Snorkeling Hawaii vs. Caribbean

Nieuwcruiser

Having done both, I would say that you get to see some different fish, and I like doing snorkeling in both Hawaii and Caribbean. Waters are warm in both.

Happy cruise planning!

I can't really answer your question because Hawaii is the only place where I've snorkeled. But I can tell you that it was so much fun. We saw so many unusual, colorful fish and sea turtles. It was fantastic!

To me, both were wonderful! This last trip we snorkeled at Kealakekua Bay on a Captain Zodiak excursuin there. This is considered by many to be the BEST snorkeling spot in all of Hawaii. It truly was incredible...like snorkeling in an aquarium!

I have snorkeled in both the Caribbean and Hawaii. Interestingly I found Hawaii to have slightly colder water - so I suspect that is just related to time of year.

The snorkeling is quite good but (in my opinion) somewhat different from the Caribbean. In Hawaii I thought the schools of fish were larger but the coral was less colourful than in the Caribbean. In Hawaii I noticed larger fish closer to shore but fewer of the brightly coloured small fish.

Don't miss the opportunity to snorkel in Hawaii - we especially loved Kealakakua Bay on B.I.

The Caribbean is definitely warmer. I noticed it immediately when we were in the Caribbean. :D

Spleen

As a Scuba diver, it is normally much warmer in the Caribbean, especially once you get as far south as Cayman and definitely warmer in the Southern Caribbean. Hawaii almost never gets over 80 degrees and I have been in 85 degree water in Bonaire. I would recommend if you chill easily to get a shorty wetsuit or at least a light full suit. Of course, that is a good idea no matter where you snorkle.

jc

Here is a chart (wonder if it will format properly here?).

JANFEBMARAPRMAYJUNJULAUGSEPOCTNOVDECHonolulu, Oahu Island

N/A

Hilo, Hawaii Island

As a Scuba diver, it is normally much warmer in the Caribbean, especially once you get as far south as Cayman and definitely warmer in the Southern Caribbean. Hawaii almost never gets over 80 degrees and I have been in 85 degree water in Bonaire. I would recommend if you chill easily to get a shorty wetsuit or at least a light full suit. Of course, that is a good idea no matter where you snorkle.

jc

That's a good idea, but you don't even need to get a shorty suit for Hawaii. My DH is a self-professed water temp wimp. He does fine in the eastern/southern Caribbean, but finds Hawaiian waters a tad cool any time of year. One time he tried out a lightweight short-sleeved wetsuit top and loved it. We bought him one at Maui Dive Shop (so I imagine they would be pretty easy to find at dive shops throughout the islands), and it's just right. It's not bulky (doesn't interfere with movement at all), didn't cost too much, is easy to put on and take off, and keeps his core warm. It takes up very little luggage space and has been worth every penny for him to have truly enjoyable snorkels in Hawaii. (We both have snorkel vests, but of course they offer no help with heat retention.)

beachchick

Archived