help with N.Y

budfred

Will be flying into N.Y. from St.Louis which airport should I fly into that is the close to the cruise port thanks

Cab fare from LaGuardia should be around $28 into Manhattan.....and from JFK its a flat fare of $45 (plus tolls).

I'd rather fly into LaGuardia.......its not an international airport. I found this info:

Laguardia Airport is located just outside of Manhattan, on the Grand Central Parkway. If you arrive at Laguardia, come to Manhattan by going outside your terminal and getting on the line for a yellow cab. Don’t accept the offers you will receive from independent cab drivers inside the terminals. It won’t cost less, and it can cost much, much more. The cab fare into Manhattan from Laguardia is about $25 plus $4.50 if you take a toll bridge or tunnel plus tip (around $5 is the norm), (plus 50 cents off peak surcharge – economists, don’t ask... if you travel at night.). It will take you about 30 minutes to get into town, depending of course, on the time of day. There are also Manhattan bound buses and an airport shuttle available for less than a cab.

JFK Airport is somewhat farther from Manhattan, but the trip in is no more difficult. Again, just hop in a yellow cab outside your terminal. The fare is a flat $45 to any destination in Manhattan in a yellow cab from JFK. It will take 45 minutes or so, again, depending.

I would go with the cheapest flight. JFK is the furthest

away, but usually has the best prices. Go to the "United States" link under ports of call and searh "Manhattan".

(If you search NY you will also get Red Hook in Brooklyn)

You will find alot of information there.

This might need to be a sticky. It seems to come up at least once a week.

One hint not mentioned yet on this one, but has been mentioned before. Figure out what airports you even have flights that you can take first.

Based on past postings, LGA seems to lead in choice, then Newark and then JFK.

I think there is more information on the PORTs of CALL boards on NYC.

On a related note - you should seriously think about spending a day or two in NYC since you are already there. Great city to see, and you eliminate the worries of your flight being late or delayed as well.

My vote would be Newark, b/c I would then take the train to Penn Station and then walk or cab over to the pier...

You must be in great shape, and have luggage that is well-made. It is difficult enough for most people to lug their luggage across 12th Avenue to hail a cab.

Penn Station is on 34th and 8th and the pier is on 54th and 12th, it is no easy "walk", even when not dragging a week's worth of luggage. jmo

I vote for LGA, especially on a weekend morning, the traffic is light.

I agree with Got2Cruise....dont even attempt to walk from Penn station. Its a very long walk pulling & carrying your luggage, not to mention its the winter.

Last Nov. I went to work a half day in the city ( cruise left on a thursday) and walked from 46th and 10th to the pier with our luggage not an easy task.

When taking a cab to the pier from the airport you will hit loads of traffic in the city....its a weekday the streets are packed with cabs, buses, trucks, cars and people. Give yourself extra time to get there.

I think LGA and Newark are the closes but Newark is a busy one just as JFK. I would fly into LGA.

Good luck.

Linda

Linda

Thanks for all of the help. My wife and I have never been to N.Y. and will coming in 2 days early. Could someone give me the names of some hotels close to the cruise port also. Thanks again

The island of Manhatten isn't that big. The area right around the port is not that nice. Almost anywhere in Manhatten will be fine. Pick a hotel you like & can afford. As my father jokes, when you come to NYC pack 2 suitcases -- 1 for clothes & 1 for money. :eek:

I want to offer up one additional airport not yet mentioned.

We have found that it is often cheaper than the others because they are trying to increase business.

NorthWest and USAir are the two largest airlines there.

Try the White Plains Airport (also called Westchester County), airport code HPN.

At times during the holidays, it can be more than $100 cheaper than the other 3.

Should you save that much per person, then the additional taxi fees will still be covered.

Good Luck.

The island of Manhatten isn't that big. The area right around the port is not that nice. Almost anywhere in Manhatten will be fine. Pick a hotel you like & can afford. As my father jokes, when you come to NYC pack 2 suitcases -- 1 for clothes & 1 for money. :eek:

Ditto. The area around the port is rather dismal.

For the money, I like any of the Affina.com hotels, The NY Salisbury in Midtown/Central Park South, the Park South in Murray Hill, and the Manhattan Seaport Suites/Exchange Hotel downtown. Also, the Applecore Hotels are quite a bargain.

Beware, Manhattan has the highest ADR (average daily rate) in the country at $240+ per night. Anything under $200 is a deal.

LGA is my airport of choice for Manhattan and I've flown in and out at least 100 times.

People will tell you Newark and the Airtrain is quick and easy but I've always found it to be a big PIA especially trying to schlep luggage on and off the train. No one to help you.

Also, once you get to Penn Station (don't even get me started about dragging luggage up the escalators) you STILL have to catch a cab. Luggage on the subway is a dumb idea unless you really know what you are doing and are not traveling peak times.

As others have mentioned, Manhattan is small, BUT, there are things to consider when making your hotel ressies to make your life easier. The first is, what do you want to do when in Manhattan? Museums?, Broadway?, Times Square?, Shopping? Are you able to walk a couple of miles a day?, would you be willing to take the subway or bus? Answer these questions first, and then make your hotel ressies. It will make life much easier. When I am a tourist in another city, I like to stay near where I will be visiting, this way it makes life much easier.

That said, I know there is a Holiday Inn close to the pier which gets very good reviews and is in a good area. The Milford Plaza is a lower-priced tourist hotel in the theater district. Try booking through the hotel website on the internet. I have found that internet sites usually have "internet only" specials. Do NOT book the Hotel Pennsylvania, the place is run down and disgusting (my sister-in-law from Utah stayed there)

Go to Fodors.com or tripadvisor.com, which is in the same vein as CC, but it is people who recommend hotels. . .maybe someone over there can tell you how they got a good deal.

It's in the financial district, but right on the Hudson River. Also close to 9/11 site & Battery Park ferry to SOL. It it about 4 miles up west side hwy to the cruise ship terminal. We are looking at the Double Tree TS post cruise.

Also planning arrival in LGA.

Jacquelyn :D

It's in the financial district, but right on the Hudson River. Also close to 9/11 site & Battery Park ferry to SOL. It it about 4 miles up west side hwy to the cruise ship terminal. We are looking at the Double Tree TS post cruise.

Also planning arrival in LGA.

Sounds Great. Do you know that you can buy your Statute of Liberty tickets in advance, and then no waiting in long lines?

I'm looking into that. We may try to do the SOL the morning our cruise leaves. After a good breakfast at ES we should be able to get back and get to the cruise terminal by noon.

Fleet week is going on the weekend we arrive. The ES put us near the Intrepid events and the Seaport Museum events.

Still about 10 months away, but half the fun is planning it all! :)

I'm looking into that. We may try to do the SOL the morning our cruise leaves. After a good breakfast at ES we should be able to get back and get to the cruise terminal by noon. Do you know just how far you can walk up into the statue now? I've heard both stories that you can and you can't.

Fleet week is going on the weekend we arrive. The ES put us near the Intrepid events and the Seaport Museum events.

Still about 10 months away, but half the fun is planning it all! :)

Archived