16" Of Gold - Woe Is Me!!

Oh dear, after two months of continuous wear, the gold is wearing off my Inch of Gold Chain bought on the Jewel in May.

I do have the receipt, but can't return it 'cos I am in Europe at present.

Does this mean that I really do need to cruise every two months in order to wear a chain in good condition? Do I get a free cruise each time in order to get another chain? I hope so!!!

Anyone else have any experience of this? Cost the huge price of $20 - don't tell me two months is all I can expect!! Sensible suggestions please! But I don't expect there will be any.

A prize for the best suggestion................. and the prize is ............. a two months old gold chain!!!

They are not gold, but gold plated. I bought a bracelet and got less wear than 2 months. They say they have a lifetime warranty and you have to keep the receipt etc, but the cost of sending it in, waiting to get a new one, etc, not worth the headaches.

Sorry dont have a suggestion.

Since the inch of gold is only gold plated, when I have gottn home I take clear nail polish and give it a coat or two I have been wearing my inch of gold ankle bracelet for 5 years and it is still as good as gold. (sorry couldn't resist).

As for the suggestion call RCCL and see what they can do. I do think it was guaranteed but I am not sure about this.

If it is, I am going on the Explorer in Sept I would be happy to have it exchanged for you if you send it to me.

Sue

Hi

I have a few pieces from "Inch of Gold" and a clasp broke on one of my bracelets. I brought it with me on another cruise and they fixed it, no questions asked.

I never wear the "Inch of Gold" jewelry in the shower and use a jewelry cloth to clean it. Due to it being gold plated, I'm very careful with it. So far I've been lucky with the other pieces that I own.

I am lucky, I have had mine for 4 years and it still looks brand new. :)

They will replace them for you if you have the warranty paper that came with them. I still keep mine in the little pouch with the paper.

Oh dear, after two months of continuous wear, the gold is wearing off my Inch of Gold Chain bought on the Jewel in May.

You're lucky it lasted that long, wearing it 24hr/day for two months is 5-10 years worth at one evening a week.

2ladies :D

Best suggestion.....go on another cruise and ask them to change the jewellery for you....I have done this couple of times no problem :D

As you are in Europe....there are a few ships around there just now...treat yourself to a last minute cruise :D :D

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

It does make sense to take better care of the 'gold by inch' than regular stuff. I've had pretty good luck over the years. I don't wear 24/7, and the couple of times I've had a problem - I've taken the piece back on the next cruise and they've replaced it. No receipt, and no questions asked. I think they general know they things they sell. Good luck.

The leaflet that came with your inch of gold has an address to mail it to if you have any problems, I think it is in West Palm. I have one necklace go bad, and they replaced that for me on my next cruise, everything else has been good

I have been wearing my ankle bracelet non stop since November and have had no problems with the inch of gold. I was very leery at first because if jewelry is not real gold it usually turns on me but, have been lucky with inch of gold...Later, Jill:cool:

Any idea if they will simply refund the money paid? We'll be on another cruise in September.

I have to admit that after my husband was convinced, I allowed myself to be suckered into purchasing gifts for the entire family. :(

It does make sense to take better care of the 'gold by inch' than regular stuff.

Kind of strange that you have to take better care of the cheap stuff then the real deal that actually has value to it.

I think folks would be a lot better off taking the money that they were going to spend on the junk stuff, go into downtown Phillipburg (St. Maarten) and put it toward something of real value that you will have forever and can leave to someone in your family someday. On our last Serenade cruise a lady was about to buy some stuff on the ship and I could tell by the way that she was talking that she had no idea what this stuff was. She thought that she was buying gold. So I took it upon myself to explain it to her at which point she told the clerk to forget it. Obviously, the clerk didn't consider me one of his best friends after that!

Thank you all so much. At least we get a laugh out of the junk we buy!!

Sue thanks - I will be on the Voyager in November and will get them to replace it!! Actually, I have used the nail varnish trick before and it works well. Didn't think of it for the necklace!!

However, I will be on a Princess cruise in August - is it the same firm? I think they also do the inch of gold! I will try on that one.

However, I will be on a Princess cruise in August - is it the same firm? I think they also do the inch of gold! I will try on that one.

I have seen the same inch of gold firm on every cruise I have ever been on no matter the line so you shouldn't have any problem!

I have several that I have had for years, but I do not wear them 24/7. You should really invest in the real thing if you want to do that. I bought my husband a real gold necklace 40 years ago which he never takes off and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

I had two braclets made a few years ago, one with sand dollar charms and the other had starfish charms. The starfish braclet began to tarnish almost immediately. I would wash it with soap and water as stated on the card that came with it, but the tarnish would return. I did send it to the address on the card and within a week, I had a brand new one. Same thing happened when I started to wear it again.

On the next cruise they told me it was the finish on the starfish, because it was textured???? Anyway they told me to bring it to them with the card and they would take care of it. Of course, I did not bring it on that cruise, but have it packed and ready for the next one. I did notice that they no longer offered the starfish charms.

We bought it on our very first cruise and it started to tarnish right away too, I called and I didn't want a replacement but my money back, I got a full refund.

Have not bought it since.

I don't think its tarnish - I think the gold has actually departed - dearly!!!!

Never fear, I will get a refund or another one - I am now on a MISSION!!!!

I do have a very nice gold one - thought for everyday I would have a cheapo!!! Expected a year or two!! For everyday I love the Anne Klein watches. The gold bit on them does wear off - but after a few years!!

As for using it for a toilet chain - we might live in England, but we do have modern water closets!!! No chain to pull, just a very genteel chrome handle, which one pushes down when one is finished!!

Wonder if the Queen has bought from Inch of Gold on her cruise this week!! May she has bought for her daughters-in-law from hell, as well?

unfortunately gold plated jewelry can't be worn in the shower...pool...etc.

You have to put it on and then take it off before you get it wet with soap, detergent or anything else.

Only then will it last.

They should tell you that.

Archived