Is it just me??

ckrobyn

Do you ever feel overwhelmed on a cruise because there is so much to do?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever feel overwhelmed on a cruise because there is so much to do?

• Yes, I have felt that way at times
    • No, I have never felt that way
    • Sometimes, but not often

I hope this doesn't seem like a weird question.....but I would really like to know your thoughts.

Does anyone else ever get stressed out because there is SO much to see and do while onboard? I read the compass and highlight the interesting things I may want to do, but there are times where I am trying to relax by the pool and feel tense because there is so much going on that I could be partaking in!

Vacations are supposed to be relaxing ;)

My answer is "No". The nice thing about being older is that I no longer feel like I should be doing something. If there is an activity that really appeals to me, then I'll do it. Otherwise, me, my book and my view of the ocean are as happy as we can be!

DH & I aren't really the pool/sunbathing type so we don't ever feel like we have to choose between laying out/swimming or going to an activity. Sometimes they have a couple of activities that we'd like to do but they're at the same time so then we have to choose. Never get stressed about it because we figure we'll do the missed activity on our next cruise. The most stress we have is when we MUST get off the ship - that really bothers me. ;)

I like people watching that first day onboard. Coz new cruisers are like that.. and watching people with their cameras-- its ok to enjoy the cruise from the other side of the lens. (so much is happening and they are afraid they are gonna miss something)

descibes me on my first cruise-- I dont even think I slept that week.

Today-- after a few cruises I know I can always book another to do the stuff I missed last time

Nope, I cruise to relax and enjoy being on the ocean. Activities and ports are secondary. I never miss "Tea Time" on sea day afternoons; other than that, I enjoy a few of the activities like trivla games, but if they weren't offered, it would make little difference.

Never! For me, one of the joys of cruising is not doing anything except enjoying a good book, watching the sea, napping once in a while - and tea when it's time! Maybe twice I will go to the Caribbean Stud table in the evening but I really prefer to be out on deck somewhere or on my balcony enjoying the beauty of what I am seeing!I don't even go ashore much!

Don't worry, after you have a few cruises under your belt, you will enjoy being slothful!:)

I check off a few things I want to do (or might want to do, if I have the energy :rolleyes: ), but unless I purposefully (or accidentally) blew off an activity where I was supposed to meet someone else - NO GUILT whatsoever for "doing nothing"!

It's your vacation. You don't have to have every minute "scheduled". In fact, my BF will wander by & see me ensconced in a lounge chair & ask "what are your plans for today?". I'll answer, "you're looking at it! See you in the cabin before dinner!" :p I'm not saying I always do "nothing", but I paid a lot to do WHATEVER I WANT & if that's "nothing but watch the sea roll by", then so be it!

Sha

I love to just relax when I am on a cruise. Sometimes I will high light things to do on the capers. Most of the time durning sea days I just enjoy the freedom to take a walk on deck and to nap whenever the mood hits. On shore days we usually take a tour of the island and then hit the beach. I think the thing I most enjoy about cruising is being able to have an excellent sit down dinner with family and new friends we meet aboard.

It's also nice meeting the crew on the ships too. I enjoy learning where their from and things about them. Got to love cruising do as much as you want or as little as you want!

Shan:)

Absolutely No!

As with all of our vacations, be it land or sea, we just go with the flow of whatever we decide to do that day. In our seventies, and we find cruising to be the most relaxing vacation of all.

If we book one excursion during the entire cruise, that will be all. Otherwise, we just enjoying being on a huge ship, seeing sights we would not be able to see otherwise, and taking advantage of not having to do a single chore for whatever time we are aboard.

What a glorious way to vacation.

No stress here, that is for sure.

For the first couple of cruises we tried to do everything. Then we came to the realization that this was our hobby and we would be back.

Now it's more like "If we miss it, we'll catch it on the next cruise."

Charlie

Hey ckrobyn - No, we do not get stressed out.....now!! We used to try to cram 26 hours into 24, forget sleeping. Now, the only things we plan are our shore excursions. But, this takes practice and patience to realize that relaxing, is also considered an activity - tee hee hee.

Remember there is always another cruise.

I feel guilty because many times I just want to snuggle up with a good book and drift off for a lil nap. I know the ship is surging with entertainment etc. and I feel like I'm breaking some unspoken rule by not partaking in all the excitement. I am one that feels overwhelmed at times. My work is very stressful and intense and I just can't work up the energy to do all the goofy games or sometimes get all dolled up just to go eat.

Hubby is complete opposite. We reach our compromises BEFORE we step on the ship. That is why I research everything to death and come up with a plan that fits both our expectations. I would do well by myself on a lush = but deserted island. He thinks it's his job to entertain everyone on each and every tender and elevator ride. But believe it or not we somehow balance each other out. :)

It funny, as many cruises as I've been on, you'd think I wouldn't feel this way. I love sitting out in the sun (which I usually always do during the day . . . with my 100% SPC or whatever you call that lotion) . . . but then I keep looking at my Capers and feel so anxious about the things going on that I'd like to do. Unfortunately . . . can't do most because I'm in my bathing suit and besides, I don't want to leave the sun (or the book that I'm usually so into . . . can't wait to turn the next page). I keep telling myself that I can read a book and sit out by the pool at home . . . I mean . . . why did I bother to go on a cruise if I'm only doing what I could do at home?

