I’m Onboard Celebrity Century – Got Any Questions?

Hi Carolyn,

I've been all too excited, anxiously awaiting the installments of "Travels with Ginger," only to discover that she got displaced and can't meet you until Stockholm! What an unbelievable comedown for you. (...and for her, I might add...)

Still, I know you approached it with your usual "ship happens" attitude and just went with the flow. And then, after your dashed expectations of boarding together, to be treated so rudely. I can definitely feel your pain.

Carolyn, I hate to say it, but my experience on Mercury last fall was similar and I wasn't alone. My [adult] daughter was with me. The biggest difference between that experience and yours is that the food was not good either! Being ignored was one thing; being ignored with lousy food raises it to a whole new level! And yet, my experience on Millennium was 180-degrees different; happy staff, accommodating service, excellent dining. Too bad there's so little consistency.

I can't wait to hear more.

Jana

Carolyn ~ Of course you filled out an "Attention to Detail" card. The Hotel Manager needs to know of poor and/or discourteous service ASAP. On most X ships the "Card" gets an immediate response from the HM and most of the time the problem goes away, mostly. ~ Rick

Ocngypz, that is amazing, I can't believe it's like a system! Sad...but thank you for the insights and sorry for you, too!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn:

The formal night event you described.. well... I am not surprised. Sorry you had to be subjected to it. It's happened to me a number of times (not formal night though).... while sailing solo.... on Celebrity. The first time it was on Millennium, the last time... on Century. The last time I had to laugh... the waitstaff knew who I was... the Restaurant Manager.. was clueless about everything, even their seating software. Imagine his face, when he saw me at the Captain's Table the following night.

Bar staff are notorious for ignoring single women. Unless you sit at the bar, they ignore you. Why? I don't know. Even when I travel with one of my female friends, we will play a game. We seat ourselves separately in one of the lounges and see how long it takes for a barwaiter to ask for our order.

Since that is how they get paid, one would think, they would constantly move from table to table enquiring.. especially when there are no glasses on the table!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have noticed though, female barstaff do a much better job!!!!

Training, training, training!

Hang in there.

You hit the proverbial pin on the head, Anne! Thing is, sure someone on assignment could go to the hotel director and say something but that's not right. It would maybe (not even necessarily) make my stay more pleasant but how would it help the next traveler?

They don't have a clue in the dining room or in any of the bars...and we'll hope it stays that way! I don't hope, though, that the poor service (it's not always poor, sometimes it's quite excellent) doesn't stay that way. There's no need for it and it's not fair to people who are paying passengers. I think of the bearded guy who I'll mention in my next post -- I don't know if he realized, in his angst, how rude the maitre'd was, but from where I sit? Rude.

By the by have gone up to the Spa Cafe (lovely spread) and the sushi bar (ummmm). After tonight, my last splurge at Murano, I'm going healthy all the way, LOL.

Carolyn

Carolyn ~ I'm curious to see if you'll agree with me here. I'm glad they didn't know who you were. How can someone get an honest feel for something if the staff knows ahead of time who your employer is and treats you a certain way because of it. I want to be treated well because I'm a customer just like all the other passengers who have spent their hard earned money to sail on a particular ship. All passengers deserve courteous and respectful service, not just the ones staff believes to be "important." Had they known who Carolyn was and treated her a different way because she works for Cruise Critic, we'd never get an unbiased view of services and the cruise.

Yes, I want to have great service, food and overall cruise experience. But I don't want it because of an association with an employer or someone I know. I want it because that's what good businesses provide to their customers.

I'm anxious to hear about your dining experience on subsequent evenings.

Gosh it’s been the most gorgeous, gorgeous day imaginable. As mentioned before, glass like seas (still!), warm sun, just cool-enough air to chill you down. The best sea day for pool loungers around – even I took a turn on a lounge chair!

