Captain Larry's Whale Watching

EbayCruiser

Just back from our Prairie Home Companion Charter Cruise and out of everything we experienced (including APHC) the thing that I cannot get out of my mind is the AWESOME experience we had on Captain Larry's Whale Watching. I just cannot say enough .... if I could only do one excursion in Alaska then Captain Larry it would be!!!

We had a terrific time and even the crew mentioned that they were having a wonderful day and we would forever be spoiled by the tour. There were two species to be seen .... Orcas and Humpbacks. We only had to travel 5-6 miles out and the Humpbacks just jumped out of the water right in front of us in a feeding pod (we had the 4:00 p.m. tour and it was feeding time). We hung around there for awhile and then headed out to see the Orcas, he didn't want to lose track of them. We found them (3 Orcas) and got some great pictures .... wish I knew how to post them here. I spotted something over to the left of the boat and our guide said "oh those are just harbor porpoise" then he got all excited and said "we just might get to see a kill here, Orca's love harbour porpoise". About that time the porpoise headed over to our boat to hide I believe and one of the Orca's swam right up to our boat and snatched that porpoise up.

When we went back to the humpbacks it was just UNBELIEVABLE. We counted eleven in one pod. I was amazed at the size of these whales. Our boat was 51' and the whales were larger than that. We took some fantastic pictures and one time they came up right in front of our boat in their feeding pod and their mouths were wide open. It was almost like something out of horror film. One of them swam right under our boat and it took the guide by surprise (he was out on the front of boat filming) and he started running back towards the center of the boat. I was shocked at how enormous they were.

Anyway .... this tour is something that I shall always remember. It has inspired me to learn more about these amazing creatures.

Archived