Kids Program--Rules on Ages

Ga_Girl

We will be sailing on PoH in late September. DS will be less than a month from his *second* birthday while on the cruise. I know that means that he cannot go into the kids programs at all....right?

My question is if they are at all lenient on the age thing? I mean, you can't tell by looking at a child if they are two yet. Do we have to show them some documentation/proof that he's two? Will they be able to look at our cabin information and see that he's not yet two?

I'm not trying to be dishonest. I would just like to have one dinner alone with my husband!! :)

Susan

I don't know if this will help out or not, but here goes.....

I posted a similar question for my 2 boys (ages 9 and 10) I guess on the Dawn one age group goes from 6-9 and the other starts at 10-12. I know my youngest would not be comfortable with the activities in his age group and would want to be with his brother anyways. So I asked if my 9yr old could go with his brother to the higher age group and someone replied that they are very strict about this and will ask for ID for the boys. Apparently from what they said, the kid's club will take the child's age at time of boarding to determine which age club he is in. So I'm thinking it's a no-go. :(

We are taking our 2 grandsons with us on the Star to Alaska. This cruise is all about them and we want everything to be just right. When we board the ship they will be just turned 12 and 1 month shy of 10. If they are strict about ages, the 9 yr. old will be in a group with kids as young as just turned 6 and he will definitely NOT be happy. If we can not find a way for him to be with his brother in the 10-12 group, they will miss out on the kids program completely. We are not trying to get rid of them, but they would both enjoy meeting other kids.

Lady Jag - how did you find a way to "work around it"?

Julie

If this is any help, I have found that Royal Carribean is much more flexible on the age thing with their kids crew.

We take our Kids cruising every year. Last year on Norwegian my girls were 4 and 6 and seperated. My 4 year old was miserable with the younger kids. NCL was completely inflexible even when we explained the situation and asked nicely. Finally, after the third night they *allowed* my older daughter to move down to the younger group. So my 6 year old was allowed in the group with the 2-5 year olds. The reluctantly moved my older child to the younger group but were adament against moving my younger child to the older group.

This year we cruised on Royal Carribean and they were much more understanding and interested in the kids being happy. On the first night I explained the situation and my girls were grouped together. Plus I found that on RCCL they gave the kids options regardless of age. Some kids could play the game - all ages welcome, others could make the

Space Goo if they wanted all ages welcome and others could color and listen to stories if they wanted, all ages welcome. They were much more accomodating, if this helps you with cruise planning at all.

As has been reported on these boards many times: NCL does not budge an inch on the age thing.

They use the ships manifest to check the ages. The manifest is created based on the advance registrations and then confirmed by the passports or birth certificates that you carry.

The reason that all the cruise lines are strict about the ages is simple: take any decision making out of the hands of the counselors. There is already someone ranting and raving on here about someone getting a better cabin price than them. Think of the screaming and threats if their little Johnny is kept down an age group, but Timmy in the next cabin is moved up because the counselors feel he is more mature.

By not staying to strict, documentable age guidelines, the cruise lines are preventing the counselors from being put in awkward situations. Besides where would you draw the line?? Two months? Six months? See the problem.

To answer the question regarding the minimum age for eligibility to the kids' program: There is no flexibility. They will know exactly how old your child is because it's on your cruise docs, registration, manifest, etc. I know this is disappointing, but the fact is that if they make an exception for your almost 2 year old, then others will expect the same thing and then they might as well not have an age minimum.

Also, while RCI can be somewhat lenient on allowing "almosts" to move up into another age group, they make absolutely NO exceptions whatsoever to the 3 year old age minimum for eligibility into the AO program for the youngest age group. RCI often allows the ship's AO staff to make determinations for moving up from one group to another (it depends on how many kids are in the program, sometimes there's just no room to move anyone around; how mature the child is, based on observing for a day; and whether the staff wants to do it, they aren't required to so don't rely on what RCI customer service says because the decision isn't theirs to make.)

Does NCL have an in-cabin babysitting program like some of the other lines do? Would that be a compromise you would be comfortable doing? Believe me, I want you and your DH to have alone time--I'm a firm believer in parents having adult time to recharge their relationship and strengthen their marriage. I hope you can work out at least one evening for just the two of you.

Anyway, I know this is a disappointment, but I'm sure you'll still have a great time together as a family. Enjoy!

beachchick

Thanks you for all your replies.