I bearded the lion so to speak and went to the dining room for lunch. It was fine. When food is good it’s very, very very good (apricot soup, fantastic apple caramel dessert); the steak in the steak sandwich was mealy and a bit … off-putting. Service was fine. One funny thing. There was a bearded man who was obviously concerned about dinner table arrangement and he’d come by at lunchtime to talk with one of the maitre ‘ds (tall, cold-eyed men in grey jackets, mostly). The bearded guy was polite and sweet and a bit over-anxious and, watching from my vantage point (a table for two with a delicious trashy novel) I noticed when the restaurant staffer decided the matter was solved. He turned his back on bearded guy even though bearded guy was almost running to keep up with him, talking to his back.

What’s up with that?

Onward: I was wondering: beyond guidebooks and such, what books or movies have y’all read or watched to prepare for this trip? It’s been interesting to see other peoples’ poolside reading materials – one lady was reading Anais Nin in French, another was reading a Dan Brown novel in German (title? No idea!) and a third, an erudite looking gent, was reading Nicholas & Alexandra. I’ve got a couple (ranging from the obviously classic to the contemporary) of favorites, by itinerary, but I would love to learn from you guys.

Okay mine (don’t have one for every port):

Copenhagen: Hans Christian Anderson, natch.

Amsterdam: Diary of Anne Frank. (movie) Ocean’s 12.

Helsinki: Don’t have anything!

Tallinn: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (it reminds me of the medieval town where kids weren’t allowed)

Stockholm: Don’t have anything

St. Petersburg: I discovered this fabulous series of novels (Russian Rosamunde Pilcher) written by Paullina Simons. Title of the first and most important is “The Bronze Horseman.” Fabulous book about a young girl from St. Petersburg who falls in love with an (equally) young Russian soldier just at the outbreak of WWII – and what they go through. It’s so real and so evocative and just fabulous that you have to feel that the writer must have found a trove of letters et al from her mother or grandmother. Movie: I want to say The Siege of Leningrad. It’s starring Jude Law and Rachel Weisz. Awesome.

Carolyn

There's little to read or see of that nature about Helsinki.

1. Listen to a Sibelius piece or two; best are Finlandia and Karelia Suite. They bring out images of Finland and its personality. (Karelia is the area east of Helsinki and is the last population center before Russia. The history of the region, especially during WWII is quite interesting.)

2. Watch the movie Gorky Park (1983, Lee Marvin, Brian Donnehy) that was filmed in Helsinki; much of it in the Senate square and market square area.

Carolyn, thanks for the continued updates:)

I am re-reading all your postings...the Maitr'd turned his

back on the bearded guy???:eek: :(

How unprofessional is that?....

I guess I have been very lucky on my cruises with X...and

I hope my treatment on Millie is better than what you have

been receiving.

I still think you ought to see the Hotel Director~as you said,

if it helps the next person, we would be very greatful.

And just curious, are you dining solo at Muranos?

Carolyn,

More than anything, I admire your courage in telling us about your tears. Shame on Celebrity personnel for making you feel that way, and good for you that you are managing just fine as the cruise progresses. I hope the rest of your trip is thoroughly enjoyable. Rude people suck.

In slight defense of Floris - emphasis on the word slight - I can't help but wonder what kind of responses you would have gotten had you reported the exact same event as an anonymous and/or first-time poster. I can't help but feel that some of the same people who are trumpeting their support for you might have called you just another "Celebrity basher" if you weren't who you are. I suspect a few of them would have readily supported and echoed Floris' comments in that scenario. People should really look at themselves a little more closely. Hypocrisy is an easy state of mind. At least Floris, misguided though his comments were IMO, is consistent. Perhaps he would have managed better, but that in no way negates the emotions you experienced.

My advice: for the next formal night, dress up to the absolute fabulous extreme (maybe even buy yourself a nice new accessory) and enjoy yourself no matter what!!!

