Interesting article and background on Turkey today at bbcnews.com, under the Europe section headed "Turkish anti-west mood rising".

Since we will be cruising to Turkey in March, this article raises some concerns. For those of you who have recently travelled there - what are your experiences with the mood of the people there?

I only hope for the innocents on both sides of this horrible conflict in the Middle East that saner heads will prevail soon.

Turkey is a beautiful country. I wouldn't worry too much about anti-west sentiments -- you're not exactly travelling up into the isolated rural mountains, but rather probably going to be touring Istanbul and Kusadasi.

The Turkish government will never let the "anti-west" movement get too out of hand, because Turkey has been dying to join the European Union for decades and, finally, it's reached the final stage of negotiations, with joining the EU becoming a real possibility in the next few years.

There is something magical about Turkey that is quite hard to describe unless you've been there.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I agree with the CRUSIN-G, went to both Istan & Kusa and had absolutely NOOOOO problems. We loved Turkey very much, the atmosphere DOES NOT smell of anti-west, they're most friendly and if you didn't see the Red Cresent flag so often you wouldn't know you were in Turkey.Don't sweat it and only believe 10% of what you hear on any news broadcast, be it bbc,nbc,cbs etc......you get what I mean.

Go.....have a good time...enjoy ur vac......and don't sweat it so much.

Ciao,

Given a choice with visiting with the BBC or Turkey...and I would spit on the BBC and run to Turkey (big smile). The truth is that the BBC is more anti-west than most Turks.

Hank

We didn't notice any anti-Western or anti-American sentiment in Istanbul during the week we spent there. No anti-Israeli or pro-Hezbollah rallies either, despite the outbreak of conflict in Lebanon. We were victimized several times by dishonest taxi drivers, but that due to the fact that we were tourists rather than Americans. :D

Istanbul is a diverse, cosmopolitan city whose general view is "Live and Let Live." This doesn't mean that extreme radical Islamo-fascists don't exist in the city (noting the bank and synagogue bombing of yesteryear), but their influence is largely minimized by the secularized Muslims who are living, breathing, and working there.

Let me reconfirm what's been said by the previous posters. We (2 middle aged women traveling alone) spent a week in Istanbul in April; & couldn't have felt more welcome & at home. We rode the tram & bus everywhere. We encountered your average Turk every day, not just those in the tourist industry. They went out of their way to be helpful. Some even stopped us on the street, commenting on our hair or clothes & honing their English speaking skills. IMO, if you are respectful of their way of life, you will find them very tolerant of westerners. Istanbul is a truly mystical & magical place. Go & enjoy all that Turkey has to offer.

We also spent time in Turkey, had a great time in Instanbul, Kosadaki and Boldrum; and we would confirm that isolated situations should be taken with due regards but not with total concern to cancel plans in Turkey.

Along with our private tour guide, then on our own, we asked similar questions and always got positive feedback, "We don't mind differences of opinion. But right now it is important for us to become more economically secure. Bring on more tourists!!?

Archived