SeaDream Christmas '06 Cruise??

mike14c

Hi:

We're new to Sea Dream and have never been aboard before. However, we're currently considering the Christmas cruise on Seadream II from Barbados. The line looks wonderful, and we're really just looking to decompress and relax in a beautiful climate for a few days. We're a gay couple in our late 30s - early 40s.

My one concern, however, is kids. I'm sure they're inevitable at holiday time, but get the impression from some messages on this board that there's been some problems with them in the past particularly around holidays...anyone have any insight on that, and whether this cruise would be the best for a first time on SD?

Other options are Seabourne out ofFt. Lauderdale or Silversea out of Buenos Aires.

Any comments are greatefully appriciated.

THANKS!!

Michael

Welcome to out little group Michael!

SeaDream is a WONDERFUL product and it sounds like it fits the bill. We have sailed twice on SD and have loved it (especially the incredible Capt. T on SD2 and his outstanding crew).

We have not sailed during Christmas week ... but my sense is that if Easter week is any indicator you probably will see some children.

If it were me (big IF) I would contact the reservation office in Miami and ask them what the passenger make up looks like at this point ... specifically as it relates to the 18 and under group.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this specific sailing date ...

DisneyJen:

Thanks for your nice reply.

I've read through the posts here, including the ripping child controversey of the past. I have the impression (not quite sure why!) that Seadream may have learned a lesson and is not now offering discounted fairs for kids.

However, given that it is Christmas, I think I may now be leaning more toward Seabourn (which does not have as nice an intinerary and I'm not sure I'm going to be in tuxedo mood) but, from all evidence, would be more likely to have a smaller under 18 quota. Then we'll try Seadream next year, at a time when school is in session.

I'll toss it around this weekend, discuss with partner and make a decsion Monday!

THANKS!!

Michael

Which ever cruise you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

SD has changed its policy on the third person in the room rate but I am not sure how much it has impacted the holiday cruises. Actually SD's rate are running higher than SB in certain areas (Caribbean in December and November for example).

We are doing our first SB cruise Dec. 9 (SD did not have an itinerary that worked for our timeframe). I highly encourage you to check out SD. We really LOVE it ... SB is going to have to really step up to the plate to meet our expectations after our SD experiences.:p

I hope you have a great time!

How fortunate we all are to have two such well regarded lines vying for our affections. At the end of the day I expect we're really focusing on the differences between white roses and gardenias: both are very sweet! Ah...decisions decisions!!

I just read an interesting report on the Seabourn board about a Med cruise that had a fair number of children and teens.

My point is that there is no truly child-free line (and yes I am a parent:p ).

I just read an interesting report on the Seabourn board about a Med cruise that had a fair number of children and teens.

My point is that there is no truly child-free line (and yes I am a parent:p ).

Yes, that was my report. The children and teens were absolutely no problem for anyone on board.

Host Dan

Hi:

We're new to Sea Dream and have never been aboard before. However, we're currently considering the Christmas cruise on Seadream II from Barbados. The line looks wonderful, and we're really just looking to decompress and relax in a beautiful climate for a few days. We're a gay couple in our late 30s - early 40s.

My one concern, however, is kids. I'm sure they're inevitable at holiday time, but get the impression from some messages on this board that there's been some problems with them in the past particularly around holidays...anyone have any insight on that, and whether this cruise would be the best for a first time on SD?

Other options are Seabourne out ofFt. Lauderdale or Silversea out of Buenos Aires.

Any comments are greatefully appriciated.

THANKS!!

Michael

Hi Mike: My partner and I have been on SD four times and each time was just fantastic! The eye candy to die for! I would be a little hesitate to book a Christmas cruise on SD just because of the kid issue, the only time we had children onboard is in the Med. the owner of the cruiseline and his children were onboard but very very well behaved. If your interested in SD I would pick another time. A truly fantastic trip is planned by Admiral Travel Gallery in Sarasota, FL next year. Cairo to Athens look into it maybe we will meet up.

Regards Larry

Well, it is done!

After taking in all the advice offered here (thanks, nice people) we decided to go for it. On balance, it seems some of that the much discussed Hell Cruise hasn't been repeated, and our TA checked out the manifest -- as of now only group, a family, youngest person 17. Still a lot of cabins though. Sure it will be great.

Now, I'm onto the ports. The itinerary is out of Barbados, calling at Mayreau, Bequia, Iles des Saintes (none of which I know at all) and then onto familar ground with St. Bart's and Jost.

I'm searching posts, but any thoughts or suggestions (hope I'm not too greedy for info) on Mayreau, Bequia and Iles des Saintes....???

Anyhow, thanks for all the input so far, and we're excited about what will no doubt be a great holiday!

Michael

We've been to all those locations on our 2 SD cruises. In Isles des Saintes, the CD took us on a walk through the town to a lovely beach where you could snorkel or just chill out. There was also a large hill you swam to and could climb (DH did, but I didn't!).

We did Bequia and Mayreau on our January 06 cruise -- actually spent two days in Bequia because of poor weather. Very quiet island, nice beaches and apparently great lobster pizza! There is also a model boat building place called Sergeant's -- and a turtle rehab center. Mayreau is where we did our beach party (but perhaps yours will be on Jost?) -- only 250 people live on the island -- it is so narrow at one point that you can see the ocean on the other side! Did a morning snorkel excursion there and then the afternoon beach party, complete with band!

All small, pretty and quiet islands -- you'll enjoy! I have to wait til the Jan 07 cruise to see St. Barts!

Vandrefalk

Congratulations Michael! I am sure you will have a wonderful time on SD:D

On our 2 SD Caribbean cruises we did not hit those islands so I can't be of any help ... again:p

Looks like Vandrefalk has given you some good info.

Les Saintes is a small low-key French island, hence you will find several very good restaurants for lunch, if you like. We have been to Iles des Saintes twice with Sea Dream, and it is one of our favorite islands, still with authentic Caribbean flavour, and not at all overrun by tourists and their needs.

Walking around the village, you will not find the typical island duty free shopping, instead much more interesting local shops. The island is clean and well maintained. There are very few overnight tourists, mostly French day-trippers from nearby Guadeloupe.

We rent scooters on the dock and head to Anse Crawen, a very private beach at the far end of the island. (nude if you choose) You can go from one end of les Saintes to the other in 10 minutes, so during the day you will have ample chance to cover all the roads. There are virtually no vehicles, so it is lots of fun on the scooters. Pain au Sucre is another beach in the same direction, although less isolated than Anse Crawen.

If you enjoy the beach, ask for a box lunch from the ship and spend the day on your own. Brilliant.

• 1 month later...

Michael,

I visited Iles des Saints a few years ago on Windstar. It had the most incredible snorkeling right off the beach. Better than Tahiti or anywhere else in the Carribean. I also seem to recal that somewhere between Bequia and Iles des Saints was where they filmed Pirates of the Carribean.

My next adventure is SDII for the Seville to Tenerife in November. Can't wait!

Archived