Carolyn:

While onboard Century last year I was given the email of the assistant hotel manager who was our host at the Captain's table on a formal night. I tried to email him because I want management to know what the staff is not doing what they are supposed to do.. The famous Celebrity treatment... The email was returned undeliverable. I called Captain's club who patched me through to customer service in Miami. She opened the cruise critic link.. the #13 post and read it. I asked her to email the ship about a Customer Service problem. She refused and said that it was up to the passenger to resolve the issue with management onboard without Head Office involvement..

Sorry but I'm so angry right now :mad:

I am glad that there are not a bunch of apologists posting right now that even Celebrity s*** smells like roses. Anne would be forced to yank another one of my tirades....:o

Carolyn,

I am sitting here with my jaw dropped as I read the account of your dining experience on formal night. Unacceptable is not strong enought a word... you would think that the maitre d' of all people would know how to treat their guests in a polite and inviting fashion - especially a single woman. I am saddened to read that this unfortunately is not even a rare occurence, and it reminded me of my business trip last month. I was dining alone at a restaurant, and the "hostess" continued to seat parties who arrived after me. When I questioned her, she became quite irate and basically ignored me. I finally was seated after about 40 minutes (original quote was 10-15 minutes), at which point I was promptly ignored by my waiter :rolleyes: Similar treatment when I checked into the Hilton in Manhattan with 2 large pieces of luggage... the bellboys looked through me as if I wasn't there. I guess it's assumed that a gal with 2 bags won't tip as well as a gentleman, his wife and 10 bags...

Nu2sea: have a look at our Century photos, made while in Amsterdam. The new balconies are added - kind of hanging on the outside of the ship. The old balconies are still "inside the ship".

Check:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Century%20at%20cruiseterminal%20Amsterdam/

Ine, I have downloaded and enlarged the photos you are talking about and there is not enough detail to see clearly what the balconies look like which is why I was trying to ask someone who was on board. But since there are other issues that are keeping Carolyn busy, I appreciate your help.

Susan

Anne I didn't alert the hotel director because I'm trying to be a passenger (regular) and most folks wouldn't do that. On the other hand I probably should alert the restaurant manager, whoever that is, but whoever said last night wasn't the time...was right on!

Carolyn,

I'm so sorry that your cruise started with such a bad experience. I hope it improves. I for one, would certainly visit the restaurant manager and send a note to the hotel director if I had an experience like yours. (And I'm sure I would have been in tears too).

I don't see how this experince would lead anyone to think that you are a lonely person. Having read your postings before, I know that you are someone who enjoys cruising but had a bad experience. There are posters on this board who cannot stand to hear negative about Celebrity - it is always the cruiser's fault, never the cruise line. It's hard to post objective comments without getting flamed.

Let us know how tonight goes. I hope the rest of your cruise is fabulous!

Linda

Carolyn,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to post here. We really appreciate it.

It is (as you say) extremely important for you to remain "incognito" while making these onboard observations, but speaking to the Restaurant Manger - without telling him who you are - is the correct thing to do. I have sailed on Celebrity many times and have occasionally recieved this type of service too (from the maitre' d's). BUT, it is the exception. It is amazing how "clueless" some of these guys are though. They just do not realize that their bad actions - even to just one person - can cause a tsunami of ill will. One bad maitre' d out of a whole ship, can cause disaster (even though it seems like Century has a bunch of bad eggs this cruise).

I have MOSTLY had excellent service on X, but there are always exceptions. I have never traveled alone on a cruise. But, sometimes - even with my husband - we have had issues.

So, I am saying this - for those of you that are thinking about canceling your X cruises - this is not NORMAL. Give them a chance. But, if something should happen that is NOT TO YOUR SATISFACTION while on board, tell someone. Use that "Attention to Detail" card, or tell the restaurant manger or talk to the Hotel Director. But do NOT keep it to yourself. They can never learn from their mistakes unless you make the problem "visable".

We actually prefer to send a written message (to whomever we need to) because we can take the time to think it through and put exactly what we want to say in the right words. Also, the written message can not be misinterpreted. It can also be sent "up the ladder" if required.