But . . . without exception . . . I've loved each and every cruise I've been on so I must be doing something right. I've always booked a shore excursion in every port I've visited (even if I've been there a dozen times before . . . there's always something more to do and see that I haven't done or seen before).

Just wish Carnival would do away with their inane "hairy chest" contest. Who ever came up with this should be made to "walk the plank."

Start w/ a bloody mary or two at bfast and then have 3 or 4 of those umbrella type rum drinks before noon and you'll get over those feelings completely.. You'll be content to just lay out by the pool and let the world pass you by.

*S* oh, and be SURE to pass on the Friends of Bill W get togethers..

We've been very lucky - my BF & I have never cruised alone. Our 1st cruise was with a group of about 35 people. After that, WE formed a small (but growing) group of friends & relatives to join us on subsequent cruises. I'm a person who likes to sit on the deck chair. Daan loves to poke around & explore the ship. We never feel the need to be together all day, or at all, really. The only exception is Shore excursions (although on our 1st cruise we did do separate excursions 1 time, but we each had other members of our group with us) & Dinner in the Dining room. We both enjoy going to the shows after dinner, including the Talent shows. I'm not a big fan of the comedians (some are a little too "blue" for me), so he usually ends up going to those shows alone, or with someone in our group, while I head off to karaoke with others in our group. He's very outgoing & gregarious, I'm a little more quiet & laid back (at least til I get to know people), so I guess even if we did sail with just each other, our cruising styles would be "fine" - he'd be off making new friends & exploring the ship, & I'd be relaxing on a deck chair. I'd probably have to go to karaoke alone (which I've never done by myself, so that would be weird :p ). But we feel no compulsion to be "joined at the hip" for the duration of the cruise - even tho we really do enjoy doing things together. His favorite saying as he heads off in the AM - "I'm never more than 1,000 feet away!" And since I'm usually "parked" in the same section of the ship, he can usually find me & say hi whenever he wants. And we leave notes in the cabin during the day, like, "Going to the backstage tour at 2, if you want to meet me". Sometimes we meet, sometimes we don't. Gives us a lot to talk about when we join up at dinner!

Sha

. . . but then I keep looking at my Capers and feel so anxious about the things going on that I'd like to do. Unfortunately . . . can't do most because I'm in my bathing suit and besides, I don't want to leave the sun (or the book that I'm usually so into . . .)

I usually keep a big beach bag with me on deck - with my book, sunscreen, towel, Capers, etc. I wear a flowing, lightweight cotton wrap (tied at my waist like a skirt) over my bathing suit that covers my legs to almost my ankles. I always wear sandals with straps outside my cabin (no flip flops). I also keep a lighweight shirt in my bag (that matches my skirt wrap), so if I feel like I want to check out something (like the back stage tour, or lunch in the dining room) but don't have time go to my room & change, I can be "fully dressed" in a minute! :D I don't like to keep my options "limited".

Sha

I don't get stressed about it but I do feel the need to try and fit in everything. It really annoys me when there are 2, sometimes 3 things that I want to do that are all scheduled for the same time. ;) I hate to miss anything! Maybe one of these days I will actually come back from a cruise relaxed.

I voted yes, especially when you first start cruising.

You sort of want to see and do everything- sooo you exhaust yourself. Thats also when it is nice when you can take longer cruises----more at sea days and more R&R time

I remember our first cruise. Staying up late and getting up early , after 4 days i thought i was going to die !!!

BUT... what a way to go !!

Nadine

I feel guilty because many times I just want to snuggle up with a good book and drift off for a lil nap. I know the ship is surging with entertainment etc. and I feel like I'm breaking some unspoken rule by not partaking in all the excitement. I am one that feels overwhelmed at times. My work is very stressful and intense and I just can't work up the energy to do all the goofy games or sometimes get all dolled up just to go eat.

Hubby is complete opposite. We reach our compromises BEFORE we step on the ship. That is why I research everything to death and come up with a plan that fits both our expectations. I would do well by myself on a lush = but deserted island. He thinks it's his job to entertain everyone on each and every tender and elevator ride. But believe it or not we somehow balance each other out. :)

I think you and your DH are the mirror image if myself and my DH ;)

Thank you for your comments. It's reassuring to know that I am not the only that feels overwhelmed at times!

Our first cruise, I thought wow so many things happening at the same time.... We pick out what sounds the best. We do go to bed every night tired, doing fun stuff in our day. But my hubby's motto is........"Everyday is a Holiday" and "Sleep is for the weak"!!! :)

I think the first couple of cruises I did, before I realized what I really wanted to do and that is...relax.

I'll read through the daily newsletter and once in a great while we'll go to something, but we don't stress out over anything other than being on time for dinner. And, since we've learned to never take the early seating, now we don't even stress out over that!

This is for ckrobyn...Hello, it has been while...How are you and your family doing...Nice of you to pop in to our posts and say hello...We are all fine...Chris and I got married last Aug..and life is treating us good...The kids here go back to school on Thur..(27th of July) thank the lord...Been waiting for this the whole summer...Well don't be a stranger now...Will talk with you later...LOL Kim

I don't get stressed, but I do get annoyed (one umbrella drink cures that) when EVERYTHING I want to do is scheduled at the same time. On Monarch this month, they had the Platinum/Diamond reception, wine tasting and swing dance class scheduled at the same time. We opted for free drinks on the Captain's nickel. No stress there!:D

Archived