Accident on Crown Princess

Just heard on news. The Crown Princess experienced a tilt and then righted itself. Thirty people are hurt, and 15 ambulances are on their way to meet the ship. Passengers have sustained broken bones.

Hope everything goes well from here on....

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla.(AP) A steering problem caused a new cruise ship to roll abruptly Tuesday, throwing passengers and crew to the deck and critically injuring an adult and a child, officials said.

Another 10 were seriously hurt and about 30 had lesser injuries, said Cape Canaveral Fire Rescue Capt. Jim Watson.

The ship returned to port and all passengers and crew were accounted for, the Coast Guard said.

Tom Daus, 32, was sunbathing on the ship's upper deck at the time.

"It became very disastrous because ... tables, glasses, lounge chairs went flying," he said. "I was just holding on for dear life onto the bannister of the ship."

Daus, of New York City, said several of the upper decks were flooded and the elevators were inoperable.

"The water came gushing out of the pool like a mini-tsunami," he said. "It was really scary. People who were in the pool were shoved out."

My thoughts and prayers are with these passengers!

Yes, Nancy (Nliedel) is on this ship, and I was afraid that Carol was Merion Mom. Here is a quote from them that is on the news story on the Cruise Critic home page:

Nliedel offers this chilling account. "Regarding injuries. People are badly injured. They called, 'Alpha, Alpha, Alpha.' They have closed the medical center to all but serious injuries and opened a satellite medical center. Carol is posting under my name, so it's not all just me posting.

"We have no idea what will happen. There is glass everywhere. Some people were hit by TV's falling off the shelves. There are some very severe cuts that I personally saw. The crew is very busy and people are panicking in life vests. Carol says some crew panicked and handed out life vests. They did not call the muster drill.

"Did I say Titanic is the MUTS movie tonight? That's some irony for you."

star2.bmp More from Nliedel (Carol): "Deborah, also one of our Cruise Critic group, was in an elevator when it happened. She's still shaking. CaroleLee was naked on a massage table in the Lotus Spa. As the ship listed, the equipment table next to her went sliding, and her table traveled about 15 feet across the corridor into a treatment room across the way. All of the Lotus Spa Pool is now in the Lotus Spa.

"All of the pools are pouring down the aft staircase and aft elevator shafts.

"The contents of the gift shops are all over the floors, mostly smashed. The contents of the bars are on the floors, and equipment is leaning or fallen.

"There is broken glass everywhere and many people are injured. There are children crying, and some passengers were handed life jackets by crew members. This just made them more upset.

I see people limping, bloody feet and other cuts. Most of the people that we know have wandered by and we know that they're ok. We are sitting outside the Explorers Bar."

This just made CNN, and they showed pictures of the Princess ship, interviewed a passenger and showed lots of photos. How frightening this must have been.

These boards are the worst I've ever seen tonight, and I wonder if it's because everybody is trying to get to the Princess board.

Our thoughts are with everybody involved in this awful event.

There is a long thread on the Princess board. Two of our regular RCCL posters, MerionMom and Nliedel, are posting live from the ship. It's called something like Crown Princess incident.

The ship listed severely, MerionMom said about 12 degrees, others said 30 degrees. No matter what, anything beyond 5 degrees is dangerous and uncomfortable.

People were hurt, including some severely injured, although MerionMom just posted that the little girl that had to be medivaced off the ship is going to be okay.

There is a long thread on the Princess board. Two of our regular RCCL posters, MerionMom and Nliedel, are posting live from the ship. It's called something like Crown Princess incident.

The ship listed severely, MerionMom said about 12 degrees, others said 30 degrees. No matter what, anything beyond 5 degrees is dangerous and uncomfortable.

People were hurt, including some severely injured, although MerionMom just posted that the little girl that had to be medivaced off the ship is going to be okay.

I have been reading the Princess boards off and on since I heard of the inident at 4pm yesterday. I am glad that most are okay and that Nliedel/Merion are able to give us information from the ship. The people that represent cruise critic have done just a spectacular job here. Outpacing the media by a long shot. I just want to give an "Atta Boy" to cruise critic and it's staff!

Karen

I just found out about the incident on the Crown Princess. Glad to hear that NLiedel and Merion Mom that are OK. Hope all of our other Cruise Critic friends on the ship as well as the other passengers get through this OK as well...

Didn't the same thing happen to the Norwegan Sky a few years back when it was also new? Believe the incident was in BC with the problem autopilot software related. (I remember the Coast Guard mandated manual steering for weeks/months until the problem was identified and resolved).

Best wishes to the injured on the Crown.

Thank goodness Nliedel and MerionMom are okay. Wow that must have been so scary. Kudos to them for getting on-line and keeping us updated. Kind of them to think of us during a crisis.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone on that ship.

Thank goodness Nliedel and MerionMom are okay. Wow that must have been so scary. Kudos to them for getting on-line and keeping us updated. Kind of them to think of us during a crisis.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone on that ship.

Ditto, MerionMom is gonna need a drink when she gets home!

Ditto, MerionMom is gonna need a drink when she gets home!

Looks like Carol and Nancy are both flying home today. Nancy stated that she would get in late tonight. Glad that they both made it out OK. Sounds like they were having the time of their lives on the ship before all of this happened. Something tells me that Carol will be sailing Princess again.

haha, the only funny thing about this story is that the ship was planned to play "Titanic" on its big screen tv. guess they'll never think about playing it agian...

Somehow I dont believe that they would ACTUALLY show Titanic on a cruise vacation. Ya know? I think that person was trying to be funny.

Yes, Nancy (Nliedel) is on this ship, and I was afraid that Carol was Merion Mom. Here is a quote from them that is on the news story on the Cruise Critic home page.

I hope this thread continues since part of our RCI group is on that ship. Yet, we hope that all of the passengers are safe now.

Archived