Once again, let me say to Carolyn, thank you for sharing this. You are not alone. We are watching out here!!!

Carolyn:

We are boarding Century on Sept 2 and hope that this employee rudness issue somehow gets resolved. I was in the service business for 30 yrs and know how a customer should be treated, like a guest in your home.

Rudeness is not acceptable in any curmunstance - let alone to a woman traveling alone. I traveled extentsively by my self before and even after getting married. Other countries cultures and customs did cause some grief but I was never treated so rudely to cause me to tear up, and I am basically a very shy person. Just leave me alone with a book and I am fine.

Hopefully the cruise and ship will treat you better as you sail along.

Question - If you meet anyone in a Sky Suite or talk to the Hotel Manager:

What is the difference between what the butler is expected to do for passengers in a suite on Century as comparred to the same passenger on Murcury? The reason I ask is that the web site it has 2 different lists of what the Butler will do for a suite passenger on Century or on Murcury. I just want a clarification if you can get it. Thanks

Enjoy your cruise and we are all appreciating your very great reviews.

Francine

It must be admitted that I’ve long thought the Baltic one of the most boring seas in the world. It’s flat. The land around it is flat. It’s surface (not to mention skies) is usually gray and grim.

Not so this trip. The sky is light and blue-pink-purple (the sun is setting to the west, though my balcony faces east). We’re getting nearer to the archipelago that leads to Stockholm and I see low-lying, forested hillside-islands off to my right (starboard). Today, at the heart-warming Cruise Critic meeting in Michael’s Pub, I interrupted conversation about St. Petersburg to say – wait! Before we get there, don’t miss what is truly the most beautiful part of our water journey and that’s the Swedish archipelago. Hundreds (if not more, I’m sure someone will correct me J if I’m wrong) of low-lying islands that lead us into Stockholm, dotted here and there with gorgeous and simple summer cabins in reds, yellows, greens, pinks.

My first ever trip to the Baltic, on Royal Caribbean’s Brilliance of the Seas, we arrived too early in Stockholm to enjoy the view – but our departure was magical. I skipped dinner that night (and I was part of a great table so that’s saying something J) ) and sat on my balcony and just…dreamed… as the scenery rolled by.

Little did I know that a half-a-decade later I’d marry a man from Finland which itself has an equally gorgeous archipelago (though big ships don’t tend to travel through it).

So at the Cruise Critic meeting I said “please don’t miss it” and the gorgeousness of this itinerary is that we don’t arrive until 10:30 a.m. so the two hour approach to the city, through one of the world’s most beautiful scenic wonders, is a perfect way to start the day.

And Stockholm’s no slouch either. I spent four days there last November (I’m writing a mini-break feature for Cruise Critic) and that, coupled with the port days spent there before, has spurred a love affair. So much so that in my mini-break (not yet finished; we’ll let you know) I end the intro this way (sorry, sweetheart!):

Indeed, on a recent four day trek in Stockholm, seeking out both traditional and more off-the-track activities, hotels, restaurants, shops and neighborhoods for families, romance-seekers and seniors, I listened with envy to a tour guide, an American from Florida, who’d married a Swede. Not because she married a Swede, necessarily, but because now she gets to live here. No way was my visit long enough and I’ll be back. But my mini-break in Stockholm was a great start.

What a treat to have a day just to play. My job, which may sound glamorous, isn’t always that (er, won’t even go into the dining room fiasco) but tomorrow I intend to poke around and just…play (I adore the old town, known as Gamla Stan, and I want to take a ferry out into the archipelago, time permitting). I’ll come back though, with some very concrete ideas (though you can also check our port profile).

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I am very sorry for your formal evening.

We sailed the New Century 15 June (the first Baltic cruise) and got a great time. We enjoyed the cruise very much. The Swedish Archipello was gorgeous.

Have you met Ms. Ngawira Fleet? She was the one responsible for hosting our CC parties. What a great job she does on the Century. Please send my regards to her.( from Brigitte - Gitte)

Have a great cruise.