Beachchick--I completely agree with you and am in the habit of being a rule-bender! :) Even as I was wondering this, I was still thinking, "but they have to draw the line somewhere." I'm certainly not upset!! I was thinking that they would probably be able to tell that he is under 2 as our manifest and cabin info list him as so!

Unfortunately, NCL has no babysitting, no programs, nothing for a child under 2, so he will have to be with us the entire time. That's really OK and we expected that when planning this cruise, but it really would be nice to have just one evening sans toddler!

Thanks.

Susan

heres my plan..

DD is 5 3/4, I KNOW she would have a LOT better time in the 6-9 group as opposed to the 2-5, shes a big girl and fairly mature for a 5 year old. I called NCL, and was told they are VERY strict, and go by the advance registrastion, so i just "accidentaly" typed 200- rather than 2001 in for her birth year. i am just hoping that they dont catch it against her BC, if they do I can "blame" faulty typing fingers!

OK flame away....

We are taking our 2 grandsons with us on the Star to Alaska. This cruise is all about them and we want everything to be just right. When we board the ship they will be just turned 12 and 1 month shy of 10. If they are strict about ages, the 9 yr. old will be in a group with kids as young as just turned 6 and he will definitely NOT be happy. If we can not find a way for him to be with his brother in the 10-12 group, they will miss out on the kids program completely. We are not trying to get rid of them, but they would both enjoy meeting other kids.

Lady Jag - how did you find a way to "work around it"?

Julie

Julie and everyone else: all lines are very strict and will not bend one bit, not even one day. I know it's rough, but they have to break it somewhere. I remember, many years ago when our son was swimming competitively; Summer finals (it was a year round program) hit, he aged up the last day of a 4 day meet: in fact because of the time of night he was born, his age changed 7 minutes before midnight. Had he been able to swim with the age group he had been in for 3 years they would have set state records: nope, the rules were, if the swimmer age changed anytime during the meet he/she had to swim with the new age group. After that meet every swim experience we had and that of our grandkids now the rules read "first day of meet" We didn't like it either, but policies are just that. The less you make out of this, the easier it will be on your grandsons. NMnita

heres my plan..

DD is 5 3/4, I KNOW she would have a LOT better time in the 6-9 group as opposed to the 2-5, shes a big girl and fairly mature for a 5 year old. I called NCL, and was told they are VERY strict, and go by the advance registrastion, so i just "accidentaly" typed 200- rather than 2001 in for her birth year. i am just hoping that they dont catch it against her BC, if they do I can "blame" faulty typing fingers!

OK flame away....

Two problems with your plan:

1.) They will check the birth certificate or passport at the dock when you check in. (I just happened to be at the counter next to a person who did the same thing and you should have heard her scream when the NCL person told her the Passport date did not match and she would have to change it.)

2.) You just informed NCL of your plans by posting that on a web board that we all know NCL monitors. Brillant!!

When our grandsons try the program as it is, following NCL guidelines, if they are unhappy with it they just won't go back and we won't make any big deal about it. We're taking them on this cruise to build a special memory of their trip with Nina and Popa - not to send them to NCL kid's program. If it's an enjoyable part of the cruise for them - OK, but it's absolutely NOT a requirement for them or for us.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Julie

Unfortunately, NCL has no babysitting, no programs, nothing for a child under 2, so he will have to be with us the entire time. That's really OK and we expected that when planning this cruise, but it really would be nice to have just one evening sans toddler!

Hi Ga_Girl, from what I understand NCL does have babysitting, only it occurs when the children's programs are not in session such as port days and evenings. It is $5 per child an hour but they need a certain number of children signed up in order for it to happen. If I am incorrect on any of this informatio folks, please correct me. THanks!

This thread seems to be getting a little rough, although i dont think anyone means to be that way.

I have two that will be 2 days shy of the next age group. They would probably much prefer the next group, but you never know how they'll feel until you are there. I'm sure they are strict, just as I am certian that there are most likely many one-offs with these things, whether it be from a tip or just a logical ee.

For those of you who already were there, you know how it was for you and your little angels. For the Moms who are anxiously waiting their time to cruise and rel;ax, you'll need to see how to make it work for you.

I do know they are strict. i do know they said no to me from the home office to have my two pushed up, yet still, I'll see how it goes. In my humble opinion the problem is time, and we know thats a relative topic. what one month away from a birthdate is for one child may be 6 months to another. To leave interpretation out of it, rules are made. Its the way of the world.

