Hong Kong in 2007

Judith02

• 2 weeks later...

Hong Kong is just one of those large, very congested cities, that is best explored by using a combination of your feet, taxis, and the Star Ferry. If you have a decent guide book there is little need to take tours. If you like to shop you will be in 7th heaven (I wonder if this is a Chinese saying).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, no need to join any tour for sightseeing in Hong Kong! The public transport system is excellent. You can go everywhere by bus (air-conditioned!!), rails (the so-called KCR and MTR) and ferries. The underground system (MTR) is excellent and huge passengers use it everyday, but you still feel very good!

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the Pacific Princess and we docked at a four story shopping mall, next to the Star Ferry. The Pennisula just out the front door and the bus and subways were very easy to use, esepcially if you're familiar with that type of transportation. The city is really easy to navigate, just remember to bring along a slip of paper that has your hotel's name and address on it in the local script. Most people speak a little English, but not enough to carry a conversation.

We did a tour through the ship the first day. We visited Stanley Market, Victoria Peak, Aberdeen and a pewter factory. I'd frankly pass on Aberdeen and Stanley market (nice, but expensive). Victoria Peak was nice for the view and there's a huge shopping mall there with some very nice restaurants - the tram is funky. You go down backwards.

The next day, one of our table mates took us into the area just around the pier and we had a really great time just wandering down the streets and people watching. We went through a fish market, a department store, which had the best bargains in Hong Kong, i swear, and to a local dim sum restaurant. We took the bus and the subway and it was quite frankly so much nicer than the tour we did the day earlier. We set our own pace and stopped when we felt like it.

Do be warned that the traffic in Hong Kong is intense and everything will take longer to get to than you expect. If you take a taxi out to Kowloon, Macau, or one of the other islands, know that you will have to pay the taxi for his tariffs on the way back(this was according to our guide).

Hope this helps a little. We really loved this stop and wished we had more time to play here.

Sail Safe,

Charlie

• 1 month later...

Very nice report, Spikesgirl.

One correction--you cannot take a taxi to Macau, that's an island way out where you need to take a one-hour hydrofoil ride or a helicopter ride. From the Ocean Terminal, where your cruise most likely docked, that is the Kowloon side (penisula), across the harbor is the Hong Kong island. I do not suggest taking a taxi to go across the harbor. Just hop on the Star Ferry outside of Ocean Terminal or take the subway across. Much cheaper and faster.

You can spend many hours shopping, walking etc. around the Ocean Terminal area. There is also a big food court and super market (City Super) around there.

If you are interested in bargaining,and you are adventurous enough, go to the "Women's Market" in Mongkok (take the subway) and "Temple Street" in Jordon.

YMCA Salisbury is indeed a good place to stay. Nothing fancy, but comfortable. Right next to the Penisula. Good room rates, you can book online.

If we stayed in the Kowloon area, what would be the best way to get to the airport?

"Best" is impossible.

One answer is: Stay at The Peninsula and take their Rolls Royce transfer. You will be met at the airport drop-off my a manager level Peninsula emplyee in stripped pants who knows EVERYONE at the airport. Very helpful if there is a problem.

Another answer: Take the Airport Express. Fast, safe, easy.

Paul

Thanks Paul, Unfortunatley the Penn is way out of my budget. It will probably the the YMCA for me. How would I find out about the Airport Express. How long do you think it would take to get to the airport. Leaving on a 8:00am to LAX via Tokyo?

The airport express has a checkin on Hong kong island at the underground terminal. There are buses that stop at the different hotels and they stop at the terminal. Enquire at your hotel and they will tell you where to catch the Airport Express bus -free- they run about every 1/2 hour. You book in at the underground terminal and then take the train to the airport. It takes about 30 minutes. The station is in the airport.

Maxine

gwhizma,

If you stay at the YMCA (Kowloon side) you should go to the Kowloon Airport Express Station. It should be a short taxi ride from the YMCA (5 minutes) The Airport Express runs every 12 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes from the Kowloon Station to the airport. The cost is HK$90 (about US$12)

However if your flight to LAX leaves at 0800 (are you sure? North West flies to Tokyo/LAX at 0830 and United around 0845) there are a few issues you should know:

1. The first Airport Express train departs Kowloon Station at 0553 am. That means you get to the airport earliest 0615.

Timetable: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_time.htm

2. The free Airport Express Shuttle bus (which runs between major hotels such as the Peninsula, and the Airport Express Station - not the airport) is in service only after 0618 so you probably won't be able to use it. http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_compli_e.htm

3. For added security reasons most (if not all) airlines now require passengers to check in their luggage at the airport for all flights to the USA. So although you may check in and obtain a boarding pass at the airport express station you will need to transport your luggage on and off the train all the way to the airport. Check with your airline. Go directly to the train and do not waste time checking in at the station if this is the case.

4. There are enhanced security measures for flights to the USA at the airport, with the usual carry-on luggage limitations. All flights to the USA now departs from gates 46-50 which is a long way from immigration (allow at least 15 minutes from immigration to gate). There is a secondary security check at gate 46 where all your carry-on baggages will be hand searched. You should allow more time for this.

The good news is in the early hours of the morning the airport will not be crowded. You should be able to make it if you take an early train and arrive at the airport before 0630. The alternative would be a taxi to the airport (around US$40).

When we went to HK in July, our plane back to LAX via Tokyo was 9:00 in the morning. We decided to stay at the Regal Airport Hotel the night before. Much more relaxed and not to having to worry about getting stuck some where. The airport hotel is just a 5-minute walk through a covered corridor, very easy and convenient. Our friend in HK booked a package for us including 3 meals at the hotel for the day (if I remember correctly, it was about $1,200HK for the room and meals). Check for package deals for locals if you have friends in HK. There might also be some good deals on the internet. We just walked over after a delicious buffet breakfast.

dbbsteve, Thank you for your detailed information. You are probably correct in the departure time being 8:45 on United. I have the info at work. I feel I am not totally clueless with your shared experience and links.

ROCruiser, I hadn't thought about staying close to the airport, good idea. We only have the one day in in Hong Kong and thought mabe Kowloon area would give more to see. ( Though I don't know what yet)

Any suggestions on anything is appreciated!

Thank you guys for time. It really makes a difference.

Archived