Gitte

Swedish Archipello

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

Carolyn,

You mention taking a ferry in the Stockholm Archipelago. Forget ferries - take a steamboat! The best is the STORSKÄR. Built in 1908, she is the grande dame of the Archipelago. She is still largely original - and importantly, is still a steamboat. (Most of the other old steamboats have had their steam engines yanked out in favor of diesels.) I cannot think of anything more delightful than a trip aboard her on a nice day!

She leaves Stockholm at noon and arrives at 3:30 PM. See the Waxholmsbolaget web site for more information.

Here's what I wrote about her last year:

Being a ship nut, I naturally am always searching for things of a maritime persuasion to do wherever I go, and in Stockholm I was presented with an unbelievable opportunity – a cruise in the Stockholm Archipelago on an authentic early 20th Century steamboat. After some research, I decided on an afternoon on Waxholmbolaget’s SS STORSKÄR, a real veteran of the archipelago dating from 1908. I had heard wonderful things about this boat from several people – in fact I am indebted to Bruce Peter, Geoff Hamer, and several others for suggesting her in the first place – and couldn’t wait to try her out myself. After a lovely walk through Stockholm, we arrived at the Grand Hotel, in front of which is the quay which serves as the base for Waxholmbolaget’s archipelago fleet. I could hardly contain my joy to see STORSKÄR – as well as another, slightly newer Waxholmbolaget veteran, SS NORSKÄR, dating to 1910 – already berthed in front of the hotel.

We had arrived very early for the noon departure, as we weren’t sure how early to arrive. It turned out that tickets are sold on board, and boarding starts only 20 minutes before departure – so being there over an hour early didn’t do us much good. At any rate, fortunately, we happened to be in the middle of a beautiful city, so we just went off again on our impromptu walking tour, discovering the beautiful Royal Palace and the equally beautiful Swedish parliament building, among other things. While walking, we watched NORSKÄR depart for the Archipelago – a magnificent sight, particularly when she sounded her steam whistle, steam billowing out of it in best QUEEN MARY (Or, seeing as she’s a Swedish ship, should I say DROTTNINGHOLM?) fashion.

Just before the appointed time, we returned to find a considerably queue of people awaiting the opening of the gate that would let them aboard the STORSKÄR. While waiting, we were paid an unexpected visit from Ted and Suellyn. Ted was clearly holding back his deep regret at not being able to join us, while Suellyn was holding back her sorrow for my poor parents whom I was dragging on this old tub with me. At any rate, Ted promised to witness our departure and take a few slides as we set off on our cruise-within-a-cruise to the surroundings of Stockholm.

Soon after bidding farewell to the Sculls, it was our turn to board the magnificent STORSKÄR. As we stepped on board, it was interesting to note that wooden steamer chairs were set up on her bow – already occupied by some Swedes who obviously knew what they were doing and snapped them up early on. We then went in to her lower deck saloon, a very Spartan but evocative space which clearly must have originally been the province of her second-class passengers. Varnished wooden decks, wooden benches, and cream-colored painted steel bulkheads and overheads, complete with exposed wiring and plumbing and vintage brass light fixtures create the feeling of stepping back in time, perhaps to a tender ready to take one out to OLYMPIC or AQUITANIA. Of particular interest, on the port side there is a hatch from which one can look into her engine room with its three-cylinder reciprocating steam engine. After having a look, we made our way to the stern where we ascended a very grand wooden staircase up to her upper deck, first peering into a wonderful obviously former first-class saloon at her stern that was splendidly decorated with wood paneling, red velvet upholstery and curtains, crystal light fixtures, and the like. Only dark grey linoleum decking which was presumably a replacement for something less durable – perhaps carpet – impeded on the authentic air.