Good luckand happy vacation to any of the moms who need it!

When our grandsons try the program as it is, following NCL guidelines, if they are unhappy with it they just won't go back and we won't make any big deal about it. We're taking them on this cruise to build a special memory of their trip with Nina and Popa - not to send them to NCL kid's program. If it's an enjoyable part of the cruise for them - OK, but it's absolutely NOT a requirement for them or for us.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Julie

What a refreshing change to hear! You are taking this vacation with your grandkids for the right reasons! A family vacation. We keep reading on here about these parents who are looking for how much time they can dump their kids so they can have their own free time.

My daughter went to Kids Club when she wanted to. She really enjoyed many of the activities and, at least with her, making new friends. (she is very social). On the Star she hardly ever missed kids club, but this year on the Dawn, she didn't go as much because the activities didn't appeal to her. When she chose not to go, we just did other things as a family.

Impulsive Puppy was right about everything with one exception: to take advantage of the babysitting, a child must still be two years of age. Also, if any child is not potty trained, then the parents will be given a beeper and be called when the child needs changed. (regular kids club or the group sitting.)

The minimum age to enter a kids program is impacted by the liability insurance that the line has chosen. If they indicate to their insurance broker that their age limit is 2YO or 3YO, the insurance company determines the risk and bases their coverage on that rule. Thus the minimum age to enter the program is pretty much set in stone - if your child board while 2YO and turns 3 while on board, he will be denied entry to the program for the entire cruise.

As to the age groupings within the program, the line pretty much controls those. Some are very inflexible, while other lines show some flexibility. Most parents believe that their child is superior to all others (I of course KNOW mine is! :D ), so the lines need to have some rules upon which their staff can fall back upon ("hey it's not MY fault", the councelor says, "it's the rule!").

Some of these kids are NOT ready for the next age group - and while they say they are miserable with the younger kids, their lack of maturity might just impact the enjoyment that the kids legitimately in the older group.

As hard as it may seem to not be able to age a kid up when we are talking days or weeks, that same child may find a 1/2 dozen other kids in the same situation. they can all ban together and have a wonderful time. If not, I guess the kids will spend more time with the family, which also is alright. I have seen other kids and our grandkids, depending on their age decide to hang out by the pool, do shore excursions and forget Kids camp. NMNita

Don't expect any flexibility on the age groupings from NCL.

On our recent cruise on the Dawn, we also found one of the counselor's to be very rude(not sure I would call here Hitler-like) when I asked about moving my 9 1/2 yr old into the 10-12 group to be with her 10 1/2 yr old sister. I don't know what was more annoying the take it or leave it attitude of the counselor or the lack of response from the Kid's crew manager. We were told we would get a call from Candace(the manager), but the call never came. We talked to more than one crew member regarding the policy. They all had the same take it or leave it attitude.

My 9 1/2 decided to try the 6-9 age group one afternoon. The activity posted on the kids crew daily was 'meet the Jean Ryan dancers'. She really enjoyed the dance shows and was very excited to meet them. When we showed up, the actual activity was ice cream sundaes with Mr. Bubbles and Mr. Sprinkles...she lasted in the club for 15 minutes before I signed her out.

In my opinion, NCL should revisit its age group breakdowns. There is alot of difference in maturity, and likes/dislikes between a 6 yr old and a 9 yr old. Just as there is with a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old.

Also, the take it or leave attitude was not very service minded considering that in theory kids crew is part of what I paid for in my cruise fare

Don't expect any flexibility on the age groupings from NCL.

On our recent cruise on the Dawn, we also found one of the counselor's to be very rude(not sure I would call here Hitler-like) when I asked about moving my 9 1/2 yr old into the 10-12 group to be with her 10 1/2 yr old sister. I don't know what was more annoying the take it or leave it attitude of the counselor or the lack of response from the Kid's crew manager. We were told we would get a call from Candace(the manager), but the call never came. We talked to more than one crew member regarding the policy. They all had the same take it or leave it attitude.

My 9 1/2 decided to try the 6-9 age group one afternoon. The activity posted on the kids crew daily was 'meet the Jean Ryan dancers'. She really enjoyed the dance shows and was very excited to meet them. When we showed up, the actual activity was ice cream sundaes with Mr. Bubbles and Mr. Sprinkles...she lasted in the club for 15 minutes before I signed her out.

