beautiful platters, in a casual, but old-world atmosphere. Although in its most recent form, I believe it is owned by the local chain of Moncho's restaurants, it still preserves a very unique, old-world, individual style, and great food.

As the nice lady from Barcelona has pointed out, cochinillo, lamb, etc. are Castilian dishes. El Asador de Aranda is a chain restaurant. It's a great restaurant, but you have it all over Spain.

One of the restaurants in the Hotel Arts is by famous chef Sergi Ariola (who curiously enough became famous by opening his restaurant "La Broche" next to the Hotel Miguel Angel in Madrid). It is definitely worth a visit -- it's more on the formal side.

Bea, what do you think of Botafumeiro?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Moncho, has always been the owner of Botafumeiro. Moncho's is his "pret-à-porter" bussines.

It's one of my favourites, I haven't listed it because it's a little ride from center. The best sea food in town. Perhaps better products than cuisine. Be prepared it is not cheap. No paella over there.

Sergi Arola is one of the must now. As you must know catalan's cookers are on the top right now in Europe rided by Ferran Adrià (El Bulli in Rosas, 6 months waiting list). Sergi has been trained by him, be prepared for a new experience, nothing to do with what your are used to. Tell me if you try.

Bea

Buenos Dias!

Thanks for the ideas for kids!! I think my son would like the Chocalate Museum. Do you know if they are open on Sundays? How much is the entrance? How much time should we allow there? Is this something that we need to reserve in advance? Can I get there by taxi from the pier????

Mil gracias,

Nicole

Museu de la xocolata:

Comerç St 36

museu@pastisseria.com

Monday to Saturday 10 to 19h

Thursday closing day

Sunday 10 to 15h

Entrance 3.80€ Workshop 6.30€

www.museudelaxocolata.com

When my kids visited I'd reserved for the workshop only.

I think 2-2:30h should be enough.

Easy to reach by taxi, not far from port.

Good shop and cafe inside (you can wait there while the workshop is going on).

Bea

hello bcnlady,

very useful info so far . we are staying at the hotel majestic for 2 nights for my honeymoon following a 8 day cruise in sptember. can you tell me anything about this hotel ? any good tapas places nearby?

Thanks

NJTOM

hello bcnlady,

very useful info so far . we are staying at the hotel majestic for 2 nights for my honeymoon following a 8 day cruise in sptember. can you tell me anything about this hotel ? any good tapas places nearby?

Thanks

NJTOM

It's a very well placed hotel. Being completely reformed little years ago.

Very good restaurant in: DROLMA

for tapas CERVESERIA CATALANA in the corner of Valencia St with Rambla de catalunya.

Enjoy it

Bea

Bea,

Thank you for posting the restaurant information. It is so nice to hear it from someone who is familiar with an area and who has experienced the cuisine first hand. I have printed a copy of your post to take with us.

Thanks you again.

Our plane leaves from Barcelona at 7:15 am on Nov. 8, 2006. I have read that security lines can be very long. What time would you suggest we arrive at the airport?

Thanks for your help.

Archived