Old first-class spaces continue on the upper deck with another lovely saloon aft, a most elegant foyer at the top of the staircase, and forward, an extraordinarily elegant dining saloon with similar furnishings and table set with white linens, china, crystal and silver in the tradition of the finest shipboard restaurants. As a bonus, the place of the linoleum is taken by a very tasteful patterned carpet that blended perfectly with the sumptuous décor.

While the only outdoor space on the lower deck is on the bow, the upper deck is ringed by a covered, varnished wood promenade deck (it seems rather common among Scandinavians to varnish wooden decks, something not customarily done elsewhere) with more of the ubiquitous (and, I might add, very comfortable) varnished benches. The aft part of the upper deck, above that lovely aft saloon on the lower deck, is entirely outdoors; covered, bisected by a fenestrated bulkhead which serves as a windbreak and furnished with more benches as well as some nice varnished tables, this is a prime location for those wishing to spend their voyage outdoors. As the weather was so lovely, we forewent sitting in one of the saloons, however elegant, and parked ourselves on a comfortable bench to the port side of the windbreak.

Soon the steam engine was started, and after sounding that wonderful steam whistle – a sound to send shivers down the spine of a steamship enthusiast – we slid away from the quay and began to make our way into the Archipelago. Before long we were passing by Stadsgården, where the Viking Line terminal was once again occupied, this time by the ever-imposing MARIELLA which, like ROTTERDAM, had arrived from Helsinki (she left earlier and arrived later, but stopped along the way in Åland while we took a direct route, so I guess I won’t boast about our greater speed…). “Our” ROTTERDAM was of course there as well, and indeed this was one of the better photo opportunities of the cruise for taking snaps of our ship.

After making our way out of Stockholm harbor, we glided out into the Inner Archipelago – and, much to my surprise, we soon found ourselves making a stop. The Waxholmsbolaget brochure had described this voyage as a “lunch cruise in the inner archipelago” – it made no mention of stops whatsoever, so I was understandably surprised to find that it was in fact a regular local archipelago service, albeit one operated by a rather special ship! Now, this wouldn’t have affected my decision anyway, but I do think that perhaps a bit more disclosure on Waxholmsbolaget’s part might be in order so as to avoid confusion among the uninitiated such as myself.

At any rate, the Stockholm Archipelago is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen, and cruising through it in a wonderful vintage steamer like STORSKÄR is sheer bliss.

The main stop along STORSKÄR’s route is Vaxholm, the capital of the Archipelago and a very attractive little town in its own right. We had thought that perhaps we might want to disembark and have a look round, so asked the man at the ticket counter how long she would be staying in Vaxholm. “About two more minutes” was his response. Later we found out that about an hour later, she returned to Vaxholm to take passengers to Stockholm – it was not, as I had surmised, the furthest point of her trip – so we could actually have disembarked and then re-joined her on her next call. I certainly would have liked to have a look at Vaxholm while we were there. Ah well, live and learn.

Having disgorged most of her passengers, STORSKÄR was mostly empty until she returned to Vaxholm, and I set out to find a bite to eat in her on-board cafeteria. This turned out to be situated below the main deck, in a small but extremely charming little saloon with white-painted raised-panel bulkheads, varnished trim, a couple of banquettes in a handsome green velvet, brass portholes and fixtures, and a very “nautical” ambiance. Of course, there is also a counter from which various food and drink items are sold. Being rather hungry (it was probably past 1 PM at this point), I enquired to the young man behind the counter as to what kind of food was available – and for the first and only time in Scandinavia, found that he did not understand English. (It may seem odd that I was surprised at this, but in Scandinavia virtually everyone speaks English very well.) After pondering my question for a few minutes, muttered “fisk” to himself a couple of times, and then went into the kitchen where he had an animated conversation with the cook in Swedish, in which the word “fisk” was again very prominent. He then emerged, clearly thinking he’d got the answer to my question. His reply was, quite simply, “herring fish”. At this point it became readily apparent that he’d thought I was asking him what sort of fish they had available – hence all the talk about “fisk”. I didn’t want herring – I actually had my eye on some sandwiches which many of the Swedish passengers seemed to have bought – but I decided not to belabor the matter any further, and bought some bottled water and a sweet roll, which thankfully did not contain herring. (I might add that a significant number of my long-deceased ancestors hailed from the Baltic region, and some older members of my family do enjoy herring, but personally I can’t stand the stuff…)

