Travel & Leisure's 10 best large ship cruise lines

M.S JAZO

Huh, I didn’t read the article, but I’m surprised HAL is so low. I heard/read the Marco Polo wasn’t so great with it’s thin walls. And carnival not even on the list. This was probably based on high brow review, with the best cabin etc.

Mark….

I've not cruised all these lines (Yet):) , but it seems pretty reasonable. Nothing wrong with being in the top ten. Not sure I would put Princess up there??:rolleyes:

No such thing as a bad cruise.

Kel

In Travel + Leisure's 11th annual poll, readers name the very best in travel, from hotels to cities to islands, along with all of the operators and outfitters who make the journey possible. Here, this year's winners and what they reveal about our readers' evolving, but always exacting, standards of excellence.

Source

I have always been skeptical about so-called readers polls. However, being a newbie to cruising, I am pleased to see the HAL in the Top Ten. :D

It's impossible for these to be really objective - after all there isn't anyone on the planet who has experienced all these lines in the past year to evaluate which is better than the others. So the 'researchers' are left to determine how much more someone might have enjoyed their cruise on Line A (via feedback on a comment card?) than someone else might have enjoyed their cruises on Lines B and C.

Huh, I didn’t read the article, but I’m surprised HAL is so low. I heard/read the Marco Polo wasn’t so great with it’s thin walls. And carnival not even on the list. This was probably based on high brow review, with the best cabin etc.

Mark….

I get the magazine: my take, it has to do with who advertises the most as well as other things. As for Marco Polo, I have had clients use the line because of the great itineraries; no the ships are nothing. Being some what of a skeptic I take these polls with a grain of salt. NMNita

Having sailed the top four, and being a long-time subscriber to T&L, I agree with the ratings. While Oceania happens to be our favorite, due to anytime dining and no formal nights, I can fully appreciate why Crystal and Regent slightly "outrank" Oceania.

We'll be on our first HA in December, and we're quite anxious to experience what so many folks on this board find wonderful about the line.

As to why Carnival, and for that matter NCL and RCI aren't in the top top -- ya gotta be kidding!

Mike

How embarrassing - our beloved Holland America one notch below a Mouse!

I demand a recount.

ROFL Ted!:D

I believe all you will get though is a little "whine" and cheese!!:p

Makes for good mouse bait, doncha think??

It's impossible for these to be really objective - after all there isn't anyone on the planet who has experienced all these lines in the past year

There might be a few people. I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas Ward has been on all of them in the past year.

I think it is a "given" that Crystal, Regent and Oceania should be on top as they cost the most. (But Regent is more expensive than Crystal.) Beyond that... They are all really very similar. I have been on HAL, Celebrity and Cunard in the past year... Really only minor differences between the three, quality-wise.

Also note that these are "large-ship" lines - that means over 500 passengers. So other "luxury" lines like Seabourn and Silversea are not on this list. (And Regent has some ships with fewer than 500 passengers - do they get listed twice?)

Who He?

He writes the "Berlitz Guide to Cruising" which has been the best-selling cruise guidebook for... Well, a long time. At least since the late '80s, I guess.

He is taken very, very seriously by the cruise lines. I guess his book is to cruise ships what the Michelin guide is to restaurants.

Of course he does not re-visit every ship every year (it would be impossible since he rates every single ocean-going cruise ship) but I imagine he probably sails most of the major cruise lines at least once a year. The "blurb" on the book says that he spends most of the year at sea.

Archived