Teipei 101

lois1112

I am sailing on the Saphine princess in November from Bangkok to Bejing. One of the trips is to see Teipei "on your own" they drop you at Teipei 101 . does anyone know the area? can I walk around the area? should I just take a sightseeing trip?

Taipei 101 is a hugh skyscraper located in a major shopping area. Lots to see if you like shopping and eating.

We traveled independently in Taipei a few years ago. You can get around by bus or walking to the major sites. You must have Taiwanese money. The National Museum is awesome. Chiang Kai Shek took a bunch of priceless antiques and art out of China during WWII for safekeeping. Definitely the highlight of our visit. :)

• 3 months later...

Taipei 101 is a must-see itself. Make sure you go up to the observation deck. Do go down to the food court at the basement. All kinds of food at very reasonable prices. That whole area is a shopping place, you will have a lot to see. Otherwise, take a taxi and you can get anywhere you want easily. Yes, definitely go to the National Museum. I would also recommend the Chang Kai-Shek Memorial, but I am not sure if it's a good idea right now. It's located near the Presidential building where demonstrations had been taking place in the last few weeks.

"101" is located in the newer south-east district with wider streets and newer buildings. The international designer shops (open at 11:00am daily) occupy mostly the lower 4 floors with restaurants and coffee shops (open at 10:00am) on the 5th floor. Less expensive shops and carts, including a local 7-11 filled in the basement section. From the observation desk at 89th floor, we saw nothing spectacular but the other building roofs.

We just got back from the Sapphire and had Taipei as a port stop. Taipei is a large city. Taipei 101 is definitely a must see but seeing the rest of the high points might be tough. Think of being let off on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and trying to see some of the high points in Los Angeles.

We booked a private tour while there and it was great. We stopped for about 45 minutes at Taipei 101 but saw several other interesting sites. If there are 4 of you, price is cheaper than the ship tour. We shared with another couple from our roll call. If you want my info, e-mail me at sandy@riskin.net

Sandy

We just got back from the Sapphire and had Taipei as a port stop. Taipei is a large city. Taipei 101 is definitely a must see but seeing the rest of the high points might be tough. Think of being let off on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and trying to see some of the high points in Los Angeles.

We booked a private tour while there and were very pleased. We stopped for about 45 minutes at Taipei 101 but saw several other interesting sites, including the famous Grand Hotel. If there are 4 of you, the price is cheaper than the ship tour. We shared with another couple from our roll call. If you want my info, e-mail me at sandy@riskin.net

Sandy

The taxi fare by meter from the Keelung taxi stand (a 5-min. walk from our gangway) to "101" was $625 local currency (US$20). The 40-min. ride along the freeway and main streets for 4 of us was very smooth.

Hi Member:

we are on the Sapphire as of November 11th, when you arranged the taxi into Taipei, did the taxi driver stay with you or did you get another to come back??

if you prefer my e mail is hergie3@juno.com

we have been considering taking the Train into Taipei did anyone in your group try this.

appreciate any info

Thankyou

Jean (another Canadian)

Out at the Keelung dock, most front-running taxi drivers asked for TWD$1,200 one-way ride to Taipei. We ignored them to walk across the parking lot for one that took us by the metre (and agreed on $625). We noticed there were tons of taxis (most were empty) in Taipei so we let him go to take the returning ride on one in front of the Hyatt Hotel right across from 101 Centre at the similar cost.

Others that took the train said on the return ride, they need to change train once on that day.

Archived