In my opinion, NCL should revisit its age group breakdowns. There is alot of difference in maturity, and likes/dislikes between a 6 yr old and a 9 yr old. Just as there is with a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old.

Also, the take it or leave attitude was not very service minded considering that in theory kids crew is part of what I paid for in my cruise fare

I agree with part of what you say, but certainly not all of it: as for the counsilors being rude though I am surprised, this can happen. I am sure, but normally they get very good reviews, so lets hope your experience was an isolated case. I would have taken it even a step further if I was treated rudely. NCL is known for the kids program and they certainly don't want snotty kids crew members. I also agree with the age breakdown, but this is pretty much the same all cruiselines use. A few use 5-8 and 9-12. Think of the difference between a young 5 year old and a kid just a week or two from 9 or a 9 year old with kids that are just under 13. The only way they could change this would be to add an entire new age brackett. It may come to that, but you are still going to get the same complaints: my 5 and 3/4 yr old shoudl be with 6 and 7 year olds. I think they have to have and stick with the age policy, regardless of what it is. As for you paying for the kids program in theory: I don't think I agree on that one: if you did, what about me and all the others who don't have young ones? Did we and should we pay for your kids? Actually you get a price break for the extra kids if you shared a cabin. I know what you are saying, but I don't totally agree. NMNita

I was suprised by the rudeness as well. Nothing is free on a cruise- All services offered on the ship are somehow included in the cruise fare or have extra charges associated with them.

jsil, it would definitely annoy me if my child was looking forward to one activity and had it switched without notice. There's a big difference between meeting the Jean Ann Ryan Dancers and making ice cream sundaes. Did they even explain why the change was made?

I have no doubt that the rudeness you reported is true and unexaggerated. I wonder, though, if she had just received similar requests from other pax and took it out on you. This does not condone it, of course, but is one reason I believe that all lines have become more strict about keeping kids in their proper age group. Imagine if one kid was moved but another wasn't.

To all -- I still don't understand the need to push kids up into an older age group. As I asked earlier -- is it driven by the kids or the parents?

The change was made because it was July 4th. Not sure why that is was July 4th mattered; but that is what I was told.

I am not sure what drives the majority of request, but my request to change age groups was driven by my daughter. She took a look at the activities in both age groups. The activities for the 10-12 group were more appealing to her and in my opinion more age appropriate for a 9 yr old.

Onboard ships, rules made at the corporate level are meant to be followed just like orders from the Captain of the ship.

When rules are bent, lawsuits follow. Not following written, established, and publicized rules is grounds for negligence in a court of law. Supposed a larger child of 12 got rough with your almost age 10 child, would you file a lawsuit? I bet you would.

Life aboard a ship isn't a democracy, its a hierarchy, with the Captain being King.

No matter how the age groups are divided, families are bound to have one child in one group and the other child in another. The kids may not ever play together at home, but faced with a group of strangers they suddenly become very attached to each other. I think it would be especially hard with 3 children, where 2 are together & 1 is alone, or when you take a cousin/friend for a playmate but the groups are split by age.

Anyway, any cruise line is going to split the groups somewhere, and it's going to mean your kids are in different groups. Read up on the age limits before you go, assume they are set in stone & choose your cruise so your kids can stay together if that's important. My kids never particularly cared for the kids clubs when they were younger, so we did things as a family.

I am stuck in a similar situation. We are taking 4 kids on board, aged 7, 10, 12 and 13. Our 12 year old son will be 2 weeks shy of his 13th birthday and is only 5 months younger that our 13 year old. The 12 year old is a foot taller than our 13 year old and they do everything together, so it would highly offend our 12 year old to put him with the "little" kids and put his step-brother with the "teens". I can relate to the other parent, it isn't as cut and dried as some make it out to be. There should be some flexibility depending on people's situation. Our daughters will be separated, but that is fine, they are 3 years apart. We will see if we can have it changed on board and if not, we won't put them in the teen's club, because we won't put one in and not the other. I know my almost 13 year old would be completely bummed if they don't allow him to be with his step-brother. I'd rather keep them both out.

I hope we have decent kids crew staff and that they understand, maybe they will, maybe they won't. We were on an NCL cruise 2 years ago and our kids were in the clubs and absolutely loved it and the staff were awesome then, so they are all looking forward to it again, here's hoping it works out to keep the kids happy. It is alot of money to spend to have an unhappy teenager on board!!

Browniegirl

Archived