As we got farther away from Stockholm, the scenery became more and more indescribably beautiful, and we stopped at a wide range of tiny Archipelago towns, dropping off a few passengers and taking on a few new ones at each one. As we sailed through the Archipelago, I spotted Birka Line’s short-cruise ship BIRKA PRINCESS making her approach into Stockholm, and then an even more splendid sight, Ånedin Linjen’s 1953-built BIRGER JARL, looking wonderful in the sun.

Eventually we turned round and began making our way back to Stockholm, stopping again at Vaxholm where we took on a large number of passengers, entirely changing the atmosphere on board back to the much busier one that prevailed when we first boarded. As the trip came to an end and we approached Stockholm harbor, we passed ROTTERDAM and MARIELLA again, and then past BIRKA PRINCESS, now berthed at the Birka Line terminal. Finally, after a lovely journey of just over three hours, we disembarked.

Anyhow, have fun... I love Stockholm! It's my favorite of the Scandinavian capitals, followed closely by Copenhagen, then Helsinki and, in a distant fourth, Oslo.

Sorry to hear of your lousy treatment onboard Celebrity.

Our first X Cruise was Feb 2005 on board Mercury- we thought we had died and gone to heaven In sept 2005 I spent 14 days on board Summit and for New Years we spent 11 nights on Galaxy. Nothing could match the awesome experience on Mercury and after I returned from Summit I cancelled our much anticipated 14 night Hawaii on Summit. Our next cruise is on RCl and then we will visit Hawaii on carnival Spirit with a Verandah for a fraction of the price our O/V would have cost on Summit. We are also Booked on RCL Navigator for 13 nights in Nov 2007. If we cannot find happiness on RCL we will be returning to HAL.

I am thinking maybe the Celebrity experience we had on Mercury was an anomoly. We did not receive horrible treatment on our other 2 X cruises, but just average, something we could have got on any main stream line for far less $$

Dear Carolyn,

We have been on the Century twice- the first time we had such an excellent time that we talked friends into going the next year- While it was still a good trip there were small things that were different. When we went to the dining room we asked to change tables- when the matire de moved us the waiter was upset and did not hide it. The waiter and the matire de discussed it right in front of us. I finally said something because i was felt badly in front of my friends. The waiter treated me rudely the entire week. I am sorr;y for your dining room experience.

Anyway the my first sailing on century they had fresh blueberries and strawberries served with the waffles- 2nd cruise it was that canned compote stuff- what are they using now? Have you had waffles.

I still find the food superior to the other cruises i have been on- there was a farfale and salmon dish that was excellent :)

Chris

St. Petersburg: I discovered this fabulous series of novels (Russian Rosamunde Pilcher) written by Paullina Simons. Title of the first and most important is “The Bronze Horseman.” Fabulous book about a young girl from St. Petersburg who falls in love with an (equally) young Russian soldier just at the outbreak of WWII – and what they go through. It’s so real and so evocative and just fabulous that you have to feel that the writer must have found a trove of letters et al from her mother or grandmother. Movie: I want to say The Siege of Leningrad. It’s starring Jude Law and Rachel Weisz. Awesome.

Carolyn

That movie is "Enemy at the Gates" and it takes place in Stalingrad during a pivotal battle in the Great Patriotic War. It's very lo0sely based on the book "Notes of a Sniper" by the famed Soviet sniper Vassili Zaitsev. After reading the book and seeing the movie, I just had to go out and get a Soviet Mosin-Nagant 91/30 scoped rifle. It just oozes history (and a heck of a fireball)

I see that I've strayed, back to cruising...

Archived