walkie talkies

luvthedaysatsea

I'm looking for information on using walkie talkies on board a cruise ship to stay connected to family members. Do they work? What brand is best, how many "miles" are strong enough to reach someone many decks away? I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this issue. Thanks!:rolleyes:

Howdy luvthedaysatsea!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Help Forum! 04.gif

I fully understand your need to know more information. However, you have posted on the Help Forum where members find information the board's software and how to use it. This is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

To help you out and per the Guidelines, I am moving this thread to the Family Cruising Forum where it will be more on topic. I feel your fellow Cruise Critic members will be able to help you there. Also, I see you took 98Charlie's suggestion and have lots of replies on that forum too.

Sincerely glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic and thank you for stopping by the Help Forum.

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

We used walkie talkies on our last cruise... the Mariner of the Seas. They worked pretty well all around the ship. Ours are the 10 mile motorola walkies. You want to get ones that have many channels and sub channels so that you are not on the same channels as others on board. We never had a problem with this with ours. Just make sure that you are not disturbing others with constant chatting in quiet areas. They are quite helpful when used respectfully around others.

We used walkie talkies on our last cruise... the Mariner of the Seas. They worked pretty well all around the ship. Ours are the 10 mile motorola walkies. You want to get ones that have many channels and sub channels so that you are not on the same channels as others on board. We never had a problem with this with ours. Just make sure that you are not disturbing others with constant chatting in quiet areas. They are quite helpful when used respectfully around others.

I agree! MANY channels are the key here. We took ours on two cruises and heard lots of chatter on every channel we tried. It got very frustrating....moreso on the Disney cruise due to the high number of kids onboard using them. So if I had it to do again, I would buy some with lots of channels/sub channels...the most I could find.

hello!

we have motorola ones that we have used in the past on cruises, they work ok, can get noisy at times, that's why you should definately have the ones with different channels.... I don't know which cruise line you are sailing on, but Carnival also rents them on board their ships. On our last cruise on The Fantasy they had them for rent, unfortunately I am not sure of the price, for some reason I am thinking like $25-$30 for the cruise... have a great cruise :)

I have seen some new one's out that have a few neat features. One allows you to set it to "vibrate" instead of the "beep" you normally get. They also have a hands free feature, allowing you to connect a voice activated headset. Both these features would help help to not disturb others.

On our last cruise on The Fantasy they had them for rent, unfortunately I am not sure of the price, for some reason I am thinking like $25-$30 for the cruise...
Just curious. Do you know if that was per walkie talkie or for a pair?

Charlie

A pair of working, used two-way FRS radios can be had for less than $20 and a good, new set from $35 a pair on up (depending on quality, features and range), so why rent them for $25-$30 a week?

Archived